Do I need a CPA as a rookie investor?

Do I need a CPA as a rookie investor?

Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 12 votes

I bought my first small multifamily BRRRR deal in January of 2019 and started collecting rent for it in October of 2019. I am assuming now that I own a property, it would be wise for me to get a CPA because I have heard plenty of times that a good CPA will save you more than what you pay them. Where should I look to find a good real estate savvy CPA and what questions should I ask to make sure they are a good choice for me? I live in San Antonio by the way. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Multi-family Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 9 votes
6y
Originally posted by @Brian Thomas:

I bought my first small multifamily BRRRR deal in January of 2019 and started collecting rent for it in October of 2019. I am assuming now that I own a property, it would be wise for me to get a CPA because I have heard plenty of times that a good CPA will save you more than what you pay them. Where should I look to find a good real estate savvy CPA and what questions should I ask to make sure they are a good choice for me? I live in San Antonio by the way. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Brian, the best source of CPA and other members of your team (like contractors, lenders, real estate agents, etc) has always been REFERRALS. So attend your local REIA and ask other investors to refer you the right CPA.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Multi-family Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Thomas:

    I bought my first small multifamily BRRRR deal in January of 2019 and started collecting rent for it in October of 2019. I am assuming now that I own a property, it would be wise for me to get a CPA because I have heard plenty of times that a good CPA will save you more than what you pay them. Where should I look to find a good real estate savvy CPA and what questions should I ask to make sure they are a good choice for me? I live in San Antonio by the way. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

    Brian, the best source of CPA and other members of your team (like contractors, lenders, real estate agents, etc) has always been REFERRALS. So attend your local REIA and ask other investors to refer you the right CPA.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    I 100% recomend CPAs, especially if you make money apart from real estate. I would also like to hear specific recomendations san antonio folks have for "real estate friendly" CPAs here. Thanks

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Thomas Yes!  I would get a CPA to help you with your tax strategy... at the very least.  I would also pay a bookkeeper to help set up your books properly so you can track income/expenses.  That way you can pass these off at a later date.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 307 votes
    6y

    I would definitely recommend building that relationship with a CPA for what you have and even more so if you plan on going bigger in the future. Due to BP rules I don't believe I'm supposed to post any CPA recommendations here but if you send me a message I'm happy to help.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Stone Saathoff, it's fine to post recommendations as long as you're not financially benefitting from them. Also, please link to web sites rather than email or phone numbers

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 307 votes
    6y

    http://guerrerocpa.com/

    Probably the best and most well known CPA among rental owners in San Antonio. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Brian Thomas I know a realtor who also happens to be a CPA, which in my mind is a pretty deadly combo. She has a knack for finding good properties and understands the tax implications. DM if you want her contact information.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Yes, you definitely need a CPA! As you grow you will probably go through several of them, and that's ok! But you want to make sure your house is in order from the get go, it will be a lot more expensive to undo mistakes later than to do things right the first time!

  • Gita FaustBusiness Member
    Accountant · Richboro - Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2008 · 901 posts · 246 votes
    6y

    I would - but before you set a meeting up with your advisor - take reports that track your money using a software - cost segregate and differentiate between expenses vs improvements vs repaying loans.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Thomas

    Are you open to working with an accountant remotely?

    I would prioritize finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local.
    There are 20+ accountants on this message board who specialize in real estate taxation. Feel free to reach out to a couple and use the one you connect with the most.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Michael King can I have her contacts as well?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Gita Faust got confused with this. Do you mind expounding on it?

  • Gita FaustBusiness Member
    Accountant · Richboro - Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2008 · 901 posts · 246 votes
    6y

    @Stephen Bianes 

    It starts with keeping track of all your money in and out including expenses incurred in training, research, networking etc. 

    A question such as do I need a bookkeeper, accountant, tax advisor, real estate strategist, CPA, Tax Preparer -- one has to gather all statements (bank, credit card, loan...), receipts, closing doc, and get them organized including any money paid in cash or via personal accounts.

    If you are the DIY kind of person, need to either use a software or paper/pencil to track details such as repairs vs improvements that increase the value of the property, the word is "detail" to take advantage of accelerated depreciation. When recording it in one place, you will have the reports at your fingertips. If not just outsource your bookkeeping. When you go to see a CPA they will be able to advise you personally and your real estate business.

    Now that you have it all ready, you take your business to the next level.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Gita Faust thank you for taking the time to explain this. I’ll apply this to my new RE company.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 17 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Bianes:

    @Michael King can I have her contacts as well?

    @Stephen Bianes Sure, please DM me and I'll pass over her email. Thanks! 

  • Matt StricklenPro Member
    Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2020 · 224 posts · 152 votes
    6y
    please send me that contact as well. 


    Originally posted by @Michael King:

    @Brian Thomas I know a realtor who also happens to be a CPA, which in my mind is a pretty deadly combo. She has a knack for finding good properties and understands the tax implications. DM if you want her contact information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.