Flippers Priced Out of Market Now?

Flippers Priced Out of Market Now?

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes


An alternate title for my post could be 'Flippers and the Law of Diminishing Spreads'!

I am in the Las Vegas market and am running up against the same issues I am repeatedly hearing for other markets in that the pricing for trustee sales and REOs are getting bid up to nearly list which wasn't the case a year or even as recent as 6 mos. ago. That being said plus the fact that short sales are also becoming increasingly difficult to buy at enough of discount makes for a non-existent market or at the very least slimmer profit margins for the active flipper. That is, unless your exit strategy is to sell at above market to unsuspecting buyers who don't care (show me where these folks are, please!).

Everywhere you look, it has become saturated with cash retail buyers and buy-and-hold investors who don't mind paying 90 cents on the dollar and just look at getting a better return than a lousy 2% CD which makes zero sense to me! Us flippers don't stand a chance competing with this segment. And as Marty Boardman has made it clear in today's blog [ (http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2011/03/03/the-incredible-vanishing-bulk-reo-seller), bulk REOs at pricing that makes sense simply don't exist.

So what is your search criteria now? 90+ DOM? Pre-list/pocket listings? Major rehabs?

What about the public REO auctions like REDC, or are they largely a waste of time?

What other choices do we have???

2Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y

At least in my market, things are very cyclical (or at least ever changing)...

There will be periods of weeks or months where we find it difficult to find any properties that meet our criteria (this often happens during the summer and around the winter holidays) and then we'll see weeks or months where lots of great deals hit the market without much competition (beginning of the year and September/October are notoriously good)..

We now try to buy as much as possible during the "good" times, and don't stress about the lack of inventory during the "bad" times, knowing that things will soon change.

For reference, the past two months have been pretty good in my area -- we've purchased three properties and have a couple more we're currently negotiating. I expect in a couple months things will dry up again for a while.

Perhaps if you look closely enough, you'll find the same types of cycles in your market, though they may not line up the same way...

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    At least in my market, things are very cyclical (or at least ever changing)...

    There will be periods of weeks or months where we find it difficult to find any properties that meet our criteria (this often happens during the summer and around the winter holidays) and then we'll see weeks or months where lots of great deals hit the market without much competition (beginning of the year and September/October are notoriously good)..

    We now try to buy as much as possible during the "good" times, and don't stress about the lack of inventory during the "bad" times, knowing that things will soon change.

    For reference, the past two months have been pretty good in my area -- we've purchased three properties and have a couple more we're currently negotiating. I expect in a couple months things will dry up again for a while.

    Perhaps if you look closely enough, you'll find the same types of cycles in your market, though they may not line up the same way...

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    If your strategy is selling to unsuspecting buyers to get your spread, maybe you're trying to operate in the wrong strategy. The market is not static, you need to adapt to changes and employ methods that fit your market.

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    15y

    I started making offers again last August. It took almost twenty before I hit on one to close next week. I saw all kinds of goofy stuff during this time frame.....
    Counters back at list, lost some to others for list, lost some for $10k over list, ETC. I am not looking at anything over ARV of $130k either. So, it is my speculation that long term buyers are heavily in the market for rentals. I figure I will get another shot at these properties when the fantasy wears off. Some of these deals fell through and are already back on the market.
    Don

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    15y

    Plus how many of those wannabe landlords will be pulling out their hair and dumping the properties at a loss 1-2 years from now when they realize they aren't cut out to deal with tenant stress...

  • Homeowner · West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    I'm pretty new to investing, however this seems to be what is going on in the Sacramento, CA area as well. It looks like inventory is pretty low, as the banks have been slow to release their REO's. They are doing so very slowly so they don't flood the market. Everything I've heard from experienced flippers, and by looking at the properties closed on the MLS, it looks like profit margins have dried up. The market looks a lot different from what it was a year ago, and I'm looking at some deals on the MLS where I'm just totally confused and shocked that the investor was able to make any type of profit. I also think many people in CA who are cash buyers are long term buy and hold investors. As already said, they are buying near full listing price or over, which has made some of my recent offers look very weak even though I'm going all cash as well. In addition, the whole Sacramento market has softened up, and houses that were selling for $125 ago a year ago, are now just sitting on the market at $115k. Some investors look like they are doing some of these deals for nearly nothing. I'm just getting started, and I'm not about to do my first flip for a $1000 profit. I've found this to be very frustrating and honestly a bit depressing since I would really like to get started.

