Skip to content
Cleveland Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
David K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chagrin Falls, OH
Votes |
Excessive water bills in CLE - leak, tenant, or both?

David K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chagrin Falls, OH
Posted Dec 5 2020, 09:24

Ultimately, my question is how much a running toilet / leaking kitchen sink could reasonably impact average water bills. But first please let me provide a little specific background and why I am crunched for time to figure this out. I purchased a duplex on west side of Cleveland (44111) a few months ago and have inherited tenants. Generally for a standard duplex (2 BD / 1 BTH each), I budget $150 month / $1,800 year for water/sewer. My other properties generally perform in that range, give or take. However, my water/sewer bills on this new duplex for the past two months are just off the charts excessive, averaging almost $485 per month. And if that holds, it would come out to just under $5,900 for a year.

Now, from reading/research I understand that water leaks, and particularly a running toilet, are often the culprits for excessive water bills. And last month we DID do repairs on both a leaking kitchen faucet and a running toilet. So, I have no doubt that these are a part of the problem. But for others who have had similar problems, does the water bill still seem excessively high for a running toilet / leaking sink? (I know I'm asking a broad question given that size of leaks will have a big impact, but in general.) Or are the current bills more likely to be a combination of the prior leaks and just high tenant usage?

Normally, I would let a month go by to see what the new water/sewer bill is a full cycle after the repairs. But the time crunch is that both tenants' leases expire at the end of the month, so I quickly need to figure out rent for next year for trying to get them under contract. While I don't like being in a position where I'm increasing rent too much and may create turnover, I feel like I'm taking a gamble assuming the excessive bills were all created by the leaks. Even if the leaks were only half the problem for the high bills, and the other half is tenant usage, then I still need to make a bigger rent adjustment than I had planned. (In theory a larger increase shouldn't be a problem because the current rents are well below market, but still...)

Again, I know it's likely impossible to get a definitive answer absent letting another billing cycle go through, but any general comments or insight from others who have had similar problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Loading replies...