How Do I Structure This Deal?

How Do I Structure This Deal?

Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes

Hey everyone I need some advice on how to structure this flip... so I’m a realtor and have a distressed seller who has a house they need to get rid of. It would make a great flip but I don’t have the liquidity right now to buy the house and flip it and I don’t want to wholesale it. Listing it wouldn’t make sense for them because they are under water on their loan so they won’t net enough to pay it off and they can not come out of pocket. I do have the ability to get a hard money loan for the rehab and would like to present them with the option of allowing me to flip their house which would net them enough money to pay off their loan and just move on from their situation. How would you guys recommend structuring a deal like this?

My main concern here is me rehabbing the place and they basically just say well screw you I’m keeping it now and not paying you for those rehab costs. How would you guys recommend securing my interest in the property while still protecting the seller as well where they know if I don’t come through for them then their money and home is safe. (Not that I wouldn’t but I always want all parties protected fairly and equally)

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y

Not sure it makes sense if they are under water....you're starting in the hole. And a HML isn't going to loan rehab money in 2nd position, especially if it is under water.

Under water=short sale. 

OF you can get a HML and it really makes sense, then buy sub2, with all the proper disclosures.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    Not sure it makes sense if they are under water....you're starting in the hole. And a HML isn't going to loan rehab money in 2nd position, especially if it is under water.

    Under water=short sale. 

    OF you can get a HML and it really makes sense, then buy sub2, with all the proper disclosures.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Wayne Brooks I'm not worried about getting the hard money for the rehab I already know I can get that because the HML is a good friend of mine. I'm mainly just concerned with how I would structure it legally. Also a short sale wouldn't be in their best interest. The house would sell for around 70K right now because they just couldn't afford to keep up with maintenance and on top of that had an adult kid with substance abuse problems who has trashed it. They owe 100K and the place would easily sell for around 215K with about $40,000 into it. I'd rather try helping them not have a short sale and hurt their credit anymore when I know that they would be much better off not doing that.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Wayne Brooks Also in Virginia I cannot to a net lease meaning I can’t say anything above $X Goes to me. Would I just structure where I just charge a flat fee for the services say like 30K flat fee to me and then anything else is their profit?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    I mean net listing not lease

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @David Nacco Well, if the numbers work....you could buy it sub2, agreeing to pay them whatever dollar amount ($5k, $10k, $20k, % of profits, whatever) upon the sale of the flip.  With you becoming an owner, there are no net listing issues.

  • Attorney · Washington, DC · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    [DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice.] I would retain a lawyer to draw up an agreement between you and the homeowners. It could be a simple contract that outlines what each person brings to the table (the homeowners agree to the future sale of the property and all sides agree on the allocation of the sales proceeds). If you want to strengthen the contract and soften your risk, you can have the homeowners agree to offer collateral.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @James Billings-Kang Thanks! I definitely plan on having an attorney write up the contract

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Are they still living in it?  They may just already be prepared for their credit to be trashed and to file bankruptcy - after they have lived in it as long as they can while it's in foreclosure.  If that's the case, you're going to have to figure out something to offer them that would be sweeter than them just staying put for a year or however long foreclosure would take.  

    Before going into more detail, is the seller living in this place right now?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. They are not living there and they are also not delinquent. They are able to pay the mortgage they just have nothing left to maintain it or to rehab it. It was their prior home and they kept it to let their kid live there who later ended up having drug problems and basically just wouldn’t pay them and trashed the place over time and because of the condition it’s now in they couldn’t sell it for enough to cover their loan without fixing it up. They just want it gone so they can stop worrying about it.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David Nacco:

    @Sue K. They are not living there and they are also not delinquent. They are able to pay the mortgage they just have nothing left to maintain it or to rehab it. It was their prior home and they kept it to let their kid live there who later ended up having drug problems and basically just wouldn’t pay them and trashed the place over time and because of the condition it’s now in they couldn’t sell it for enough to cover their loan without fixing it up. They just want it gone so they can stop worrying about it.

     Then, I'd honestly wonder if this would be a good investment.  If it would require fixing up to sell it to cover their mortgage, this just doesn't sound like a good investment.  If you buy it at a discounted price, then put in what's necessary to get it sold or rented, it seems to me you're just buying their problem.  I could be wrong, of course.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. They owe 100K and could only sell now for like 70K current condition. If we put $40,000 into it it could sell for around $215,000. So after paying off the mortgage and rehab costs there would still be a $65,000 spread, probably left with around $45,000 after closing costs conservatively which we would split 50/50.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @David Nacco typo, sorry $75,000 leftover, 55,000 after closing costs

  • Investor · Atlanta GA, USA · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Following. My brother has been wanting me to find him homeowners in situations like this.

    Hmm... I think it would be fair to split the Difference between current value and ARV.

    So 210k minus 70 = $140k.

    Minus 40k construction would leave $100k Before closing and such.

    It may seem like you’re screwing them because they will only walk away with like $15k, but you’re actually making them like $50k more than what they’d do without your help. That’s a great deal IMO.

    You seem like a nice guy, so maybe give them 10k off the top. Which is only $5k out of what you’d make.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.