Real Estate Investing in Cleveland, OH

Real Estate Investing in Cleveland, OH

New to Real Estate · Leonia, NJ · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 3 votes

I've been speaking with family members regarding buy and hold strategies and Cleveland, OH has come up a few times (they are not from the area).  Can BPers who have invested in or have first hand knowledge (second hand can work as well...) give any advice on investing in Cleveland, OH?  What are the places that are are poised for growth (and merit investment), areas that are already up and coming, and areas that are considered hot markets?  What areas are probably not ideal for a newbie investor?  And is buy and hold a sensible strategy for the Cleveland market or is fix 'n' flip a better angle?  Thanks!

1Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
6y

@Guillermo Kennedy I have been doing business out there for about 10 years, the last 5, 7 years flipping about 500 props . We used to provide 25- 30% net caps, now 10- 14% as pricing has increased. Its all about your team . If I tell you where, what good is that going to do ?  All you are going to do is sit on the internet , waste of time. You do not live there , you do not have a team to do what is needed. Most  researches things to death and do nothing . 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 147 votes
    6y

    @Guillermo Kennedy - two questions to start:

    1) Would this be your first real estate investment? If no, where do you currently have properties?

    2) Are you looking to join capital with family?

    Regarding Cleveland I've been investing there for the past 2.5 years (currently at 28 units). Compared to our other portfolios I prefer Cleveland based on the yield, ability to operate, great selection across classes (A-F), changing national reputation, price points, and the fact that I simply like going there (I live in Boston). 

    From a location standpoint our investments (small multi-family) are in Edgewater, Ohio City, Newburgh Heights, and East Cleveland. Each area has their pros and cons so it depends on your strategy. We are buy and hold investors, not fix and flip. My view is that you should decide on a strategy first as they are two different business models. 

    The best way to get familiar with any area is to get on a plane and go see for yourself - I cannot recommend this enough. 

    PM me if you have any other questions - happy to help. 

    JC

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    6y

    @Guillermo Kennedy I have been doing business out there for about 10 years, the last 5, 7 years flipping about 500 props . We used to provide 25- 30% net caps, now 10- 14% as pricing has increased. Its all about your team . If I tell you where, what good is that going to do ?  All you are going to do is sit on the internet , waste of time. You do not live there , you do not have a team to do what is needed. Most  researches things to death and do nothing . 

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Guillermo Kennedy:

    I've been speaking with family members regarding buy and hold strategies and Cleveland, OH has come up a few times (they are not from the area).  Can BPers who have invested in or have first hand knowledge (second hand can work as well...) give any advice on investing in Cleveland, OH?  What are the places that are are poised for growth (and merit investment), areas that are already up and coming, and areas that are considered hot markets?  What areas are probably not ideal for a newbie investor?  And is buy and hold a sensible strategy for the Cleveland market or is fix 'n' flip a better angle?  Thanks!

     Cleveland is a great place to invest. I would stick to the more stable suburbs where cash-flow is steady. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Guillermo Kennedy:

    I've been speaking with family members regarding buy and hold strategies and Cleveland, OH has come up a few times (they are not from the area).  Can BPers who have invested in or have first hand knowledge (second hand can work as well...) give any advice on investing in Cleveland, OH?  What are the places that are are poised for growth (and merit investment), areas that are already up and coming, and areas that are considered hot markets?  What areas are probably not ideal for a newbie investor?  And is buy and hold a sensible strategy for the Cleveland market or is fix 'n' flip a better angle?  Thanks!

     Only place you should fix n flip is your hometown. Going out of state has more risk as presumably you've got the following working against you.

    • Lower than average market knowledge.
    • Lower than average number of contacts.
    • Lower than average ability to do things yourself if need be.



    As for rentals that's a bit more passive as your Property Management team can handle a lot of the workload. Saw Cleveland's on your short list so I figured you'd get some value out of reading The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. In addition, there are tons of other turnkey markets out there besides Cleveland. Many of these markets are very well represented by sellers & turnkey operators here on BiggerPockets. In no particular order I have listed some of the most popular markets for out of state investors

    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Dayton, Ohio
    • Toledo, Ohio
    • Youngstown, Ohio
    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Memphis, Tennessee
    • Birmingham, Alabama
    • Kansas City, Missouri
    • Saint Louis, Missouri
    • Indianapolis, Indiana
    • Detroit, Michigan
    • Erie, Pennsylvania
    • Louisville, Kentucky
    • Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    • Jackson, Mississippi

    Each of these markets is popular with turnkey investors because of the low barrier to entry, high rental demand & high rent to price ratio. I recommend setting up keyword alerts for each area as they are discussed in the forums daily with advertisements posted in the BiggerPockets marketplace hourly.

