Las Vegas ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units aka granny flats)

Las Vegas ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units aka granny flats)

Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes

Hello Las Vegas landlords. I'm starting to install some ADUs on flips on some local properties. I am looking for anyone with experience. If you have had one installed or thinking about it I would love to hear how its been and what it has done for your cashflow, appreciation, and financing. Are they worth it and what was the cost you had? Thanks

2Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

San Francisco Ca · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 17 votes
6y

Hi @Omar,

I specialize in prefab ADUs and work with many investors in the Bay Area. I can confidently say it is worth it for a Buy n Hold investment! Why? Building ADUs tends to be a much lower cost than buying another SFR, and it can provide just the same monthly cash flow like any other rental with impressive cap rates and returns.

However, if this will be a fix n flip project, there will be uncertainty because appraisers might not provide absolutes. Commonly they use sales comps analysis and look for similar homes with ADUs sold previously. Most likely, the area won’t have enough data for an appraiser to provide a fair comp analysis for a flip project, thus potentially leading to a loss in returns.

The new laws for CA beginning this year have made ADUs a popular topic in the real estate world because of the relaxed regulations. Undoubtedly it is a safe bet to build ADUs to hold on for 5-10 years as the market catches on to this trend.

As goes for financing, the most common alternatives that I’ve seen are as follows:

  1. Refi/ Heloc- This has been the most preferred alternative since the historic low-interest rates we’ve seen in the market.
  2. Construction loan- May allow loans based on future projected value.
  3. Unsecured/ Hard Money- This is another alternative but typically with a much higher interest rate.

I hope this helps, and glad to discuss more!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Henderson, NV · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    Haven't done it, but was looking to do the same thing. I've read different things on zoning. How are those flips zoned? Are they  RS zoned?

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    6y

    @Rico Nasol Well most people concentrate on flipping SFR and ADUs are allowed on almost all homes zoned residential as long as it has the proper set backs. I'm in the process of installing a couple right now and starting the permit process. Pretty straight forward. I'll be making a post with progress soon.

  • San Francisco Ca · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Hi @Omar,

    I specialize in prefab ADUs and work with many investors in the Bay Area. I can confidently say it is worth it for a Buy n Hold investment! Why? Building ADUs tends to be a much lower cost than buying another SFR, and it can provide just the same monthly cash flow like any other rental with impressive cap rates and returns.

    However, if this will be a fix n flip project, there will be uncertainty because appraisers might not provide absolutes. Commonly they use sales comps analysis and look for similar homes with ADUs sold previously. Most likely, the area won’t have enough data for an appraiser to provide a fair comp analysis for a flip project, thus potentially leading to a loss in returns.

    The new laws for CA beginning this year have made ADUs a popular topic in the real estate world because of the relaxed regulations. Undoubtedly it is a safe bet to build ADUs to hold on for 5-10 years as the market catches on to this trend.

    As goes for financing, the most common alternatives that I’ve seen are as follows:

    1. Refi/ Heloc- This has been the most preferred alternative since the historic low-interest rates we’ve seen in the market.
    2. Construction loan- May allow loans based on future projected value.
    3. Unsecured/ Hard Money- This is another alternative but typically with a much higher interest rate.

    I hope this helps, and glad to discuss more!

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    How did it go and were you able to refi and profit from the addition? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bay Area & ABQ · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Omar Merced How did it go with your ADU project?

  • Investor · Las Vegas & British Columbia · Member since 2016 · 96 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    Following up on this? How'd it go? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.