Investing in Dallas Rental Property from Austin

Investing in Dallas Rental Property from Austin

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi all, 

I'm new to the site and in full on learning mode right now, so please forgive me if I ask any rudimentary questions. I've bought several houses of my own in the past, but never invested. I'm thinking of moving some of my stock market investments to real estate... to diversify, and because it sounds more fun and tangible. While reading "The Book on Rental Property Investing" I became interested in the potential of renting properties with a good price to rent ratio. That being said, there are zero in Austin (where I live) that meet that criteria. 

In spending a few hours on Zillow, I've found a few neighborhoods in Dallas (and some in San Antonio) that meet that criteria. Namely, Cedar Crest and South Dallas / Fair Park. At face (Zillow) value the numbers seem to work. There are several 3 bed / 2 bath, 1k - 1500 sqft houses, selling for 60 - 70k. There are comp rentals going for 900 - 1.3k. Before crunching the numbers more or even thinking of making an offer, I have a few concerns:  

  • I'm in Austin, that means building a network of contractors, agents, etc. in Dallas that I don't have
  • I'm busy at work, and am not a full time investor, is it possible to be "hands-off" and still be successful on a first rental like the one I'm considering? 
  • Whatever I buy will need a little work. It's tough managing contractors doing work on my own house where I live. Is it possible (best practices) for finding managing, and ensuring quality work of contractors from afar? 
  • Any other show stoppers or other considerations I should be making? 

Thanks sharing your time and experience with a newbie everyone! 

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 432 posts · 341 votes
8y

@Dustin Maxey if you're finding 3/2's for 60-70k - I would be very weary. I wholesaled a deal in south Dallas last year for around 90k and it was a complete gut job. 

In regards to your questions - yes you can be an out of city or state investor and still be successful. You just need a great team in place. This will be your biggest hurdle - but you are only in Austin so driving up for a potential property under contract isn't impossible either. 

The last thing is - if you purchase any of these properties, do the work, and try to get it rented out... who do you think will be renting properties where the average property value is 50-70k? Just food for thought.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    I am from Dallas and would say you should use caution investing in South Dallas or Fairpark. They are what I would say Class D areas. Especially being remote and your first time, it might be hard to invest in such a rough area. There are parts of Fort Worth that are decent. Maybe not as good cash flow wise as South Dallas, but if the tenant doesn't pay for 2 months of the year, it really doesn't matter.

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 432 posts · 341 votes
    8y

    @Dustin Maxey if you're finding 3/2's for 60-70k - I would be very weary. I wholesaled a deal in south Dallas last year for around 90k and it was a complete gut job. 

    In regards to your questions - yes you can be an out of city or state investor and still be successful. You just need a great team in place. This will be your biggest hurdle - but you are only in Austin so driving up for a potential property under contract isn't impossible either. 

    The last thing is - if you purchase any of these properties, do the work, and try to get it rented out... who do you think will be renting properties where the average property value is 50-70k? Just food for thought.

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 834 posts · 449 votes
    8y

    Dustin,

    Definitely stay around Austin for your first few deals. You will get very little hands on training with remote deals. Working FT is not a hindrance either. There are 24 hours in a day.... You can meet on the project every morning or after which is what you need to do on your first few deals. 

    Join some free REI clubs, find a mentor, make a plan, make some goals....

    Inventory current assets to see if your goals are realistic.

    I would start by finding a mentor and setting some goals to determine which direction to go in.

  • Developer · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Dustin Maxey If you are going to be an out of city or out of state investor you will definitely need a local team you can trust. 

    I recommend working with an investor-friendly brokerage that can help you throughout the entire process of purchasing, renovating, renting and managing your rental property. @Seth Teel, broker/owner of Somos Real is a top contributor here on BP and very active investor here in San Antonio. Great person to reach out to!

    I also wholesale & invest here invest here in San Antonio. I'd love to help any way I can.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    San Antonio is an interesting prospect because I have some family members that live in the area and could, in my dad's words, "Get your brother to drive by and make sure the house isn't on fire." However, if possible to find a deal in Austin, I'd prefer it... Thanks for the responses, that was partially what tilted me in that direction. 

    That being said, I'd like to invest in a MFH, or possibly a SFH that needs a little fixing up. For both, the numbers make a little more sense in SA.

    @Mark, I'll definitely reach out to you or Seth as well. If I find a property to make an offer on in SA, a remote team, or insider advice on the area beyond what my family could give would be great. 

  • Lender · Irving, TX · Member since 2012 · 175 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Dustin Maxey I would attend the Lifestyles Unlimited meetings in either San Antonio or Austin. They have offices in San Antonio, Austin, DFW and Houston. They helped us purchase 4 rentals in DFW and 4 in Houston, they make it very easy to be very hands off and still get great returns. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.