So I’ve been to a couple notes seminars... now what?

So I’ve been to a couple notes seminars... now what?

Specialist · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes

I’ve attended NoteExpo 2018 and the recent Note Camp, and I’ve walked away with a colossal list of vendors for things I apparently need but didn’t realize I need. However, what I still don’t have is knowledge of the basic nuts and bolts of notes investing; although, Note Camp did a really good job of hosting some sessions where they walked through some basics in detail. So Scott Carson did a good job there.

Nonetheless, how do I even price a note? Let’s start there! How do I even figure out the fair market value of the damn thing??

Lots of “abnormal returns” case studies are thrown out, numbers are spouted off at lightning speed, and people are told, “It’s that easy.” Okay. Then why can’t anyone stop to talk about something as basic and supposedly “easy” as simple pricing? Let’s walk through that first before you tell me how easy I’ll apparently become a gazillionaire.

This seems like a basic thing, and I can’t find a good source for some of this. And no, I’m not paying someone thousands of dollars to show me how to present value a future cash flow expectation. I can do that all day long myself, and when I do, none of the note prices I’m seeing come remotely close to making sense. That’s what I’m missing, and it’s what I get the feeling a lot of others are missing too.

For example, I brought up Fed rate increases to one guy and asked how they’d affect the fair market value of notes, and he said, “It won’t really; that’s not how the notes market works.” Uh what? Since when are debt instruments traded in a secondary OTC market not rate sensitive? So you’re telling me duration and convexity don’t apply to fixed income instruments anymore? lolwut

THAT’s the sort of thing I’m talking about. Some of these supposedly simple things are not making sense.

Is there a basic guide out there that explains some of this at a low level? I’m not opposed to buying a well written technical book or article, but I’m not doing the whole, “Give me $2,000 and we’ll talk basics” thing.

My impression of the notes market so far is there is limited market transparency with zero to limited price discovery. Basically, people are making up what they want it to be, and a few have gotten lucky doing that. Maybe that’s accruate and maybe it’s not.

Any recommendations from the smart people on here on where to go to bridge these knowledge gaps? I’m looking for solid technical references, as I’ve not been able to find myself (so I’m clearly not looking in the right places).

Any help would be appreciated.

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Mitchellville, MD · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 6 votes
7y

Hi Gordon,  I’m new to notes and I was at the Note Expo also.  I completely understand your frustration.  Here are a couple things that helped me and you may found useful:

1. Note Closers Show Podcast Episode #361 by Scott Carson —He provides a ‘guide’ to using the Stair Step Pricing Model

2. Book -What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow by Frank Gallinelli (available on Kindle)

Hope it helps  

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hey Gordon, I'm new to BP and am also interested in note investing. Have you checked out PPR and their Intro to Notes guide? It might be too broad / general for you (you've clearly got more knowledge on the subject than I do). There's also some pretty reputable Note Investing Firms on BP that I've been in contact with who seem pretty willing to share experience / information.

  • Mitchellville, MD · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 6 votes
    7y

    Hi Gordon,  I’m new to notes and I was at the Note Expo also.  I completely understand your frustration.  Here are a couple things that helped me and you may found useful:

    1. Note Closers Show Podcast Episode #361 by Scott Carson —He provides a ‘guide’ to using the Stair Step Pricing Model

    2. Book -What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow by Frank Gallinelli (available on Kindle)

    Hope it helps  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    you need to get close to your real estate calculator  and under stand the PV function that in a nut shell is how price a note..

  • Investor · California, CA · Member since 2016 · 367 posts · 375 votes
    7y

    Hi @Gordon F.

    I understand your frustration, note investing is not nearly as transparent as other kinds of investing. 

    I'll attempt to answer your pricing question, at least at a high level. There are a lot of conditions that affect what a note is worth. is the note 1st, or second position? Performing or not? How much equity? where is it located? All of these things ultimately determine how much risk is involved. A very safe note will sell at little to no discount, or even above par. The higher the risk the higher the returns needs to be, hence a lower price in terms of % of UPB (Unpaid Balance)

    For example if the borrowers still owes $100k, has never missed a payment, the house is worth $200k, there are no other liens, taxes are current, the property is in a desirable location in a desirable city.  You will likely have to pay very close to $100k for  it.  Interest rate of the note comes into play, if it's 3%, and you pay full value, then you are buying an investment that pays you 3%.  If that's not enough of a return for you, then offer less than $100k, such that the yield meets your needs.  Use a TMV calculator to figure how much to pay to get a higher yield.  depends on number of payments remaining.

