My first flip at age 21. Numbers and pictures!

My first flip at age 21. Numbers and pictures!

Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes

Thank you for taking the time to read about this little journey. I had just turned 20 when I bought a 3/1 SFH in Greenville SC. I found it on the MLS with help from a realtor and it only took 7 months and 9 above-asking offers before I got mine accepted! Not as easy as I thought it would've been.

I wanted to find a house that would work well as a rental when I decided to move out. We closed and I put around 5k into it. This included the closing costs, down payment, and a little TLC (thanks to seller concessions). I usually kept a roommate or two in there when I lived in the property. This offset my mortgage to less than $400 a month, and if I had both rooms occupied, I was cash flowing $12 dollars or something like that.

After the neighborhood blew up in value, I decided it'd be best to sell. I hired a GC and got a quote to do the rehab. After about a month and a half of time spent doing the renovations, I had it listed on the market. It was on market for 4 days before I received a full asking price offer. We closed around 45 days after. 


Here are the numbers: 

- I bought it for 94k. Used seller concessions and paid $3,700 at closing. TLC work roughly $1,300 at move in.

- Rehab cost me 28k

      - I sold it for $159k

          - I profited 28k after closing

Now in saying this, I hope this doesn't come off as easy or simplistic. I made plenty of mistakes I didn't need to and this was beyond stressful at times. I'll list out a few mistakes I made below. 

Mistake 1: Not sticking to my budget. My rehab budget started at $10,500. As you can see I clearly did not estimate this well enough and kept adding things on towards the end. Thankfully I had room in the numbers or this would have been a very bad mistake.

Mistake 2: Not having enough reserves. I won't go into detail but I had a LOT of close calls. I scraped by on this project. I really should have set aside more funds to tackle this but I'm more of a "jump first then learn how to swim later" kinda guy.

Mistake 3: Not negotiating with the contractor. He was a family friend that we had known for many, many years. Although, I should have been a more savvy when it came to negotiating with the contractor. Not to be "that guy", but if I were to have asked for a lower price on a few things here and there, I could have walked away with a few more grand back in my pocket.

I hope in reading this that it gives you a bit of courage to jump in and do the next project that you have your eye on. I know diving into unknown waters can be frightening at times. It all comes down to getting outside of your comfort zone. 

"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning"

- Rober Kiyosaki

38Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 37 votes
7y

@Wil Reichard

Wow thanks for sharing. The pictures are great too. Congrats on the success and all the valuable lessons learned.

If you don't mind, could you tell us how you came upon the deal? Was it through a broker, MLS, wholesaler, your own footwork? Also, how did you finance the acquisition and rehab? Hard money? Credit cards?

Congrats again!

See this reply in the discussion

75 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing! Nice before and after on the outside!

    What is sellers concessions if you don't mind me asking? Did you not have to front the $94k? So when you sold it for $159k, is that when you paid off the seller and just pocketed the rest?

    Noob here trying to learn as much as he can before jumping into the deep end :)

    P.S. Omg that kitchen is gorgeous.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia Seller concessions is cash provided to the buyer by the seller at closing.

    The most common example is something minor needing a fix.  During inspection, the buyer notices that a little item needs to be fixed.  Let's say $200 to fix it.  The seller can choose to fix the item or just offer some cash to the buyer to have it fixed themselves.  Because of the inconvenience, they offer $500 to the buyer.

    @Wil Reichard do you mind sharing some details on the financing portion?  It reads like you got a hard money loan?  If that's the case, what were the terms and holding costs?

    I noticed that your profit looked really high for the numbers listed and you only had $8k-$9k in holding/points/fees.  If that's the case, that's really low for your first time.

    Great job!

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 269 votes
    7y

    @Wil Reichard Congratulations. House came out beautiful. And I’m sure the money in your account looks even more beautiful. 

    Best of luck in all your endeavors.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Wil Reichard

    Wow thanks for sharing. The pictures are great too. Congrats on the success and all the valuable lessons learned.

    If you don't mind, could you tell us how you came upon the deal? Was it through a broker, MLS, wholesaler, your own footwork? Also, how did you finance the acquisition and rehab? Hard money? Credit cards?

    Congrats again!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia Thanks Spencer! That makes sense.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia just like Spencer put it. Seller concessions is when you get a loan and ask the seller during the negotiations to allow a credit. It's like getting cash back at closing. I fronted a very small amount of the down payment and my loan covered the remaining 94k.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia I actually used a conventional loan since I was living in the home. 3% down, 30 year note. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Dadlani Thanks Anthony for the kind words. More to come. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Steven Scheetz Hey Steven, not at all! I had a realtor helping me shop the MLS. Probably why it took so long for me to find something. The home was purchased through a conventional loan with 3% down. The rehab was funded through credit cards. Not the best way to do it but it worked nonetheless.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Wil Reichard

    Great! I don’t see anything wrong with the route you took. Straightforward and simple are good things, and it obviously worked out. Thanks again for sharing and best of luck to you on your next one! Cheers!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Wil Reichard

    What did you pay in commissions and closing costs?

    How long did you live there?

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Max T. Hey, Commission was paid by seller when I bought the property. When I sold it I paid 6% to the buyers and sellers agent. Closing costs from title when I sold the property was roughly $800.

    I lived there for 22 months.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Beautiful work!! Congratulations on your success in this great area of SC!

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Wil Reichard

    Looks great! Welcome to the world of REI!

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Ola Dantis Appreciated!

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Emily Garriott Thank you Emily! Greenville SC is an amazing place to live. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Wil Reichard great job! The house looks great and that is a tidy sum to walk away with on your first flip. Having a few flips under my belt, I know what you mean about the close calls and it's not as easy as the numbers may make it seem haha.

  • Contractor · Edgewater, Md. · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Wil Reichard nice job!

    Did you have to pay capital gains by selling before two years?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.