Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michelle C.
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
Cat urine in subfloor

Michelle C.
  • Chandler, AZ
Posted

I'm getting ready to sell a rental property and the tenant let his cat urinate all over the carpet upstairs. I've pulled out all the carpet, padding, baseboards, and in some areas parts of the drywall in the impacted areas. Painted nearly everything on the floor and baseboard area with BIN primer. However, the plywood subfloor in the closet of the second bedroom smells awful. I soaked it liberally with a good quality enzyme cleaner, but it didn't do much, I then put several coats of BIN primer on it, but if i put my nose down to the floor I can still smell it, however the room doesn't smell any longer. My contractor doesn't think it's a good idea to remove the subfloor because its on a second story of a townhouse and the area is right up against a common wall between my unit and the unit next door, and to a bathroom. My next plan was to bring in an ozone machine. Would throwing any OdorXit on top do anything at this point? What about doing a layer of Kilz? More layers of BIN? 

Account Closed
  • Johnson City, TN
Votes |
  • Johnson City, TN
Replied

When showing the property don't allow prospective buyers to put their nose on the subfloor.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Okenwa
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied

I've heard OdoBan is good for removing the odor from pet urine.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Michelle C. I had a similar problem when I went to sell a rental - It was awful. Two coats of Kilz and it just smelled like new paint after that. Put it on the subfloor, baseboards, and sheetrock. In one corner that was particularly bad, I literally poured the Kilz on the subfloor and spread it around so it could go under the baseboards

User Stats

Votes
Michelle C.
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

When showing the property don't allow prospective buyers to put their nose on the subfloor.

Heh yeah, I doubt any buyers will go that far, I'm just worried the smell could come back up if it's not completely gone. 

User Stats

Votes
Michelle C.
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied
Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

@Michelle C. I had a similar problem when I went to sell a rental - It was awful. Two coats of Kilz and it just smelled like new paint after that. Put it on the subfloor, baseboards, and sheetrock. In one corner that was particularly bad, I literally poured the Kilz on the subfloor and spread it around so it could go under the baseboards

Thanks. I think i'll try some Kilz because I heard it's a bit thicker than BIN. The BIN worked well on all the other areas that weren't as bad, but it's pretty thin so I had to keep layering on. I have to fly back out there in about two weeks so I'll see whether it's better or worse after letting the place air out and the BIN seal everything up. 

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Replied

I hope you learned at least 2 things from this:

1) Don't allow pets in your rentals

2) Never use carpet. Vinyl plank flooring is waterproof. Costs more to install, but it should outlast years of tenant's abuse

User Stats

Votes
Rodney Morris
  • Charleston, WV
Votes |
  • Charleston, WV
Replied

Your contractor's probably right but may depend on how much experience you have with him. If he was just out for the money he would just do what you asked. Not sure how much the ODOBAN or others now will help if it's already been sealed with multiple coats of primer/sealer coatings. Airing out will do wonders and new flooring will have it's own smell as well, can't beat formaldehyde for hiding other issues.

User Stats

Votes
Gail K.
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Augusta, GA
Replied

SCOE 10X may help (do a google search on this).    Followed by liberal portions of Kilz oil based sealer.   

Your concern is understandable since a closed closet may likely cause issues with floor odors down the road if these are not adequately sealed.

Gail