What’s the lowest offer/bid on a house and what happened?

What’s the lowest offer/bid on a house and what happened?

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone, I am new to investing into real estate and always think what might be an appropriate bid. I saw forum and video of just doing the math and putting in a bid that works for you, even if it’s super low.

So i was curious, what was the lowest bid you ever offer on a property and how it turned out.

For simplistic format, if you can state the following:

Asking price, the % you offer on the asking price or what you offered, Did the seller accepted,rejected, or countered (with what), and what was your experience?

Thank you and curious to hear your story!

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 91 votes
6y

@Edward Shen

List price was $202k REO. I did the math (super conservative) and figured $149k offer would net me between $25-$28k. Bank called last and final 3 weeks later. I redid the math - tried to figure out ways to make the rehab cheaper but left my "oops fund" alone. Offered $168,407. They called last and final 3 more times. I offered the same amount (all between Oct and Feb) every time. They accepted and we closed in 4 business days.

Just listed the place and it is under contract for $21k more than I originally thought (6 DOM). Also cost more than I thought. But I made out way better than I thought on my first fix & flip roughly $40k.

Lucky the market is so hot right now and inventory is so low.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @Edward Shen

    List price was $202k REO. I did the math (super conservative) and figured $149k offer would net me between $25-$28k. Bank called last and final 3 weeks later. I redid the math - tried to figure out ways to make the rehab cheaper but left my "oops fund" alone. Offered $168,407. They called last and final 3 more times. I offered the same amount (all between Oct and Feb) every time. They accepted and we closed in 4 business days.

    Just listed the place and it is under contract for $21k more than I originally thought (6 DOM). Also cost more than I thought. But I made out way better than I thought on my first fix & flip roughly $40k.

    Lucky the market is so hot right now and inventory is so low.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Stephanie Simmons

    That’s amazing! So did the 149k first offer got rejected? Or you had to make a final offer cause they didn’t accept it right away? I am glad that things worked out even better than you expected! My biggest worry right now on a house that i am considering is the repair cost... I am buying a shell house and it’s 100k (which was already reduced from 115k) On the market for over 70 days. I want to offer 60k since it need all new renovation. it’s 800 sq feet.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @Edward Shen

    I start with after repair value - rehab costs - $$ you want to make = the max you can offer.

    Also consider selling costs and holding costs into the rehab budget if you intend to flip.

    Do you have a contractor that can give you a scope of work and a fairly firm bid for the rehab? Also add a 10-15% contingency because stuff will happen A LOT.

    No they never rejected my first offer - they just did this "last and final" 4 times. Then I guess the REO person at the bank figured that was as much as I would offer and took it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @David Abbate. So true on the market right now which is why I am buying a small service business next month. I’m still looking for properties, but it will most likely take months to find.

    @Edward Shen. I made 5 offers a week and it was 4 months until one closed. Just follow the formula. Look at 6-10 properties a week and pick the best 5 to put in offers and keep moving. I’m a licensed agent so it was fairly easy for me - if you don’t have an agent that works with investors you might want to find one in your area.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Stephanie Simmons

    Thanks for the tip! I usually want opinion of others that i work with before i put can offer. However, most of the offer is usually low balling due to the price that i want to pay with my calculation. I told my realtor that i wanted to low ball a place that was on the market for 70 days and looking at comparison around the same area it was not worth 100k. He answer that “He understand, but within reason”. I don’t get why realtor think it’s wrong to put in low balling offer especially if the buyer know that’s what he is doing for the price he wants. I mean no disrespect, but it seems like i am being shame for low balling, idk.

    In your opinion, if i were to offer 60k cash, will you consider selling a house that need full rehab?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.