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I have noticed the same trend. Vegas and Phoenix have both witnessed a substantial increase in the average purchase price as a percent of ARV and profit margins are quite a bit tighter now compared to a year ago.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    We have started to see things looking better from the flipper perspective, in fact we were having a lot of problems getting offers accepted for the last several months...last week we had two and are on the verge of a third.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    Yes I have been looking at flips in my area also.There is a bunch of competition as well but there are always deals.

    One that looked really good was gone in 3 days in my area.Of course it's the weekend I had a business conference to go to out of town.It seems stuff like that always happens.

    In what I call BUBBLE MARKETS such as Cali and Nevada many purchasers are speculating on the next ramp up.

    It's not as much about cash flow as appreciation.Home buyers see it as a way to lock in low rates and when the cycle comes back up do the cash out refi game again tax free.

    What I am currently looking at for myself is velocity and time.

    I figure for a residential flip say I made 25,000 profit in 4 months.That comes to 6,250 a month.

    Now if I closed more commercial real estate transactions then my returns would be greater.

    I am looking at doing a flip versus say buying a franchised restaurant business.I know the restaurant business.

    I want to acquire income streams but work on but not in the businesses daily.For me it becomes about allocation of time versus risk and income potential.

    I would like to acquire some commercial properties for my long term value add portfolio.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Hyattsville , MD · Member since 2011 · 298 posts · 256 votes
    15y

    I think it depends on the market you are in and the price range that you can buy. In my area under 125k there are tons of properties. There are even some areas under 50k that people are making a killing however those areas you have more competition and properties are gone quicker. Once you move into the DC area you probably have a harder time picking up anything under 200k. I think the other issue is that in most areas we are getting closer to spring so banks maybe pricing the homes higher to try to find a retail buyer.

  • Real Estate Investor · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2010 · 415 posts · 484 votes
    15y

    If your only source of properties is the MLS, then yes, I think you're going to have a tough time in some markets.

    That's why "I Buy Houses" marketing is key. You need a constant source of inbound inquiries where you might be the only one talking to a seller.

    Of course, that all worked a lot better in the day when more people had equity in their properties.

    But, when you get a call from an older couple that has had their house paid off for 20 years, and they know it's something of a wreck and the thought of strangers traipsing through their home annoys (or embarrasses) them to no end...cha-ching!

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Joel Owens:
    In what I call BUBBLE MARKETS such as Cali and Nevada many purchasers are speculating on the next ramp up.

    It's not as much about cash flow as appreciation.Home buyers see it as a way to lock in low rates and when the cycle comes back up do the cash out refi game again tax free.

    Whomever is betting on "the next rampup", or any appreciation for that matter, is going to be waiting it out for at least another few years, and if and when it does start going back the other way, it won't be enough of a return to bother. Appreciation is an obsolete notion of the last 50 years. We cannot ever depend on it again. Buying for appreciation is pure speculation, not investing. You're better off going down to the casino. It's how we all got in this mess to begin with.
    If you do get it, great, it's a bonus. Your main business should be buying to flip or buying for cash flow or both. I actually believe things will get much worse and prices will drop even further - at the very least for this year and next.

    The fact is there is an increasing supply of distressed property as well as unemployment, lack of financing, etc., for there to be any basis for appreciation anytime soon.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
    15y

    This article in today's local paper tells it like I was saying:
    http://www.lvrj.com/business/investors-shake-up-residential-neighborhood-mix-117482953.html

    More than 50% of the buyers are all-cash buy-and hold investors, happy to earn their 8-15% annual returns. These buyers are some of the ones I need to sell to, NOT compete with, as they are buying retail and I need to buy wholesale. It's like trying to buy at wholesale prices at Walmart. Ain't gonna happen. The bottom line is that wherever there is product easily accessible to the buying public, it quickly becomes a losing proposition for flippers and wholesalers.

    And yes, you can eliminate this competition by working pre-foreclosures and short sales, but then it's a hit and miss since you're at the mercy of the lender because 99.9% of all motivated sellers here in Vegas have zero equity.

    So, again, what flipping strategies are left at the end of the day?

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    The data from Moody's/Case-Schiller suggests not all tiers are depreciating as rapidly in Vegas. The high tier (over $320,232) looks almost stable. It is out of the meat of the market activity, of course.

    Is there foreclosure activity in that tier? The larger amounts of cash involved may discourage cash buyers, and it is likely to be a longer turnaround on your money. But the net per deal may be better.

