Suggestions for materials for flip in South Jersey (near Philly)

Suggestions for materials for flip in South Jersey (near Philly)

Thorofare, NJ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP,

I am in the process of finalizing my first flip in South Jersey, West Deptford Township to be specific, about 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia (I add that because I know Philly could have options I can consider). What I am looking for is suggestions on the best places nearby for various materials as I will be doing some of the work myself. I purchased my first property 2 years ago and rehabbed the entire thing prior to moving in but in that case I opened a Home Depot CC and went that route. My question is if anyone has a better suggestion for various materials like granite/quartz, appliances, flooring, HVAC equipment etc. I've had a few people tell me HD could be my best bet for most but thought I would reach out to people who may have found some small local dealers they've done business with.

In addition, if anyone has a suggestion on a reliable and affordable contractor they've worked with, or if anyone who is reading this is one, I will most likely need to sub some work out that I simply cannot complete or do not have the time to. Any help with either of these requests is very much appreciated!

Eric

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Tinton Falls, NJ · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 7 votes
10y
I just completed a renovation for a client in Marlton NJ which is fairly close. I used a company called PA home store - had best pricing on molding cabinets and flooring. Colonial marble and granite gave me the best deal on granite countertop. If you're placing an order for building materials, go to Home Depot put together a big order all at once. If it's over $1000 ask to put it in the "bid room" you get anywhere from 10-20% off. Then use your Home Depot card for more perks.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bronx, NY · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 168 votes
    10y

    Habitat for humanity in Burlington NJ, one of the best I have been to for building materials. Also, in langhorn PA they have a good one also but not as much building materials but they have a section with appliances, some vanities, lots of cabinets. I have been to habitats from NY,NJ,CT, and PA. I find the Burlington to be one to be the best with new materials as low as 50% to 70% off. 

    Also Craigslist in the materials section, but I prefer habitat. Also, if you are connected to a Facebook they have pages solely made for buying left over materials. Just type in your town and put "materials' or "garage sales" after it and you can search through those pages. Lastly Sears outlet or Best Buy open box sales are amazing for appliances. 

    I live in NY but own 4 properties in PA. With a lot of trial and error we finally found a contractor that can do everything. He's extremely knowlagable and very honest sometimes I think to honest and caring as a contractor, not to mention his prices are the best I have came across yet. Private message me and I could give you his info. His business is on the NJ/PA line...Hope that helped somewhat. 

  • Wholesaler · West Deptford, NJ · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I agree with the post above. There are 3 Habitat for Humanity Re-Store's that are fairly close. One is in Burlington County, another in Pennsauken & the third is in Pitman (probably the closest). Those stores can be hit or miss from time to time, but I've found a good amount of materials to help with some of my rehabs. Oftentimes, contractors will donate any leftover materials to the Re-Store & any money that they sell them for will go to Habitat for Humanity. It's not uncommon to find things like 5 gallon buckets of paint for discounted prices. I hope this helps.

    I'm also in Thorofare, if there's anything that I can help you with, please feel free to contact with me. 

  • Contractor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2013 · 183 posts · 86 votes
    10y

    Hi @Eric Oswald

    I have never had much luck with the habitat for humanity thing.  I've found that I wasted too much time driving between them only to find sets of cabinets that were missing something or special order items that rarely worked for me.  I did score a case of 30 or so brand new doorknobs for next to nothing, so that was cool.

    Here are my suggestions:

    Countertops: Imperial Design in Gloucester City.  They were priced right and very quick.  Excellent quality. I've only gotten formica from them, but I'm sure they do just as great a job with granite.

    Appliances:  If you want a package I have always found Home Depot/Lowes had the best package pricing.  If you need a piece here and there you can usually pick up something in the clearance section there for dirt cheap.

    Flooring: Again, I've use home depot/lowes.  I have them install carpet but always did the hardwood/tile/laminate install myself.

    HVAC equipment:  I used ACE plumbing in Vineland to buy the material.  You get the 3.5% sales tax rate there.  I also picked up tankless water heaters from them.

