Atlanta, Georgia - thoughts on transitional neighborhoods ITP

Atlanta, Georgia - thoughts on transitional neighborhoods ITP

Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 110 votes

For all my ITP (inside the perimeter) Atlanta investors, what are everyone's perspectives on the transitional neighborhoods in Atlanta, particularly those on the West side of town? 

I have done some driving the past few weekends to check out some potential properties I've found online (side note - glad I did because it gave me a much better perspective on the properties and neighborhoods. Things that looked great in the pictures often became significantly less appealing in person...). Here are my observations on a few sub-markets.

Florida Heights - pretty "transitional", but there also seems to be a decent amount of investor activity. A lot of homes I've been watching get snatched up within 1-2 weeks, sometimes even just a few days. 

Pittsburgh - drove by their yesterday, and it was pretty rough. Definitely not somewhere I would feel safe living or visiting after dark. There seem to be some renovations going on in the area, but not nearly as many as the other transitional neighborhoods I've been to. I'm wondering if it's a little early in the transitioning stages for most investors? For the house I was looking at, even if I rehabbed it, I'm worried there may not be sufficient demand yet to flip it or rent it out at a price that makes the cash flow work. 

Ashview Heights - looks like there are several active renovations going on. Seems to be a little more mature in its transition than Florida Heights or Pittsburgh. 

Peoplestown / Reynoldstown / etc. - I feel like these markets on the East side are pretty saturated and inflated. There are still deals here, but they may be harder to find. 

What are everyone else's thoughts on different transitional sub-markets in Atlanta? Any perspectives on places you think are hot now, oversaturated, or which may become good opportunities in the near future as the city continues to transition?

2Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

Rendering of plans for 352 University. Breaking ground in March this year. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan MahoneyPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 350 votes
    8y

    @Michael Ehmann There is a lot of investor activity in all of the neighborhoods you mentioned.  You are starting to see owner-occupants buying renovated homes but most properties are investor owned and most residents are renters.  You could add Oakland City and South Atlanta to your list.  Each neighborhood is a little different.

    You might also care about sources of philanthropic support in specific neighborhoods.  For example, Ashview Heights (like English Avenue and Vine City) is being supported by Westside Future Fund, which is funded by major Atlanta benefactors like Arthur Blank and Dan Cathy.  Pittsburgh borders on the Annie E Casey Foundation's planned development on University Ave (though it's been "planned" for a good long while).  South Atlanta has Focused Community Strategies, a Christian non-profit that has introduced, among other good things, a grocery store, coffee shop and bike shop to the neighborhood.

    There's also, of course, the Beltline and Bellwood Quarry to consider.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    I live and invest in Pittsburgh and it's super hot here right now. I just put 2 of my homes on the market - for investors - were both snapped up immediately. On both of them we pushed the market beyond what 'fixer-uppers' have been going for and I got full price cash offers within a couple of days. 

    The only reason I'm selling some is to get more cash, because I know of a few off-market properties coming up and their locations are closer to where I'm working. 

    Don't let the first impression of Pittsburgh fool you. If a single white woman, driving around in a little red car, has no fear here, it's not as bad as people think it is. 

    Annie E. Casey is planning a March ground breaking at 352 University. The 1st building will hold 100 maker studios/entrepreneurial spaces/start-ups. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Michael Ehmann Pittsburgh is definitely hot right now. There is a lot of investor activity. West End, Westview, Pittsburgh, Oakland City, Capitol View, and pretty much all the areas in and around that vicinity are great areas to invest right now. The one thing I would keep in mind is just because you see an area one way does not necessarily mean a retail buyer would see the same. The low days on market in a lot of these pockets show that people want to live there.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Rendering of plans for 352 University. Breaking ground in March this year. 

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Michaela G.! That is some good info I was unaware of. Will this be connected directly to the beltline somehow?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Brown:

    Thanks @Michaela G.! That is some good info I was unaware of. Will this be connected directly to the beltline somehow?

     Yes, this is on the 32 acre lot between University Ave, bordering the southern part of the Beltline. In the rendering you'll see the train on the Beltline in the upper third from top right. 

    That lake in the top right is the reservoir in Capitol View Manor, which will be a big park. 

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Cool, yeah I had to pull out my BL map and saw it runs directly behind it. Will this be similar to the "Beacon" development?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Chris Brown , I don't know the Beacon Development, so, I don't know how comparable. 

    They are taking it in stages and have involved the Pittsburgh community in the planning stages etc. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Oh, I realize that you mean the Beacon in Grant Park. I'm under the impression that this one will be larger, since there're are 32 acres, which I think is larger than The Beacon.

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    The Beacon is a development already under construction in Peoplestown/Grant Park. Should be pretty cool one done. They took an old industrial area and are renovating some buildings and building some new as well. Will be connected to the BL.  The Beacon Atlanta

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    Thanks, all! @Gareth Jackson and @Michaela G., I really appreciate your perspectives on Pittsburgh and how it challenges my initial bias. I spoke to one of my realtor friends yesterday, and he shared similar perspectives to both of you. I am actually much more optimistic about that neighborhood and will keep it on my radar. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Newnan, GA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Great discussion about transitional neighborhoods ITP.  We've invested in Oakland City and Pittsburgh area in the past. There was certainly some heightened skepticism going in to the deals, but we came out unscathed in the end. As with any real estate investment, if the numbers work, they just work. This is not to say some deals don't require a bit more of a positive attitude and more calculated risk assessment.

    I'm delighted to hear about the philanthropic support that @Dan Mahoney mentioned. This is very exciting news. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.