    One thing to note when looking at the individual markets, you can make or loose money in any market. Don't think that one particular out of state market will shoot you to success or abject failure. It's not really that complicated to buy out of state. It only becomes complicated when investors try to over complicate or over think everything. Whenever you are buying a property out of state you should do a few things to ensure it's as smooth as possible.

    • Don't buy in the roughest neighborhood in the urban core. Pick a solid B-Class suburban area. Perhaps a nice 1950's built bungalow.
    • Always hire a 3rd party property inspector to give you an unbiased feel for the home. The reports are 40-90 pages long and go through the entire house in great detail.
    • Get an appraisal. If your using financing the bank requires this. This is good. The bank isn't going to let you blow their money. They have more skin in the game then you do.
    • Make sure you get clear title. If using a lender this is a non issue. They will make you do this. It's those maniacs that buy homes cash via quit claim deed off of craigslist that really get screwed.
    • Make sure your property manager is a licensed real estate brokerage.
    • Google Clayton Morris and/or Morris Invest for a cautionary tale of what not to do when buying turnkey real estate
    • Understand you can not eliminate all risk, only mitigate it. If you are risk adverse real estate, (especially out of state) is not for you.
  • Real Estate Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks James

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes
    6y

    Buy Quality for your first buy and hold, not just numbers. I prefer to take dependable stable rents over high rents that aren't guaranteed next month before of the neighborhood. Don't try to bite off more than you can take on.

    A SFR is a good way to start. Pass on Water and Sewer onto the tenants to minimize your costs.

  • New to Real Estate · Leonia, NJ · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    WOW!  This is why I LOVE the BP community!  The responses are awesome, informative, and greatly appreciated!  

    @Account Closed For me, this would be a reintroduction into real estate investing. My first foray didn't end as successfully as I would have liked, however, was definitely a learning experience (my BP bio has a high level walkthrough of my initial experience with real estate investing). The family members involved are more seasoned than I and within that group some moreso than others. And yes, we are looking to combine capital along with hard money (or private) to acquire property(ies). Our main focus is the BRRRR strategy, however, the rehab and refinance appears to be an issue. Looking to secure funds from a bank or HML on a property of $30k or less seems to be quite the challenge. If you have any advice/information/recommendations on this I would love to hear it!

    Jeff (can I call you Jeff?), would definitely love to touch base with you.  First and foremost you are from Boston (New Englanders are awesome!) and second am very impressed with you and your family's acquisition (and I would imagine successful management) of 28 units in 2.5 years!  That is quite an achievement!  Very interested in hearing how you achieved this.  

    @Bob Prisco Well, if this statement isn't like a double espresso shot in the morning to get you up and going I don't know what is!  Motivation style is different but I get it, I get it!  Appreciate the virtual kick in the pants!  I see you have a lot of experience in Cleveland, OH RE market.  Your statement holds true - a team is needed to be successful in Cleveland, OH or any market for that matter.  Will definitely keep your name on my shortlist as someone I should speak with as we will need seasoned veterans to help us navigate this market.  

    @Tom Ott Thanks for pin pointing the type of area we should invest in - it definitely helps to lockdown the type of area you should invest in.  Helps to focus our efforts.  I see that you raise equity and provide turnkey properties as well.  Could you elaborate as to what areas you do this in and a little bit about both (I've read about both but never turn down the opportunity to hear from someone who actually does it - may learn something new!)?

    @James Wise Talk about drinking from a fire hose!!!  WOW!  You provided a ton of information - THANK YOU!  That is awesome!  I also got a chance to check out your youtube channel which has a ton of great information and videos.  You are one gutsy guy, fashioned out of brass they are - new sub!

    @Carl Zingle Thanks for thanking James?

    @Federico Gutierrez Appreciate that information. When starting out, many (including me) want to get in and secure as many doors as possible within a short time period (fell into that trap my 1st time I got into real estate and paid DEARLY for it!) to leave current job, secure financial freedom faster, bragging rights, prove something to ourselves or even others. In some cases, quality over quantity is the way to go. And SFR with sewage and water costs passed onto tenants - got it! Is this standard language on a normal lease agreement in Cleveland is will this language have to be added to lease? Also, is this the norm for Cleveland tenants to pay sewer and water costs?

    Thank you all for this information - this is why I LOVE BP!!!  An awesome, highly knowledgeable, and open community willing to share information and provide guidance to all who ask. Hopefully, no one will object to me reaching out in the near future with questions?

    Stay awesome, folks!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Cleveland is a great place to invest. I just recently got my real estate license and am going to start soon!

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Great information 

  • Real Estate Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks to everyone, I had just finished with James post and I was thanking for the list that he provided.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.