vacant properties, worth a $24-$28K to fix and increase rent?

vacant properties, worth a $24-$28K to fix and increase rent?

Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 5 votes

HELP! my two vacant properties in Chattanooga, TN need some TLC, according to my PM it will cost $24-28K to get both rent ready. (New paint, inside/outside, new flooring, repairing/replacing cabinets, door knob, doorway, and some windows) From the pictures that were sent, all 36 of them didn't seem to drastic though. I don't know enough about repairs, I've been quite the passive (out of state) investor, and it didn't seem as though it would cost that much. After looking up my PM company online, I can't see much, and the social media presence shows that the company is more of a parking lot repair/build type of company. I asked if the cost of the repairs is like a rehab where the property value would go up, and the answer was "no." I asked for a lower quote from the contractor, but the PM said "everything in the bid is absolutely necessary" they cut about $900 off to clean/reinstall some light fixtures. Both properties are about 1200 sq ft and are 4 bed/2bath. after I asked for a lower quote, he came back with a payment plan, $13000 down, and then $2K/month/5 months to pay off, no interest loan from the contractor. He also said that after repairs, he would be able to rent the properties for $1200-$1400 but I think that the area is not the right place to be charging that much because they are the nicest on the block. I don't know if this is a good deal or if I should be looking for a new PM. Any advice or words of encouragement appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

John BrittPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · Chattanoooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 194 posts · 52 votes
5y

@Marichelle Lao it depends on the agreement you have with them.  Some companies want to handle all repairs, companies like ours do not typically handle full rehabs in house.  We offer to manage the rehab for the owner, but we also allow the owner to fine and choose the contractors themselves.  You can DM me and I can give you some people that I trust, and I know will do a good job even if you are out of town. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Marichelle Lao based on estimates and work I’ve had locally I feel like that estimate is high. But then again I haven’t seen the properties. Are you looking for contractor/PM suggestions?

  • Temple, TX · Member since 2018 · 307 posts · 215 votes
    5y

    @Marichelle Lao do yo mind disclosing who your PM is? I am starting to invest in Chatt, from the way you described your experience with them, sounds like I may want to stay away from them. I would suggest searching for your own contractor and getting a quote. A lot of that stuff should be able to be done by a local handy man, no need for a contractor. He is giving you what is easiest for him, no best for you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Marichelle Lao that seems a bit high, but windows can be very, very expensive and floors aren't the cheapest to buy and install either.  I would be interested in knowing who the PM / contractors are. Happy to make recommendations to help you  shop around.  Could you also tell us the zip code or area of Chattanooga the properties are in?

  • John BrittPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Chattanoooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 194 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    @Marichelle Lao I would love to look at the properties that you have to rehab and I can give you my thoughts on it.

  • Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Destiny Mix I also feel that it is high. I would appreciated any suggestions for contractors or PM. Thank you.

    @Chris Allen I will send you a DM with the name/company of my PM. Thank you for your suggestions. "He is giving you what is easiest for him, no best for you." I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. 

    @Matt Fore I will send you a DM with the name/company of my PM. Zipcode is 37407. I don't know the exact line by line of the repairs necessary. I have just requested my PM send me the actual quote from the contractor so Im still waiting. Thanks for you input.

    @John Britt is there a way to tell my PM that I want someone else to take a look at it? How would I put it delicately? My concern is that if the properties are not as damaged as stated, then he will retaliate and ruin the property to where the repairs are surely necessary? I hope that's not a silly question, and I would like to think that would not happen, but it is my concern. I feel that because I am not present physically, that he has a lot of control over the properties. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

  • John BrittPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Chattanoooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 194 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    @Marichelle Lao it depends on the agreement you have with them.  Some companies want to handle all repairs, companies like ours do not typically handle full rehabs in house.  We offer to manage the rehab for the owner, but we also allow the owner to fine and choose the contractors themselves.  You can DM me and I can give you some people that I trust, and I know will do a good job even if you are out of town. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.