When I'm looking through zillow and other platforms, I've noticed that the areas close to Drake and some of the areas around Grandview seem to have a fair amount of available inventory of properties for sale and for rent-- I'm curious to know if those of you with rentals geared towards college students saw significant changes heading into the fall of 2020 and if you expect significant decreases in demand due to the potential increase of online classes?
Hi Collin. I'm new to researching the DSM market and particularly interested in the Drake sub market. Do you have any properties near the university? Would you have any advice to offer of the surrounding neighborhoods, streets to stay away from, trying to acquire near certain amenities? I'm also curious about student demand in the area, but no first-hand experience to offer. Feel free to connect, or DM if you'd like to chat. Thanks!
Realtor · Des Moines · Member since 2018 · 304 posts · 253 votes
5y
@Collin Cameron, As an realtor and investor I see both the listing, buying and rental demand and yes my answer is ONLY my experience, but the reason you see anything available to buy right now it is likely because it doesn't quite meet the market cashflow rate for that specific asset class.
Regarding rentals vacancy, its springtime so everyone is advertising their available units.
To recap, the demand to buy is high and the demand to
Occupy a rental by a tenant is also high. Both by Drake, by Grandview and across the city.