• Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
Tax Lien/Deceased Owner

Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Posted Apr 12 2024, 10:16

Hello, I’m pretty familiar with the tax liens regulations here in Alabama but I wanted to brush up on quieting the title. Is it 6 months after the lien matures into a deed before QT? Also, the “owner” is deceased, no reported heirs (doing my own due diligence) would this be something where it can be a little tricky or problematic dealing with probate bc of the deceased owner or it’s business as usual?

User Stats

Votes
Ellis San Jose
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Westlake Village, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Westlake Village, CA
Replied Apr 12 2024, 11:13

Because state laws vary widely, my first thought is to talk with a title insurance underwriter in your state to see the requirements for insurable title on a tax deed.

Quiet title may not happen "automatically". It may require a formal court petition.

There are most likely heirs, you just didn't go deep enough with ancestry to determine who they are.

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied Apr 12 2024, 11:15

I’ve started with a title company today as I was inquired about the property. The tax lien purchaser is assigning her rights and mentioned it, of course I’m doing my own due diligence. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Jarred Ross
  • Port Huron, MI
Votes |
  • Port Huron, MI
Replied Apr 23 2024, 10:25
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

I’ve started with a title company today as I was inquired about the property. The tax lien purchaser is assigning her rights and mentioned it, of course I’m doing my own due diligence. 

If you're still working on this deal, let's connect. If the property needs to be probated, I think I may have some resources for you. My business exists specifically to help close deals with deceased owners/probate issues all the time all over the country.