Votes
Isaac Wagner
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
Investment help in Harford County?

Isaac Wagner
  • Bel Air, MD
Posted Mar 6 2018, 05:08

I've hit that point in my life where I've realized my 9-5 job isn't going to provide me financial freedom, or a decent retirement.  Real estate investing feels right to me and I want to get involved, so I've been reading a lot of books and internet forums trying to learn more.  "They" all seem to say that though it may be difficult to get involved with little money (I've only got $10k to invest), that it is possible.  Long term I'd like to buy and hold rental properties and as my capital base expands I'd like to get into commercial properties.  Short term, I may need to do some wholesaling or flipping to get the capital required to get into long-term holdings.  I feel like I'm at the point now where I have far too many questions and need to start attending local meetings to learn from others.  Does anyone know if there are active groups in Harford County, MD?  My gut instinct is that investing in Harford County would be more difficult than in Baltimore, but I don't know Baltimore at all, which makes me wary of putting money there.  Thank you for your help.

User Stats

Votes
Ozzy Sirimsi
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 6 2018, 08:55

If you have full time job, it might be easier for you to get a property.

You can start by investing in Baltimore, it could  be less risky and you might end up learning more that what you will learn in any of the meet ups.

User Stats

Votes
Laticia Braxton
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Replied Mar 6 2018, 18:12

Hello Isaac.  I am a Ha. Co. resident and business owner as well.  There is a monthly meeting in Bel Air every month and you should check it out as I believe it will be helpful to you.  Let me know if you would like further details.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Suzanne A.
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Mar 7 2018, 07:46

It's been difficult for me to find something suitable for buy and hold for Harford Co.  Look in Edgewood if you can find some good spots.  I do have a rental property in Abingdon (Bel Air schools) and it's cash flowing nicely- however it used to be my primary residence, paid a lot of it off, refinanced to get the payment lower.  That's the only reason why it's cash flowing. 

I agree with the above poster- don't quit that job yet, it will provide you capital to get started. 

Could you send me some details about the meet ups too @Laticia Braxton?  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Isaac Wagner
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Mar 7 2018, 10:23

Thanks @Laticia Braxton for the info you PM'd me and @Suzanne A. for reaching out.  It's good to know there are meetings and other people in Harford County.

User Stats

Votes
Laticia Braxton
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Replied Mar 7 2018, 10:26

You're welcome and although we maybe a small community up here, we look out for each other :-)

User Stats

Votes
Nathan McQueen
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied Mar 7 2018, 16:47

@Laticia Braxton I'm also in the Harford Co. area and interested in any local meet ups. Can you send me info too please?

User Stats

Votes
Alvaro Arango
Pro Member
  • Washington, DC/Salisbury MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Washington, DC/Salisbury MD
Replied Mar 12 2018, 06:26

@Isaac Wagner I totally understand your situation. I 'm in the same shoes, 9-5 job is not going to help you with financial freedom. I agree with Ozzy, Baltimore is a great place to start looking for places with good cashflow. You can find some good properties between 60-80K in class B/C neighborhoods. Also, you mentioned buy/hold, flips, and wholesaling. My recommendation is to stick to one idea only. Real Estate in different areas can be challenging. If you just focus on one thing only, like buying and holding, this will make you a better investor, but if you try to do too may things wholesaling, flips, notes, and buy and hold, I personally think it will be too much. I personally recommend buy and hold properties with a good ROI. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Norman
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 12 2018, 08:23

Welcome to BP and to the world of Real Estate Investing.  Its definitely more difficult to find good deals in HarCo then in Baltimore, but not at all impossible.  I agree with the advise above - DON"T QUIT THAT JOB.  The income will help you qualify for the loans you'll need together your business off the ground.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin W.
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Feb 24 2019, 16:16

Hello - I would also like to know more about a meet up in Harford County! Everything that I looked into pointed to meet ups in Baltimore County or City!

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Zbikowski
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jarrettsville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jarrettsville, MD
Replied Feb 24 2019, 16:48

I believe there’s a meeting every 1st Monday of the month at 510 Johnny’s 6:30-830.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin W.
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Feb 24 2019, 16:52

If enough interest I would be willing to start a meet up in the Harford County area!

User Stats

Votes
Laticia Braxton
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Joppa, MD
Replied Feb 24 2019, 17:26

@Bryan Zbikowski, that is correct!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Murray
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Feb 24 2019, 18:08
Originally posted by @Kevin W.:

If enough interest I would be willing to start a meet up in the Harford County area!

That would be awesome, always good to make more connections. I'd be interested.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin W.
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Mar 7 2019, 17:51
Originally posted by @Bryan Zbikowski:

I believe there’s a meeting every 1st Monday of the month at 510 Johnny’s 6:30-830.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin W.
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Mar 7 2019, 17:51

Great! Thank you. I plan to attend the next meeting. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 22 2019, 06:04

I am from the Bel Air area and came across this post so I figured I would reach out to see if this group still meets in the area. I am new to investing and I just want to learn some successful strategies that people have used. I am young and do not have a lot of capital to invest, but would love to learn any ways that I can make some money on the side outside of my 9-5 job

User Stats

Votes
Alyson Anderson
  • Realtor
  • Harford County, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Harford County, MD
Replied Jan 31 2021, 08:10

Hi, Super delayed to this post but curious to if anyone is still meeting up with COVID.  I am in Bel Air often and would love to chat! 

User Stats

Votes
Philip Hutson
  • Realtor
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied Jan 31 2021, 08:45

I’d be happy to meet up.

User Stats

Votes
Alyson Anderson
  • Realtor
  • Harford County, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Harford County, MD
Replied Feb 3 2021, 09:00

Are there any meet up groups actually meeting live right now?