    I can't find anything that lays out REOs by pricing...

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    I am with you on the buy and holders possibly being early. Unemployment is crazy in Vegas. I wouldn't bet on stable rents in the short term either.

  • Real Estate Investor · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2010 · 415 posts · 484 votes
    15y

    Sounds like you need to focus on properties with a long DOM or those that are so in need of repair that "gentlemen investors" won't touch them.

    Are you looking to wholesale or retail, and if retail, to end-buyers or investors?

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by DeuceSevenOff:
    Sounds like you need to focus on properties with a long DOM or those that are so in need of repair that "gentlemen investors" won't touch them.

    Are you looking to wholesale or retail, and if retail, to end-buyers or investors?

    Generally, my exit strategy has been to sell to retail buyers, however, since over 50% of our buying market are cash buy-and-hold investors, I can't ignore them. In fact, my last deal was sold to a cash investor. We take a little less on the price, but they close fast and as is.

    What do you suggest is a long DOM? Even @ 90 days, banks are rejecting offers unless at least 90% of list. These banks are complete idiots because the prices keep dropping and what they are forced to lower it to is at or even less than what we offered 3 months back!

    Like the buy-and-hold speculators, these banks are betting on the come that pricing will pick up, a highly risky, if not losing proposition indeed!

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    The 50% figure in the article was January. I guess there's some chance for more retail buying as the spring comes along, but I understand the concern.

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    And an apology. The Moody's data I was looking at earlier was for Denver (doh!). Vegas' high-tier is the over 181,636 bucket. It dropped about 5% YOY as of December. This tracks with depreciation in the other tiers.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jimmy Oldrich:
    And an apology. The Moody's data I was looking at earlier was for Denver (doh!). Vegas' high-tier is the over 181,636 bucket. It dropped about 5% YOY as of December. This tracks with depreciation in the other tiers.

    I like Vegas because there's never a shortage of distressed product to mine, but I don't like it enough to buy-and-hold even if I had the millions in cash reserves my competition supposedly has for the very reasons proven by the statistics! Those with adequate liquidity can weather the storm of this declining market for many more years to come because they are buying the cap rate - and to them - 8-15% is better than anything else right now. These are passive investors, most likely retired, and don't want to bother with doing flips even though the ROI is many times better vs. buy-and-hold.

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    Right. I am kind of interested in whether it's possible to trade as it trends down. But if the spreads are tough, they're tough.

    National mortgage data is showing double foreclosures trending up. I don't know whether that's a cured foreclosure going back into process or a previously sold foreclosure going back into process.

    Either way, it's interesting.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jimmy Oldrich:
    Right. I am kind of interested in whether it's possible to trade as it trends down. But if the spreads are tough, they're tough.

    National mortgage data is showing double foreclosures trending up. I don't know whether that's a cured foreclosure going back into process or a previously sold foreclosure going back into process.

    Either way, it's interesting.

    Funny you mention "trade". Flipping is really no different than day trading equities in a bear market. We're just doing it with a tangible investment, albeit with no where near the same volatility and secondary market liquidity. The trustee sales are like a crude version of the floor of the NYSE! And the foreclosure bidding services are analogous to the floor traders taking the order from the various firms' clients. Even some of the trustee sales in certain counties now offer real time online bidding.
    Check this out:
    http://www.bubbleinfo.com/2010/02/21/on-line-trustee-sales-fl/

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    You echo my thinking exactly. Having a good process to keep execution costs down is critical. How to scale it across regions is challenging.

    A good system could probably be franchised for a better, frictionless gross margin. I think this is the insight behind operations like homevestor.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
    15y

    Although this is getting off the topic of my post, I think the writing's on the wall that eventually, all property acqusitions and sales can be executed online in automated fashion with a choice to go "full service" as with full service securities brokers vs. discount brokers. One would have the choice of a value added appraisal service similar to Moody's that does extreme inspections and that the buyer would, of course, have the ability to do physical self-inspections if they so desire. The days of full-service brokers getting 6% will become a thing of the past.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Ocala, FL · Member since 2009 · 255 posts · 65 votes
    15y

    Tim get in contact with me. Warning though, I'm an icky broker that thinks 6% is inexpensive. I flip in Florida using the trustee sale and other avenues, one of which seems to be a good idea for you.

    Aaron Churnick
    Marc Joseph Realty

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    "Churn and burn" was a popular phrase in the '80s. Happy hunting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.