Electrician Possiblly Walking Off The Job

Electrician Possiblly Walking Off The Job

Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys I'm a new BP member but I have been reading and lurking around the forums for sometime.

Ok, so I feel I'm sort of in a stressful situation. In short, I have a family member that has been working on the electrical in my house.

The house is really important to me mainly because I pulled equity from for the various rehabs and its all that I have left from my Dad passing away last Thanksgiving.

The general scope of work is a complete rewire and I do trust him, as I have seen some of his past work for others.

However, I feel that he may just walk off the job because he wanted me to pay him for more money for job that is not yet completed.

I have already paid him about 75% of the funds, not to mention me procuring all of the material.

That said, the only components really left put all the breakers into the new panel, wiring smoke alarms, and some outside lighting.

I just dont know what to do because, no permits were pulled for this. I feel I was just under stressful time after my Dad passed that I just wanted to get the job rolling.

With the above in mind, what would you do? Would anyone be willing to provide me contractor that could finish this job? The house is in Philadelphia.

I feel so dumb for trusting family and not getting permit..sigh.... but I wont make these mistakes again.

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Did you have an agreement on the payment schedule before hand? I believe that's the basis of reality/expectation that needs to be cemented.

I would never provide more than 25% up front. I usually shoot for 10% and materials.

I just had an electrician help me in Gloucester City, NJ - I paid for all materials up front and since he knows my PM, the full payment was due on confirmation of everything working.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Did you have an agreement on the payment schedule before hand? I believe that's the basis of reality/expectation that needs to be cemented.

    I would never provide more than 25% up front. I usually shoot for 10% and materials.

    I just had an electrician help me in Gloucester City, NJ - I paid for all materials up front and since he knows my PM, the full payment was due on confirmation of everything working.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Well, not to make you feel worse, but is he a lic/bonded electrician?  Did you pull the permits?

    You can always get an electrician to clean up, will be more than a normal charge though.

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Joe P. No, a pay scheduled wasn't formally documented but you are right it is the basis for his and my concerns. I should have been way smarter than this. I guess I trusted family to much.

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Steve Morris licensed yes bonded no. I will say he use to work big commercial jobs out in the Maryland area.

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Don't beat yourself up to much, I've made similar mistakes. It sounds like you're pretty close to completion. Ask around-realtors, friends in the trades etc for a recommendation on an electrician that will be willing to help you out without making it a big deal with city inspectors. You'll find one. You'll probably spend a little more money but be able to keep yourself out of trouble with the city. Education costs and The School of Hard Knocks is the most expensive.

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael J Hartnett Jr:

    Don't beat yourself up to much, I've made similar mistakes. It sounds like you're pretty close to completion. Ask around-realtors, friends in the trades etc for a recommendation on an electrician that will be willing to help you out without making it a big deal with city inspectors. You'll find one. You'll probably spend a little more money but be able to keep yourself out of trouble with the city. Education costs and The School of Hard Knocks is the most expensive.

    Thanks for the kind words. I will try to ask around. The distance from the house (150 miles) makes it another rough factor but I have some friends in the area.  I will never forget that last line of yours...that is the 100% true.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @James Sanluc

    It sounds like he's farther along than 75%. Putting in breakers is a couple hours, same for smoke alarms and exterior fixtures. If those are really the only items left it sounds like he has less than a day left of work.

    Am I missing something???

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Todd Rasmussen:

    @James Sanluc

    It sounds like he's farther along than 75%. Putting in breakers is a couple hours, same for smoke alarms and exterior fixtures. If those are really the only items left it sounds like he has less than a day left of work.

    Am I missing something???

    I owe him about 1K of the overall price (remember I paid for materials) so I wanted to leave some snag of meat on the bone. Here is a complete list of whats left. Maybe if I say hey look here is 1.5k - 2K finish this off and we are good?

    • Smoke detector wiring
    • Outside lights
    • Kitchen lighting and receptacles ,
    • fix receptacles that are indented into the wall on 2nd floor
    • finish installing switches on first floor
    • straighten outside service pole
    • Finish wiring breaker box
    • install exterior receptacle
    • Install receptacle next to breaker box.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.