Buying a Foreclosure on credit cards?

Buying a Foreclosure on credit cards?

Accountant · Thornton, CO · Member since 2011 · 170 posts · 33 votes

I saw an article on it here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/03/16/real-estate-credit-card/#comment-230238

and one guy in the comments said he would purchase entire homes via credit cards.

So financing the Rehab costs thru a Credit Card could be a no brainer, if you have high enough limits and low rates.

But what about the actual purchase of a foreclosure? I can probably scrape together a combined credit limit of $200K or more between my wife and I over several cards, so when would that make sense on an 80K purchase? It seems like if I could avoid doing a mortgage entirely then I can skip the junk fees – appraisal, points, underwriting, lender's title insurance, etc, etc.

But instead, I expect I would have a 2-3% vendor fee to pay by CC, right? And how would this work? Paypay, Plastiq, Venmo? Who is buying homes using a credit card at the title company? If I could classify it as a purchase and not a cash advance, it would at least qualify me for the points, which would offset some of that 2-3% vendor fee, and get me to Diamond status at Hilton or Sheraton real quick.

Is anyone doing this now?

1Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

James MaraditsPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 239 posts · 224 votes
9y

I've gotten multiple cards with 0% APR for the first year promotions. One of them even came with a book of checks linked to the account. If you could write yourself a check with the funds to use and pay it back within the no interest period you'd be golden.

You can usually get a card at the big box hardware stores with a 6-12 month 0% APR intro period and use that to fund your materials as well.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Bill Briscoe@ Most banks/title companies require a wire transfer or money order, so the financials form must be in a liquidated state. 

    You'd have to do a cash advance or write yourself a check from your credit card.      We do the bulk of our remodeling costs  through credit cards with low fees, or 0% intro fees, and then we do an equity loan to pay it off.    Essentially it is an easy to way to get money and buy you time, but not a long term strategy. 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @Bill Briscoe@ Most banks/title companies require a wire transfer or money order, so the financials form must be in a liquidated state. 

    You'd have to do a cash advance or write yourself a check from your credit card.     

     At 24% interest for cash advances?? ouch.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    When we have utilized it, it was 0% interest for a year and a 3% fee, and in 1 year we'll do the HELOC... obviously 24% would be insane.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    When we have utilized it, it was 0% interest for a year and a 3% fee, and in 1 year we'll do the HELOC... obviously 24% would be insane.

     I've got a drawer full of cards and NONE will go 0% for one year - - heck, they nick you after 30days of the transaction and my FICO is above 800 too.

    Share with us please, where can we too get such favorable cards?

  • Accountant · Thornton, CO · Member since 2011 · 170 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    US Bank just approved me for a 15 month 0% interest business card  offer.  I haven't received the card so I don't know what the credit limit is yet.

  • James MaraditsPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 239 posts · 224 votes
    9y

    I've gotten multiple cards with 0% APR for the first year promotions. One of them even came with a book of checks linked to the account. If you could write yourself a check with the funds to use and pay it back within the no interest period you'd be golden.

    You can usually get a card at the big box hardware stores with a 6-12 month 0% APR intro period and use that to fund your materials as well.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @James Maradits:

    I've gotten multiple cards with 0% APR for the first year promotions. One of them even came with a book of checks linked to the account. If you could write yourself a check with the funds to use and pay it back within the no interest period you'd be golden.

    You can usually get a card at the big box hardware stores with a 6-12 month 0% APR intro period and use that to fund your materials as well.

    ZERO % APR during the first year applies to PURCHASES, not cash advances.  Like I said, I've got a drawer full of these cards and did balance transfers all the time (which are treated as purchases).

  • James MaraditsPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 239 posts · 224 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:
    Originally posted by @James Maradits:

    I've gotten multiple cards with 0% APR for the first year promotions. One of them even came with a book of checks linked to the account. If you could write yourself a check with the funds to use and pay it back within the no interest period you'd be golden.

    You can usually get a card at the big box hardware stores with a 6-12 month 0% APR intro period and use that to fund your materials as well.

    ZERO % APR during the first year applies to PURCHASES, not cash advances.  Like I said, I've got a drawer full of these cards and did balance transfers all the time (which are treated as purchases).

    You may very well be right, but I could swear I just got a booklet of "Convenience checks; Consolidate high interest at a 0% APR intro rate." Regardless, there is probably a way around it using paypal or something along those lines if you're crafty.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @James Maradits  Sure - - those checks are considered as purchases, but  they look at the PAYEE and verify that you are consolidating another creditor.  Write one to an escrow company for a deposit, downpayment or closing costs and you'll be sorry.

    Remember, these companies are in business to get into your pockets and not substitute for bankers.

    Funds to a closing company are typically via a Cashiers Check or Wire Transfer and closing will be delayed until any other form of payment has cleared collection, Paypal will hurt too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.