    As far as contractor, I have one that I used but he is not the cheapest.  I have gone the route of cheap contractor and paid for it in the end.  I can send you the name of the contractor if you would like.  They are located in Williamstown and always show up and do great work.

    Let me know if there is anything else that you need and I can pass along my contacts.

    Good Luck!

  • Thorofare, NJ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi Angie, I appreciate the info about Habitat. That's something I haven't thought of. I am definitely going to check them out. I am also going to message you for the contractor details. If he is close to NJ/PA line he should be pretty close to me. Thanks again!

    Bob, you're right Pitman is definitely the closest but I'll have to check out all three. With you being in my town I will definitely like to connect with you so thanks for the offer!

    Charlie, thank you as well. I definitely think I will end up with the majority from Home Depot simply because of the convenience but I definitely want to check out the HVAC and countertop store.

    One additional question I wanted to pose on the topic of Home Depot. Has anyone utilized their internal renovation loan program they have? I was also taking a look at that considering I would be buying a lot from there and I believe their loans are up to 15k and interest free for 6 months? My thought is if I can save from pulling cash out of pocket for a bunch of materials and not pay interest for those 6 months it could be worth it. Ideally the house will be sold prior to then and I can pay off that loan without paying any interest at all. Haven't dug too deep here but have seen the ads and gotten emails from them about it based on having the HD credit card.

  • Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Great information everyone, thanks!

    @Angie Williams Can you also PM me your reliable contractor contact that you use in PA?  

  • Contractor · Tinton Falls, NJ · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    I just completed a renovation for a client in Marlton NJ which is fairly close. I used a company called PA home store - had best pricing on molding cabinets and flooring. Colonial marble and granite gave me the best deal on granite countertop. If you're placing an order for building materials, go to Home Depot put together a big order all at once. If it's over $1000 ask to put it in the "bid room" you get anywhere from 10-20% off. Then use your Home Depot card for more perks.
  • South Plainfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 72 posts · 23 votes
    10y
    Great Info
  • Thorofare, NJ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thank you @Michael Rubino that was very helpful and I plan to check out PA Home Store this week. I happen to work 10 minutes down the road!

  • Vendor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    When looking for cabinets be sure that you are getting KCMA certified products, it is a quality control standard.  With a wholesale supplier you will generally get 40% + off of the retail price that the big box suppliers sell for.  If you have any questions about cabinets you can PM me I am happy to help.  The cabinet industry has a lot of options with varying qualities and it can be confusing to navigate.

  • Real Estate Agent · Blackwood, NJ · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Bellmawr Surplus has the best price on trim! They also have a great selection on kitchen and bath cabinetry and counters. I have been to the Habitat store a few times, they are great for odds ends, I use a lot of their items in my rentals. I also agree with Imperial design for counters. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    9y

    I have gotten some vanities from:

    S & R Discount Home Center Inc.
    1 W. Broad Ave
    Berlin NJ 08009

    I initially found them on Craigslist South Jersey. Search "vanity" and you will see listings from Berlin, NJ. I could not post the phone #. They have a good selection and good prices. They also do kitchens and I think countertops, but I haven't used them for those services.

  • Woodland Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi @Eric Oswald,

    If you are willing to do some assembly yourself, I purchased great cabinets from Custom Service Hardware

    Although they are online (not in NJ), they shipped in a couple weeks, were easy to assemble and look great.  Happy to send some pics of mine. 

    On an unrelated note, I have some questions for you regarding building permits and how you plan to apply for the ones on this new flip.  I purchased the home where I currently reside a year ago, and did 95% of the rehab work myself.  The building official said I was allowed to do work myself since I planned to occupy.  I guess I am confused as to whether state law requires me to have contractor pull permits if the property is an "investment" vs owner occupied.  Perhaps it varies at the municipal level as well? 

    Sorry to digress - and best of luck on your upcoming flip!

  • Glassboro, NJ · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    @Angie Williams I'm in the southern New Jersey area looking for a good contractor could you please provide me the contact info of the contractor you had mentioned in the other thread, thank you!
  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y

    Lots of great feedback here! Thanks to everyone sharing their insights. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.