The executor wants to send my contract to an attorney for review. Help!

The executor wants to send my contract to an attorney for review. Help!

Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes

Here's the deal: I have an inherited property with a brother and a sister as the heirs. However, their uncle is the executor. I have everyone verbally agreeing to sell me the house at 60% of ARV, with very minimal repairs.

My problem is the uncle wants $500 earnest money. I told him I only put down the legal minimum in Texas, $10, and that I do this because I buy houses as-is, pay all the closing costs and taxes, and I don't ask the seller for a thing. I think he will go along with my low earnest money amount, but now wants me to send him a copy of my contract to show to the attorney who handled the estate. My question is:

What, if anything, needs to be taken out or added to my contract to easily pass the attorney's approval? I understand that every attorney is different, but does anyone have any experience with this that can offer some good advice? I still need my out clauses and to be able to have ample time to market the property to another investor, so I can wholesale it. I also need to make certain that I can keep my low earnest money amount. Message me and I will email you a copy of my contract, so you can look it over.

This will be my first deal, if I can get through this hoop. I'm supposed to send my contract out, but am hesitant to do it until I know an attorney will approve it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

James Crow

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
13y

James,
I think what Mark was saying is "$10 EM (complaining about $500) for a 30 day "free" option", screams Shaky/flipper/etc.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    I think you're going about this all wrong. If its clear from the will, beneficiary deeds or whatever that you and your siblings inherit this property, then let that process occur. As part of executing the will, you and your two siblings become owners. Now your uncle is out of the picture.

    Now, turn around market the property. When you get a buyer, sell the property. Now, you and your siblings split the proceeds. You inherit the property with a stepped up basis equal to the value of the property on the date of death.

    I see no reason to overcomplicate things by you trying to buy it during the probate process.

    Now, if you're going to buy at 60% of ARV and pay your brother and sister each 20% of ARV to gain full possession, then I hope there's more to this story. If you turn around and sell at, say, 70% of ARV, are you going to pocket the entire amount? Which would net you 30% of ARV. You taking that extra cut is the sort of thing that can tear families apart. Even if they agree to it now, if you end up with a big payday, it will linger in the future. You may be entitled to something extra for your efforts to sell the property. But I would surely split the net profits evenly between all siblings.

  • Jason GrotePro Member
    Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    Jon Holdman I think James Crow is saying that he has a contract on a property where 3 relatives (not his own) are the heirs. If this is correct, this is my advice:

    Most attorneys will want to see the verbage "as-is, where is" on the contract. They will probably advise them to not sign any disclosures if they have not lived there.

    I recommend using the TREC contract that all Texas Realtors use. It will put most attorneys at ease because they are already familiar with it. Use the option period to build in your time to look for a buyer. Whatever EM you do put in will be refunded if you terminate the contract in the option period. However you will lose your option money. More than likely the attorney will recommend that you put some skin in the game, but who knows you may get by with your $10 EM.

  • Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Sorry for the miscommunication. I should have specified. I am not related to any of these people. It is a brother and a sister that have inherited a house and their uncle is the executor. I am trying to wholesale the house that they have inherited. I am in no way related to any of the heirs.

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    13y

    Jon Holdman, I think you misread James Crow's post. He appears to have a deal with the heirs on an estate sale. Their uncle is the executor and wants to run the contract by the estate attorney.

    James, I don't think I would give the guy a problem over a $500 deposit (paid to an escrow agent) but I will say that attorneys are known to be deal killer's. I had someone back out based on "attorney review" and the stated reason was "price"! Price is not the purpose of legal review, imo. Anyway, I'd shoot the attorney a copy and state that you would be happy to discuss any of the provisions with him. I doubt that the uncle will back off his request.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    I concur with the post above that says to use the standard state realtor contract. Last year I had a 1031 exchange where both the buyer and seller had attorneys; they were more than happy to use the state realtor contract, along with the addenda that was drawn up specific to each transaction (plus the 1031 exchange addendum as well).

  • Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Thank y'all so much for the quick and solid responses. I agree the TREC contract is the best way to go. My only issue is the 7 day option period. Can I lengthen than to allow for more time? I would really feel more comfortable if it were at least 30 days.

    Any advice there? Thanks again!