    On the other end of the spectrum is a non-performing note.  Borrower has missed some payments, the more they have missed and the longer it's been since they last paid decreases the value.  many other things lower the value as well: history of filing bankruptcy, overdue taxes, poor condition of the house, rural location, problems with title, liens, a long list of other things.    In order to price a note like this you need to estimate how much you will have to spend in order to correct the problems, legal fees taxes, repairs.  Then determine how you will exit the deal: sell the note, hold and collect payments, foreclose and sell the house, etc.  Then calculate what price you would have to pay to generate an acceptable profit.

    You can see that it's not an easy question to answer, way too many variables.  

    In the end like anything, notes are worth what someone is willing to pay for them, so let's start there.

    You need to decide what returns are acceptable to you.  If you need to or want to make a 12% yield, then you would calculate how much you need to pay to get that kind of yield.  The best book that explains this is Jimmy Napier "Invest in Debt", it's old but still available. 

    I haven't found any one book that goes into enough detail, they just kind of skim the surface.  It would take several very thick book to cover it all.  Here are some of the better ones.

    Paper Profits:How to Buy and Profit from Notes

    Bulletproof Title Due Diligence: Protecting Your Investments

  • Investor · California, CA · Member since 2016 · 367 posts · 375 votes
    7y

    Scott Carson has a bunch of YouTube videos on notes.  This one  explains one method of determining values for non-performing 1st notes. 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo1RJFaginw

    This one shows how to do TVM calcs

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXyC9StSDVI

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUyPrYhET6w

  • Investor · California, CA · Member since 2016 · 367 posts · 375 votes
    7y

    "I brought up Fed rate increases to one guy and asked how they’d affect the fair market value of notes"  

    He's right, It has no direct bearing on the value of existing notes.   The interest rate is specified by the note, what happens in the outside world doesn't change the terms of the note.  

    When you buy a house today, the interest rate a month or a year from now doesn't matter does it?  You locked in your rate when you closed on your house.  It's the same with note investing, the current market rate has no effect on an existing note, it's APR was determined the time the note was created.  Adjustable rate notes are obliviously an exception.   

    What is important is how much you paid for the right to collect the remaining balance of the note.   

    The only way that prevailing interest rates are relevant is just in comparison to other investments you could make with your money.  If 10 year treasuries were paying 5%, then you would want to get a significantly higher return on a riskier investment.  A Risky note might not entice you to buy it for anything less than a 20% yield.   It's all about risk/reward.  You can buy highly risky debt for pennies on the dollar.  That kind of debt is very cheap because it's not very likely you'll ever get it to pay off.  Safe debt is expensive, and becomes more so the closer it is to being a guaranteed return.  Notes can span a very wide range of risk, hence the wide range of pricing. 

  • Specialist · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. The book suggestions, YouTube links, and other suggestions are very helpful. Thank you to everyone.

    Tim, I had this long response detailed out to get things down to a few conceptual mathematical formulas based on some of your points, but I deleted it.  I decided I'm not posting all that crap.  I seriously doubt anyone would read it lol.  I'll just say you helped bridge some gaps for me.  Thank you!

  • Lender · Alexandria · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Note Investing Made Easier by Martin Saenz is probably the most indepth note investing book.

    But physical courses and mentorships are where you truly learn the business. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Beaumont, TX · Member since 2015 · 161 posts · 77 votes
    7y

    @Gordon F. you ask very valid questions. I'm like you, detail oriented and want to learn more of the "nut and bolts" so to speak. One option for you to consider is to connect with an experienced note investor and JV on a couple of deals to learn more of the "how to" details.

    Also, @Scott Carson has a 3-day virtual note workshop coming up soon (Nov 30- Dec 2). You might consider attending. Check out We Close Notes web site for more info.

    Of course there are numerous articles here on BP and YouTube videos that are worth reading/viewing as well as several other note investors who offer educational material.

  • Specialist · McAllen, TX · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Gordon F. thank you for getting this thread started. I’m also new to note investing and is interested in details. I will be attending Scott Carson’s Virtual Note Buying seminar that will be coming up and will give you some feedback. 

    @Tim S.  thank you for you input, it is very helpful. 

  • Specialist · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Okay, I'm going to post a cool, little conceptual example here for you guys that was relayed to me by a technical guy and close friend from one of the large funds.

