Want to buy a Rental property in MD.

Want to buy a Rental property in MD.

Investor · Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hi,

I have rental property in White Marsh, MD. I want to buy another property. How do I go about this?

What areas are good in MD. I do not want to go to the Eastern shore (too far away).

Do I need to get a real estate investment specialist for this?

Any tips appreciated.

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
9y

@Kal Pathak I see t his is your fist post so welcome to BP

Well that in part depends on what you want. Are you looking for strictly cash flow - Then Baltimore city is the way to go. Are you looking for appreciation or maybe a combination of some cash flow and some appreciation?

In general there are good deals to be had everywhere. Most areas of median home prices or less tend to make good rental areas. How far you go below the median depends on what you are looking for.  I think $75K to $150K neighborhoods in Baltimore city or Baltimore county are good bets for me.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    There are multiple ways about going finding your next rental. Kind of Hard to tell by the brief info you announced. However one great way would be to Find a area you know really well. Call a few investor friendly agents, drive for dollars, call a few brokers and there are many more just to name a few. But Good Luck! I hope you land something. Stick with it. Also you could attend a few local REIA networking events.

  • John BucciPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2016 · 149 posts · 63 votes
    9y

    Looking to do the same in Baltimore. 100k-150k range. Solid rental area. Fix up and sell for profit in the future. 

    Biggest issue in Baltimore is it's a very competitive flip market, but plenty of rentals available. Since I'm just starting out I think its possible to find a deal with margins that work for me, but may be too small for the bigger guys. 

    You don't need a specialist, just have to do ALOT of research. May be worth it to you to pay someone to research for you.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Kal Pathak I see t his is your fist post so welcome to BP

    Well that in part depends on what you want. Are you looking for strictly cash flow - Then Baltimore city is the way to go. Are you looking for appreciation or maybe a combination of some cash flow and some appreciation?

    In general there are good deals to be had everywhere. Most areas of median home prices or less tend to make good rental areas. How far you go below the median depends on what you are looking for.  I think $75K to $150K neighborhoods in Baltimore city or Baltimore county are good bets for me.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Kal Pathak Welcome to BP!!! your question is a bit general so I don't want to speculate.  Add more details on what your seeking input on and maybe I can offer my two cents.  

    Persist and you will win!!!

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    9y

    Contact a local agent and have them forward you properties that meet your criteria.

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @John Bucci Hi John,  are you using a company to do the research for you?

  • John BucciPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2016 · 149 posts · 63 votes
    9y

    @Abena Sidibe Hey Abena, no I am not. I have a friend that is an agent there that sends me props from mls, and my cousin lives down there so he helps give some insight.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 158 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    There are multiple ways about going finding your next rental. Kind of Hard to tell by the brief info you announced. However one great way would be to Find a area you know really well. Call a few investor friendly agents, drive for dollars, call a few brokers and there are many more just to name a few. But Good Luck! I hope you land something. Stick with it. Also you could attend a few local REIA networking events.

    Hi Dwayne, I'm a Baltimore local interested in attending some REIA events. Can you suggest which ones are out there and which ones you'd recommend? Currently in the market for an investment property, but like the OP, still trying to learn enough so I can attempt to make a good purchase.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Tim Youse Sure Thing. Check out http://www.baltimorereia.com/

    Great People and the meeting and Classes are Awesome!

    Also if you have a Meetup. 

    Check out

    https://www.meetup.com/BwiMeetup/

    And the One that is smaller but great minds are always in attendance.  I actually attended a few weeks ago for the first time. It's The AA Meet Up

    http://www.meetup.com/Unofficial-Biggerpockets-Rea...

    I Believe they all are helpful! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.