šŸ–šŸ–Please share your advice! Buying first house to rehab

šŸ–šŸ–Please share your advice! Buying first house to rehab

Investor Ā· Indianapolis, IN Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 756 votes

Looking to create an LLC and buy my first property to renovate and then rent out of possibly sell. (BRRRR)This house is listed for 100k, 4bd, 4 bath. It is in an extremely high and up and coming area. Other house on the same street and neighbors are selling for 300k and 400k.

This house has fire damage! When I know it will need a complete rehab do I waste time getting an inspection?

When I go look at the house with my realtor should I meet a contractor there too? Or how can I get an estimate of the total cost to rehab?

It will need a complete rehab. I do have experience in real estate but not flipping. Tell me some basics of what I should know or do! 

Thank you.  

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Coach Ā· Round Rock, TX Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 431 posts Ā· 235 votes
7y

I flip fire-damaged properties and own a fire damage restoration company. It can be a big undertaking. Unless you are rather experienced with this type of damage, it may be hard for your to tell the extent of damage. The place to start is by asking them what the insurance company decision is--that might tell you some of what you need to know.

Beyond that, I would suggest getting an experienced restoration company to look at it and give you a run-down on what it will need. There are many things that could be overlooked as part of the renovation on fire-damaged properties. 

As with any investment) the numbers have to be right and you have to do a lot of homework to know what you are getting into. The challenge with fire damaged properties if you have never done one is that there is more than meets the eye. For example, often fire damage is water damage--they put the red stuff out with wet stuff. Furthermore, there is the potential of extensive smoke damage in the same airspace.

Find a fire restoration company/contractor to walk the property with you and give you a good understanding as to what needs to be done.

Lastly, I would not be too quick to disregard @Mark Fries ā€˜ advice. Just because it is a good opportunity, doesn’t mean it is the right opportunity FOR YOU. When asked for me advice, I steer people away from Fire Damage for their first flip. I quoted a job last month that was around $150k in Damage and the flipper thought it going to cost $75k!!! A job like this can go badly quickly.

I’d be happy to help if I can. Let me know.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor Ā· Jacksonville, FL Ā· Member since 2017 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Justin G.

    I would never make my first deal a total fire damage rehab. You are asking for problems...

    Make your first deal an easy one so you can build your system and also gain experience.

  • Investor Ā· Indianapolis, IN Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 756 votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries ya that’s what I was thinking too. But like I said the area is extremely up and coming and this could also be a great opportunity. 

    What is the process for inspection and getting a contractor to estimate the damage?

  • Contractor Ā· Jacksonville, FL Ā· Member since 2017 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Justin G.

    I wont give advice for something that's a terrible idea...you should move on to the next deal.

    I have been there and done that 40 times over..."but it's a great deal in a great area"...that's just you talking yourself into the deal...

  • Investor Ā· Indianapolis, IN Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 756 votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries I think it’s better if YOU don’t give me advice. Thank you. 

  • Contractor Ā· Jacksonville, FL Ā· Member since 2017 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Justin G.

    Thanks for sending me a pm calling me an idiot...

    I hope you purchase this house and it bankrupts you and I hope the contractors you hire take all of your money.

  • Real Estate Coach Ā· Round Rock, TX Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 431 posts Ā· 235 votes
    7y

    I flip fire-damaged properties and own a fire damage restoration company. It can be a big undertaking. Unless you are rather experienced with this type of damage, it may be hard for your to tell the extent of damage. The place to start is by asking them what the insurance company decision is--that might tell you some of what you need to know.

    Beyond that, I would suggest getting an experienced restoration company to look at it and give you a run-down on what it will need. There are many things that could be overlooked as part of the renovation on fire-damaged properties. 

    As with any investment) the numbers have to be right and you have to do a lot of homework to know what you are getting into. The challenge with fire damaged properties if you have never done one is that there is more than meets the eye. For example, often fire damage is water damage--they put the red stuff out with wet stuff. Furthermore, there is the potential of extensive smoke damage in the same airspace.

    Find a fire restoration company/contractor to walk the property with you and give you a good understanding as to what needs to be done.

    Lastly, I would not be too quick to disregard @Mark Fries ā€˜ advice. Just because it is a good opportunity, doesn’t mean it is the right opportunity FOR YOU. When asked for me advice, I steer people away from Fire Damage for their first flip. I quoted a job last month that was around $150k in Damage and the flipper thought it going to cost $75k!!! A job like this can go badly quickly.

    I’d be happy to help if I can. Let me know.

  • Investor Ā· Indianapolis, IN Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 756 votes
    7y

    @Jeremy VanDelinderawesome thanks!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 Ā· 15k+ posts Ā· 11k+ votes
    7y

    Talk to a company that does fire restorations and get a quote from them as well as a timeline.  I'd still do the inspection as you don't know what other problems there are.  

  • Rental Property Investor Ā· Sioux Falls, SD Ā· Member since 2019 Ā· 129 posts Ā· 138 votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries @Justin G.

    Alright guys, please grow up and use BP to bring positivity to other investors. This platform can be such a beautiful thing when used right, and yet people turn it into this. JUST BRING VALUE TO EACHOTHER

  • Real Estate Coach Ā· Round Rock, TX Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 431 posts Ā· 235 votes
    7y

    @Justin Goodinhave you already looked at it? What damage is there?

  • Rental Property Investor Ā· Mountain View, CA Ā· Member since 2017 Ā· 83 posts Ā· 59 votes
    7y

    @Justin G.

    1) Don’t property manage it yourself

    2) get multiple quotes on the work

    3) have multiple contractors lined up in case on me falters

    4) be picky about tenants don’t rush into a bad one

  • Investor Ā· Indianapolis, IN Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 756 votes
    7y

    @Jeremy VanDelinder damage is mostly on top in the attic and roof. I would love to send you some pics so you can give your professional opinion. 

  • Real Estate Coach Ā· Round Rock, TX Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 431 posts Ā· 235 votes
    7y

    Sure—you can send me pics. I’ll PM my email.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.