  • Jason GrotePro Member
    Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    James Crow There is no limit to the option period, but it is for inspection purposes. A 30-day inspection on a house seems a little suspect and may raise flags. 15 days is the max I have seen, but it depends on the seller's urgency.

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    13y

    Rather than have a bunch of different contingencies, I'd just put in a 30 day "feasibility study period"... you can find the purchase not feasible for any reason or no reason. I agree on using the local Board of Realtors contract.

  • SFR Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 484 posts · 181 votes
    13y

    You want to lock up a property for 30 days at under market value, with a $10 *refundable* deposit?

    Wow.

  • Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    No need for negativity. I'm just trying to learn.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    James,
    I think what Mark was saying is "$10 EM (complaining about $500) for a 30 day "free" option", screams Shaky/flipper/etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Sorry, I did misread that these were your brother and sister.

    But the same thing still applies. Why not let the property get transferred to the brother and sister and then buy it directly from them?

  • Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I definitely do not want to come across as a shaky flipper. I just want to get in the deal with as little risk as possible.

    Jon Holdman, they are actively trying to sell the property now. They've been posting it on Craigslist. I believe it's in a trust. I'm still completing my due diligence.

    I think I know what I need to do. Thank y'all for the sound advice . I truly appreciate it!

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Where I am an estate attorney would advise his clients not to accept $10 EM. As he should. That doesn't mean his clients have to agree with him. There's no commitment or skin in the game with such a low EM and he'll advise them of that. IMO, you should prepare to pony up real EM if it really is a great deal.

    Who holds title to the property now? If the brother and sister already inherited it, why is the executor still involved?

  • SFR Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 484 posts · 181 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by James Crow:
    No need for negativity. I'm just trying to learn.

    Fine, call me a wet blanket if you want, but what you're asking of the sellers is unreasonable. They have property taxes, utilities & insurance to pay for while you're trying to "wholesale" this property. If you cant perform, you will have wasted their time and their money, with no intention of making them whole. You've misrepresented yourself to them as a "buyer", when you *arent* a buyer. If you can't tell the sellers the truth about what you're doing, then your business model is a sham.

  • Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Okay, I would appreciate constructive advice please. Nobody called you a "wet blanket", you are putting words in my mouth. I am a "newbie", who just got laid-off from his six-figure job. I am trying to do what I can to keep it coming in. I am on this site, reaching out for advice, to learn how to do things the right way, from people who have already done it. Nobody was born with this knowledge. I can't read and study about every possible scenario I am going to run into, before I try to put a deal together. Instead of shooting people down, why not follow your colleagues here, that have instead chosen to kindly give me better alternatives, that would be the most beneficial for myself and the sellers?

    Everyone else, I truly appreciate your willingness to help guide a "newbie." Mark H. Let's just drop it. None of this is worth arguing over, especially since we don't know each other from Adam.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Part of the learning process, especially in online forums, is to be able to accept criticism (with thick enough skin) ...

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    James Crow I've done dozens of deals with low or no EM. But never with an attorney involved. I think I did one with $100 once, but I was the estate's only offer. If there is no attorney, I work out a purchase agreement with the executor and/or the heirs. An attorney is required to advise his client. Lots of attorneys don't know squat about RE and contract law. But they know all about risk, and are trained to detect risk. Low EM and weird contingencies indicate risk, so they will advise their clients of such.

    You might do better to partner up on this one. Partner with an experienced investor who has the EM and who can tell if it's really a deal. You'll get paid, even if it's less, but you'll learn so much.

  • Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    K. Marie Poe Thank you! That is not a bad idea. I'm not concerned with making a lot of money. I really just want to get some experience, so I can create better deals later.

  • Jason GrotePro Member
    Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    James Crow I do agree with Mark H. remarks about wasting a seller's time. Our families business ethics won't allow us to get a house under contract that we can not close even if we fully intend on wholesaling it. The market does not need another "investor" who can not "invest" in my opinion.

    A real estate investor needs to always be above board in their communication and dealings or else the publics' trust in what we do will be diminished. We try to keep the seller's interest in mind and not ours only!

  • Real Estate Investor · Flint, TX · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Thank you Jason Grote! I appreciate you putting it in a way that makes sense and is contructive. That's great advice.

  • Jerry PuckettPro Member
    Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Hey James, any updates on this? What happened with this deal?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.