Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Just Don
Votes |
Refinish pine floors or install 'Pergo" or laminate?

Just Don
Posted Feb 9 2012, 08:15

I am at odds with the guy helping me reno my reno. He says just buy carpet. He hasnt run rentals to see what happens to rental carpet. I am so tired of replacing carpet. Going to wood floor,,,they can buy a area carpet if they want.

Anyway I "thought" there was oak hardwood under carpet. Guess its only hard if you hit your head on it. Turns out its 'soft' wood,,,pine flooring which is pretty common back in day of build. Pine still looks good but not as luxery as oak and its softer and scratches more easily.

Other factor is it needs patched in a few places where wall/doorway was moved and heat registers moved.

Is a pergo laminate oak floor better than pine? Been told this house should rent from 6 to 700 a month,its small.

I wanted to put ceramic tile in kitchen and laundry/back entry. Linoleum is my helpers first choice. Had too many ripped ruined and burned to do that,,,plus it is slick with snow on your feet. Ceramic is colder on bare feet,,,thats why throw rugs were invented.

Pergo or pine??? vinyl or ceramic?

User Stats

Votes
Dumitru Anton
  • Cumming, GA
Votes |
  • Cumming, GA
Replied Apr 23 2015, 07:56
Originally posted by @Marcia Maynard:

We bought a SFR built in 1941 and we refinished the original pine floors. Our first tenant after the floor refinishing was a petite woman who loved stilettos. She lived there for less than a year. All of the pine wood floors now have pock marks from the heels of the stilettos. I was crushed.

@Marcia Maynard,

could you say, you have the "weathered" look? some pay big money in today world to have that...

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Apr 23 2015, 08:46
Originally posted by @Dumitru Anton:
Originally posted by @Marcia Maynard:

We bought a SFR built in 1941 and we refinished the original pine floors. Our first tenant after the floor refinishing was a petite woman who loved stilettos. She lived there for less than a year. All of the pine wood floors now have pock marks from the heels of the stilettos. I was crushed.

@Marcia Maynard,

could you say, you have the "weathered" look? some pay big money in today world to have that...

Hmm... all about perspective isn't it? I guess I could, but that would mislead the tenants to "weather" them even more! I'm not a fan of weathered and torn jeans or distressed wood furniture either. :-)

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kurt F.
  • Investor
  • Rocktown, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rocktown, IL
Replied Apr 23 2015, 13:08

It was mentioned early on this thread by someone (then kind of ignored!), but generically stating "pine" isn't enough info.  Longleaf southern yellow pine is between two and three times the hardness of Eastern White Pine.  The former can be properly finished and used for flooring;  refinishing the latter for a rental is a complete waste of time.  It pays to find out what species you have. 

I still like @Joel Owens ceramic tile suggestion.  (Or porcelain if found on sale.) 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Bell
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Apr 25 2017, 15:09

This is an older thread, but anyone reading for answers about their own floors needs to check out Fabulous Floors in the Atlanta area. They do great work if you are considering refinishing or resurfacing! 

http://fabulousfloorsatlanta.com/

User Stats

Votes
Julie Thevenow
  • Investor
  • Madison, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison, IN
Replied Apr 26 2017, 17:57

old pine floor that I refinished.