Forming a partnership agreement for a 1st time investor

Forming a partnership agreement for a 1st time investor

Investor · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone. I've been listening to/reading BP for a few months now and just found a way to buy my first investment property by partnering with a friend! I'm excited to get started, but I've heard and read over and over that we should get a formal partnership agreement in place before purchasing the house. I'm a little unsure how to get started and was a bit intimidated by the costs when I started calling around to ask Knoxville attorneys.

Can anyone help to answer a few of my questions?

1. Any recommendations for Knoxville (or other area?) attorneys?

2. What is a rough estimate to form a partnership between 2 people splitting a single family home 50/50? I've heard $1,000-$1,500, but the estimates I've gotten so far have been $2,000-$3,500.

3. Does anyone have or can suggest somewhere to find a decent template for what should be included in a partnership agreement? I've read through a lot of posts and found a lot of details to include, but it would be helpful to see a full example. 

In case it helps, here are a few additional details about the house:

I'm in Knoxville, but the house is in Georgia. We'll pay in cash, so no mortgage to worry about. I'm paying a slightly higher cost up front, but from then on, we'll split everything 50/50. My partner will be living in the house for at least a few months before hopefully purchasing another house in the area to flip, at which point we will rent out the house to someone new.

Thank you for your help!

0Reply
10 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.