    You're the type of person that drives in the fast lane on the highway, speeding by everyone, and honking at people who are going slow.  That's you.  In this example, let's say you're driving 60 mph, while everyone else is driving 10 mph.  You're very happy with the 50 mph difference and just whizzing by everyone.

    Now all of a sudden, everyone else speeds up to 60 mph.  Now you're all driving the exact same speed at 60 mph.

    It is a mathematical reality that you are now all driving the same speed and you are not going any faster than anyone else.  You cannot change the math on that.  It's a stone cold fact of the universe.  You're all driving the exact same speed.

    Now the only question is, do you care?  Well, going back to our first sentence, you're the type of person who likes to drive faster than everyone else, so yes, you care.  You really liked whizzing by everyone at 50 mph faster than they were driving, so to get back to that difference, you increase your speed to 110 mph.  You're now driving 110 mph, while everyone else is driving 60 mph, so you're now back to whizzing by everyone at 50 mph faster.

    However, let's say you don't care.  While driving 50 mph faster than everyone was nice, you're really just happy going 60 mph.  You don't need to be driving faster than everyone, as long as you maintain 60 mph. In that case, you do nothing, and you're happy driving the same speed as everyone else.

    In some cases -- and this is more for the crowd that listens to the whole "you don't need to calculate the yield on that thang, it's good enough!" -- everyone else may even speed up to 80 mph while you continue to drive at 60 mph.  You don't care.  You don't need to go 80 mph, as 60 mph is good enough, and you're happy with that.

    If you understood the above example, then you now conceptually understand why certain concepts (e.g, duration and convexity) will impact your investment.  If you want to know more, I'd encourage you to work through the math to see the types of impacts they have.  The math is arduous, but it's not rocket science.  

    Having said that, your personality and investment philosophy will determine whether or not you care if things like convexity and duration impact your investments.  Do they impact your investments?  Yes, it is a mathematical reality.  You cannot change their impact.  The only thing you can do is decide if you care or not.

    So going back to one of Tim's points, yes, math impacts your investment, no matter what order of derivative you're talking about.  It's impactful.  Now the only question is, do you care?  Maybe you do, and maybe you don't.

    As my friend put it, depending on how far you skew towards mom and pop versus investor will probably determine how much you care, not that either one is better than the other.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Gordon F.:

    Okay, I'm going to post a cool, little conceptual example here for you guys that was relayed to me by a technical guy and close friend from one of the large funds.

    You're the type of person that drives in the fast lane on the highway, speeding by everyone, and honking at people who are going slow.  That's you.  In this example, let's say you're driving 60 mph, while everyone else is driving 10 mph.  You're very happy with the 50 mph difference and just whizzing by everyone.

    Now all of a sudden, everyone else speeds up to 60 mph.  Now you're all driving the exact same speed at 60 mph.

    It is a mathematical reality that you are now all driving the same speed and you are not going any faster than anyone else.  You cannot change the math on that.  It's a stone cold fact of the universe.  You're all driving the exact same speed.

    Now the only question is, do you care?  Well, going back to our first sentence, you're the type of person who likes to drive faster than everyone else, so yes, you care.  You really liked whizzing by everyone at 50 mph faster than they were driving, so to get back to that difference, you increase your speed to 110 mph.  You're now driving 110 mph, while everyone else is driving 60 mph, so you're now back to whizzing by everyone at 50 mph faster.

    However, let's say you don't care.  While driving 50 mph faster than everyone was nice, you're really just happy going 60 mph.  You don't need to be driving faster than everyone, as long as you maintain 60 mph. In that case, you do nothing, and you're happy driving the same speed as everyone else.

    In some cases -- and this is more for the crowd that listens to the whole "you don't need to calculate the yield on that thang, it's good enough!" -- everyone else may even speed up to 80 mph while you continue to drive at 60 mph.  You don't care.  You don't need to go 80 mph, as 60 mph is good enough, and you're happy with that.

    If you understood the above example, then you now conceptually understand why certain concepts (e.g, duration and convexity) will impact your investment.  If you want to know more, I'd encourage you to work through the math to see the types of impacts they have.  The math is arduous, but it's not rocket science.  

    Having said that, your personality and investment philosophy will determine whether or not you care if things like convexity and duration impact your investments.  Do they impact your investments?  Yes, it is a mathematical reality.  You cannot change their impact.  The only thing you can do is decide if you care or not.

    So going back to one of Tim's points, yes, math impacts your investment, no matter what order of derivative you're talking about.  It's impactful.  Now the only question is, do you care?  Maybe you do, and maybe you don't.

