Poor tenants. Upstairs flat roof unit is too hot!

Poor tenants. Upstairs flat roof unit is too hot!

Real Estate Agent · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 19 votes

We have a 15 unit, two story apartment complex that has a flat roof. All the upstairs units are extremely hot during the summer in southern California. We replaced the roof 2 years ago with a white TPO material, which promised to reduce heat(before it was gravel and tar) They installed 1 inch foam over the gravel and tar, and then installed the TPO on top. Of course, I still can't tell the difference in heat reduction even though it's a California Title 24, white roof that reflects heat. If I change a ceiling fan or a light in the ceiling, the screws and metal box are so hot I can barely touch it.

Aside from ripping out all the ceiling and putting in insulation, is there a way to vent the hot air out? 

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    8y

    Sounds like a major issue.   Dealt with several flat roofs and never seen something like this.  Sounds like there is no air gap between the roof and the ceiling.   

    I don't see how you can vent when there is nothing to vent.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.