Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Philadelphia Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Malik K.
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
First time house hacker

Malik K.
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Jan 25 2024, 17:29

Hello,

I currently live in Philadelphia but may move in the future to NYC. I was wondering what would be some good areas to consider for a first time house hacker. It seems triplexes or quadplexes are the ones that are best for cash flow with an FHA? Are they harder to manage than duplexes? I was thinking about getting a 1 bedroom for myself and then having 2-3 other 1 bedroom units for renters.

I have a fair amount of savings so I was wondering whether there’s any benefit to putting 20-25% down instead of 3.5%? It seems most properties in good neighborhoods are in the 600k+ range? Will it take years for me to be able to cash flow in that case? I’m trying to figure out if it makes more sense to just do easy investing in the stock market especially if I plan to move out of philly to nyc in the near future. On the other hand people keep telling me there’s never a “good or bad time to buy”.

Sorry for the barrage of questions but would really appreciate any advice/insight! Thanks! 

Loading replies...