    As my friend put it, depending on how far you skew towards mom and pop versus investor will probably determine how much you care, not that either one is better than the other.

    when buying notes its simple math.. you have par.. then you have discounts to par.. you need a simple real estate calculator and the PV function TMV function and it will spit out what you pay for a given yield over a given time.. simple as that..  

  • Specialist · Manhattan, NY · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 192 votes
    7y

    Well @Gordon F. , back in early 2014, I was right about where you were.

    I'd spent the weekends in Vegas at NoteWorthy and PaperSource. I had attended a couple of training courses too. In hindsight, they were more "show-business" than "how to" practical advice....but I didn't spend too much on them and I did learn a lot. All told, maybe I had invested $2,000.

    Then I made a classic mistake. I assumed I could parlay competence from one arena to another.  I had enjoyed a long and successful career in corporate America. I had proven my skills in multiple markets over 20+ years. I had built up my sideline business of 30+ rental homes in 4 years and they were doing just fine. 

    So, in search of better yields and less work, I turned my attention to notes.... I mean, how difficult could it be? I can run a DCF with my eyes closed, I can operate my 10bii in my sleep. I have a great lawyer and a great CPA on speed-dial. Whatever comes up, we can figure it out. Right? well, not so much...

    I mildly underestimated how difficult it would be to build a note business based on what I knew. The real problems occurred with all the things I didn't know. Just like the analogy of the iceberg.....what gets you in trouble, is what lies beneath.

    The question you are asking is a very important one. Fundamentally, pricing a fixed income asset is a function of variables like interest rate environment, loan performance history, loan to value, property characteristics, borrower characteristics, state-specific metrics and a laundry list of things you might want to include as variables in your model.  @Tim S. provides a comprehensive list.

    Consider also that two investors armed with the same information might come up with 2 very different prices for the same loan. 

    Maybe I have some process advantages or a ready buyer for the loan other some other advantage that will allow me to hit my return target more quickly than you (so I can pay up). Or maybe you have modest targets due to very low cost of funds (so you can pay up).

    In short, what I'm saying is that there is no correct price for a loan. Like @Jay Hinrichs  says, you want to buy it at a discount but the extent of the discount you need depends on what kind of business are you trying to build. These are the fundamental questions you need to consider before buying paper (performing or NPL) or any investment I guess.

    Apologies for the lengthy response but this is one of the most common questions I receive.

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Gordon F. - Pricing a note.. All great comments provided by the fine folks in BP..  

    Here is the simple break down using examples from "Invest in Debt - Jimmy Napier".  

    Install a financial calculator on your phone.. there's an app for that.. (I like 10BA Pro)

    N = Number of payments

    I = Interest rate

    PV = Price

    PMT = Payment 

    FV = Future Value

    Example:

    N = 120, I = 10%, PV = $10,000, PMT = $132.15 (you will see payment as a negative number)

    button press sequence = press 1, 2, 0 then N - press 1, 0 then I - press 1, 0, 0, 0, 0 then PV = then solve for payments press PMT..  if you have any 3 variables then you can solve for the missing variable.  In this scenario its solving for payments..  If you wanted to find PV (Price to pay) for 30% interest, then you would do this:
    N = 120, I = 30%, PMT = -132.15 (make sure you enter this as a negative number).. after you enter that press PV, I got $5012.94.  That is what you would pay..  I hope this helps..  I'm new to note buying also but I got the math down pretty good..  Get the book i mentioned above and it'll explain balloon payments, etc.. I'm also looking for more nuts and bolts info and was recommended Scott Carson Note buying blueprint which I haven't tried yet.

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    7y

    @Gordon F. you've got a lot of good commentary already. I'm not sure I necessarily follow the intent of your analogy, but I think @Tim S. covered what goes into a purchasing decision pretty well. If you have a particular set of buying criteria and a purchasing opportunity for a note in NY comes across your desk, but you don't invest in NY no matter what then your decision is already made. Maybe you like notes in Texas so much that you'll take a discount on your expected yield if you found a note there. Maybe you don't buy notes with an interest rate less than 7%. It all depends on your expectations and buying criteria. A lot of what you're describing sounds like it would pertain more to originating your own notes which is a different animal from purchasing on the secondary market. Best of luck to you in your note journey...you already sound very well informed!

