Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Jason M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Need advice...Paint golden oak trim white or leave it?

Jason M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Jan 11 2017, 17:01
I'm working on a small town home flip in Cottage Grove, MN. Purchase price $110k, rehab budget $12k, ARV $145-$149. I have been debating what to do with the golden oak trim and cabinets. I was planning to paint everything white but then I had unexpected plumbing and sheet rock repairs that cost $2k. I'm now in a situation where I'm trying to cut costs if possible to maximize profit. The oak trim is not in terrible shape and I can probably fix, replace and repair what's there for about $300 versus $2000 to paint. I installed a laminate floor that I have used in several small flips and it looks great with white trim and gray walls. I'm not thrilled with the way it looks with the oak as the oak looks orange. My question is...in this price point does it really matter or if I spend the money to paint it? would it be worth it? If this was a rental (my plan b) I'd probably just leave it. I've done several similar rehabs that I rented just fine. Looking for someone who rehabs in Minnesota or the twin cities to chime in. My gut was saying to leave it alone but after installing the floor I'm not sure.

User Stats

Votes
Farakh Zaman
  • Investor
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Replied Jan 12 2017, 12:12

We are in the process of painting all of the trim/doors white on a house built in the 90's.  Definitely worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
Jill F.#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Jan 12 2017, 13:54

Hi Jason,

Like the others, I would paint the trim white but on the cabinets, I would use a product called Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. The large kit is 79.00 you might need 2 kits for those cabinets. Here are some I recently redid in some $420/month student rentals. These were really old crufty, cabinets. I wish I had been clever enough to take a before picture but I wasn't.  It takes about 1.5 hours every day for 5 days to do the process but no sanding is required and it's pretty dummy proof. The urethane finish coat is nicer than paint. The cabinets below took 1/2 a kit but I only did the base coat on the inside of the doors. -J

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Redding, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Redding, CA
Replied Jan 12 2017, 18:19

We call that "90's oak". It's actually one of the bigger dilemmas when we look at a house that needs cosmetic work. If they need any kind of work at all, we'll just replace them. But, if they can be painted, we'll try to salvage them. If you were dealing with a higher $ home, I'd say they need to be replaced. But you can get cabinet paint from a paint store (I wouldn't use the big box brands) and should be able to do a nice, relatively inexpensive paint job.

User Stats

Votes
Kuba F.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 12 2017, 19:05
Originally posted by @Jason M.:

@Kuba F. thanks for the response.  The light fixtures will be replaced, that's the last thing I do!  Haha

Spray paint them white too! -- Just kidding.  I can't believe Home Depot still sells these chandeliers though...

REIkit.com Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kuba F.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 12 2017, 19:07
Originally posted by @Jill F.:

Hi Jason,

Like the others, I would paint the trim white but on the cabinets, I would use a product called Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. The large kit is 79.00 you might need 2 kits for those cabinets. Here are some I recently redid in some $420/month student rentals. These were really old crufty, cabinets. I wish I had been clever enough to take a before picture but I wasn't.  It takes about 1.5 hours every day for 5 days to do the process but no sanding is required and it's pretty dummy proof. The urethane finish coat is nicer than paint. The cabinets below took 1/2 a kit but I only did the base coat on the inside of the doors. -J

Those look pretty nice.  I'll have to steal that tip.

REIkit.com Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jason M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jan 12 2017, 19:28

@Brittany Kuschel, @Jill Forsythe, @Chris Low Thank you for the tips.  

User Stats

Votes
Keith Fjelsted
  • Contractor
  • Rosemount, MN
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Rosemount, MN
Replied Jan 15 2017, 16:20

Jason,

If you're deciding to paint the Oak (cabinets, trim, doors) just be sure to apply no less than 3 coats of Underbody (primer) and sand well between coats then 1 good finish coat of the enamel. Oak grain is very hard to fill and can look cheesy if not done properly. We prefer enameling the trim/doors/cabinets, before walls to save time. Hope this helps. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 23 2017, 05:30

Update! This post is a month late but I decided to paint all the golden oak white after the overwhelming advice to do so. I'm happy the way it turned out and should be able to sell it for a bit more than my original ARV! I will be listing it in a couple weeks. Thanks again everyone you responded!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2019, 12:14

Love the end product. What did you end up using for materials and how did you do it?

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Lang
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Savage, MN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Savage, MN
Replied Aug 2 2019, 07:54

Nice work @Jason M.! that turned out great!

Does anyone think its easier/faster to leave the trim on the walls or take them off to paint? 

Looking into doing this to my own house since I am cursed with the golden oak throughout (built 87') 

Thoughts?