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    The reason you can't get locked down on how to price a note is the carrying cost are different across states and price models are vastly different between performing and non-performing, first, seconds, and CFD. The 10bii cannot tell you how to price a NPN or CFD. The 10bii is perfect for performing paper and subject to deals so long as the borrower make every single payment. If you must foreclose that 10bii does not assess your exit options as a rental, or sell at auction, etc.

    We both follow Scott. He is focused on non-performing first liens and land contracts. The 10Bii is not going to help you make that bid. You need an extensive spreadsheet that factors: cost of capital, foreclosure cost, back taxes, forced insurance, loan service fees, existing code fines, water/sewer bill, cure code fines, recording fees, borrower outreach cost, and many more fees that you will learn along the way. Additionally, your monthly expenses must cover the duration of the FC process which can be 6-18 months plus the redemption period. This is why I don't win many bids.

    Most of the folks that follow Scott Carson want to get the note reperforming, but you absolutely have to factor other exits especially when OPM is on the line.

    If you are @Dan Zitofski, you are buying a first lien NPNbecause you want the property as a buy, fix, and seller finance to an entity. A 10bii alone cannot calculate Dan's ROI. Perhaps a napkin, but not a 10Bii :)

    If your bidding on performing paper then the 10bii is about all you need, but you still need to know the legal cost to take your asset back. If your P&I is $250 and the loan service is $25 your cash flow is $225 and that needs to be factored into your 10bii. You paying the loan service fees is common with institutional performing paper.

    Where can you go for price models? No one gives away a fully decked out ROI calculator that cover multiple state on NPN/NPL/CFD. The revival brothers have a product that helps price notes, Scott's note buying blueprint course has 3 exit strategies and is pretty easy to modify, @Dave Putz is working to bring his ROI calculator to the market.

    Few have been transparent about a process to price a NPN first lien than @Scott Carson. He has at least 15 videos on the subject at weclosenotes.tv

    The bottom line is not one can tell you how to do it because everyone has a different buy model, different exit model, different asset type focus, different state focus, different risk tolerance, different objectives, and different cost of capital. You either pay the trainer, bring the capitol to a Joint Venture deal, get close enough consuming free content, or only focus on performing paper.

  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Gordon F. The market is very opaque and people guard their sources and pricing models, since those are their competitive advantages. It's frustrating when you first start out but once you develop your relationships and experience, you can hone your abilities and get deals done. We've been developing our pricing model over the last couple of months and it's going to work out great for us. One of the best parts about having a good model is that it'll save you time, which you can use to bid on more pools more quickly and to make adjustments on your bid depending on the intricacies of individual notes.

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    My simple answer to this is: broker (or refer) notes to national note buyers until you have turned over several dozen transactions while learning and obseving how THEY priced them.

    You make money on the ones that close, all the4 while gaining experience on those as well as those that don't close for whatever reason (s).

    There is no risk on your part-- none-- with this approach. With the buyer willoinmg to pay you referral fees, you gain valuable insights as to what sort of "cushion"(s) are working, price-wise, for offers tht end up being accepted.

    Not to mention the valuable experience you get by watching the pros do due diligence. Why try to learn it all yourself while risking ypiur own money? It's just not necessary.

    This is a way to make money WHILE yoiu gain experience.

    If yopu want some of my insights on this you can check out my profile and video if you want... I work with a "network" (my own contacts gained through everyday business) of note invedstors whobuy notes in every state who willeagerly accept referrals from new brokers/referral agents and i can help steer anybody who's interested in the right direction.

    Just give me a holler.

    (I think it's silly trying to learn everything at once while trying to buy a note for yourself without knowing what you're doing. That's just not necessary when there is a whole lineup of investors who will gladly accept your referralsand teach you the business at the same time. Why not be smart?)

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 55 votes
    7y
    @Gordon F. You mentioned scott Carson so I'm going to start there. He has a virtual note buying for dummies bootcamp that encompasses all of the questions you have. He will walk through each thing you need to do and how to get started. I would recommend the program. I took it when I got started. He also has a podcast and a ton of videos on YouTube. Also take a look at a book called bullet proof title due diligence. It goes over all the things you may run into as a note investor and is a quick read. Join some Facebook groups targeted towards note investors and start asking questions. You'll be amazed with how.much help there is out there.
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y

    I am going to start learning this subject in 2019.  So pleased to find this thread -- plenty here to get me started.

    Best wishes to all in New Year.

  • Cheshire, CT · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    Thank you everyone for posting on this thread. So much good information to go through and review! I am hoping to start investing in notes in 2019 or 2020.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y

    @Scott Kimberly

    One thing to mention about note investing is if your attempting to wholesale notes and are new it is extremely difficult because your source is most likely already a source the buyer knows. Finding notes is not like finding homes. When wholesaling a house you can be direct with the seller - unless for finding some owner financed notes (which probably were not 3rd party serviced) the sellers are companies and note investors who have been around know the players

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Specialist · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Seveney:

    @Scott Kimberly

    One thing to mention about note investing is if your attempting to wholesale notes and are new it is extremely difficult because your source is most likely already a source the buyer knows. Finding notes is not like finding homes. When wholesaling a house you can be direct with the seller - unless for finding some owner financed notes (which probably were not 3rd party serviced) the sellers are companies and note investors who have been around know the players

    This is highly discouraging, even if it is true.  Flipping is a logical way to get started, and it's how Scott Carson says he got started.  If that avenue of opportunity is now a dead end, well, that's an issue.

    But your point is probably right.  As an example, let's use Scott Carson.  If he's been making 50 phone calls a day since 2007 when he says he started, then he's called just about every mortgage lender in the U.S. -- probably North America -- in the last 12 years.  If we assume 250 working days a year, that's 150,000 phone calls to lenders over the last 12 years.  150,000.  There aren't that many institutional/bank lenders in the U.S.  So he's clearly covered them all several times over.  If he's not doing a deal with them or hasn't done a deal with them, there's a reason.  Now, if you take all of his students who are doing the exact same thing, you have 1000% coverage of institutional/bank lenders. Probably more coverage than that even. And that's just one small group of people doing it. Now let's expand that to all the groups doing it across the country. So if you find a NPN deal that none of them have jumped on already or know about, there's a reason.

    Performing notes are probably a slightly different ball game. I was talking to an attorney who has been buying performing notes since the 1970's in the North Texas area, and from that conversation, I get the idea that there are more than enough fisherman out there fishing through county records and using mail campaigns to reel in seller financiers. So there's maybe a small margin of potential over the NPN market, since anyone can FSBO and those people are harder to find, but the margin probably isn't much.

    It honestly sounds like the notes market is over-saturated as it currently stands and is getting more saturated every day.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y

    @Gordon F.

    Firs t I think your giving too many people credit, I would bet 80% that take some type of training end up doing nothing. But in regards to note industry as it stands yes it is over saturated. Name a type of real estate investing right now that is not?

    Can deals still be found - absolutely but you need to be able to pull the trigger very quickly and have a list of connections. 

    In regards to banks - one issue is banks do not need to sell right now. Interest rates are rising, homes are appreciating and they have very few delinquent loans on their books. In 2008 they were in a cash crisis and had a ton of non performing loans they had to move off the books. Right now the house is appreciating so if it forecloses they will get paid off. 2008 it was a death spiral.

    Also if you want to get into notes, what is your business plan. You looking for cash flow and how much? Say you want $2,000 cash flow your first year, that is only 4 notes paying $500/month. There is still billions in non performing debt and you can easily find 4 notes to buy. If your looking for $20,000 a month that is 40 notes and of course that will take a good amount of time but not impossible. It is all relative but my advice is be patient and do not buy just to buy and overpay as you make or break it on the acquisition price.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Cheshire, CT · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    @Chris Seveney I am not sure yet what my business model will be, if only because I am learning what my options are when it comes to notes. If we want to start with the end in mind, it would be awesome to cash flow $10,000 a month as quickly as possible because then I can very comfortably leave my job and basically be able to do whatever I want. But I don't necessarily think I will stop there.

    As for strategy, so far I have learned the 30,000 ft views on what you can do with Performing 1sts, Non-performing 1sts, and Non-Performing 2nds with Performing 1sts. Performing 1sts I would probably pay Par or higher for because they are very safe, cash flowing assets. (Relatively speaking). Non-performing 1sts are less expensive but, riskier since the homeowner might not come current again and you may have to foreclose. If they DO become current again and you can get the loan through 're-performing' back to 'performing', you can sell it for a profit.  Non-Performing 2nds are dirt cheap (or so I've been told) and if they are attached to a home that has a Performing 1st, then they are more likely to be able to re-perform and then perform, at which point you can sell for a large profit. But they are the riskiest of the 3. 

    Please correct me if I am wrong, that is just what I've gleaned after a literal week of learning.

    My question in all of this is "how would you wholesale a Note?". Is that different from a referral? I understand how you can flip Notes by getting them to re-perform and then perform again, but the Wholesaling part is new information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.