It's hardwood really worth the extra money and hassle?

It's hardwood really worth the extra money and hassle?

Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 8 votes

Personally, I prefer stronger products,but that's not to say the appeal of hardwood is lost on me.  Long story short I have a full rehab with a tight budget that I want to sell for 300-340.

It's in va beach in a great neighborhood with Comps that support a 300k sale. 

It's an older neighborhood so all the houses have hardwood but aside from that most have very cheap and outdated look.  

I'm confident that my house will sell quickly with the layout I have planned and the only thing left to decide on are the floors. 

It has laminate floors with minor water damage that doesn't match the contemporary look im going for.  So do I replace them with laminate or do I replace them with hardwood. Again budget is tight so I'm only doing what will pay off most (once I figure out what that is).is hardwood worth the extra money when it come to resale value? 

Side note: all recommendation onwhere to get floors cheap are appreciated . Also I'm very big on the diy so that's another saving I get from laminate. 

0Reply
24 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 461 posts · 262 votes
    10y

    It's hard to answer without knowing a few things, like:

    1) how much square footage of flooring are we talking about?

    2) is the current subfloor in good enough shape to accept new hardwoods? 

    3) what is your timeframe?

    4) what do the comps in your price range have for floors? [I think this is the most important question of all]

    I recommend checking out a Floor and Decor store if you have one near you.

    Good luck with your rehab. 

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Yerry Balenzuela

    It depends on the market.  Check what other people are offering and at what price.

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    10y

    I have to agree with @Account Closed

    Do other comparables have solid hardwood floors?  In my experience the majority of homeowner's will not know the difference between prefinished hardwood, engineered hardwood and at times a quality laminate. 

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 143 posts · 105 votes
    10y

    Not really worth it in most cases. I do like engineered strand bamboo if you are going for the hardwood floor look. Its relatively inexpensive ($2-$5 a foot), tough, looks nice and comes in variety of finishes. My rentals are all more or less Class B, so I use wood look vinyl tile (LVT). I get the 5mm, click lock Teak from Lumber Liquidators. It usually runs me around $2 a foot, is basically waterproof, easy to install, and according to the literature, has a 50 year warranty. I typically run it through the entire unit except for the bedrooms. Its been in some units for close to 5 years and shows no signs of wear whatsoever.

  • Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Doug W.:

    It's hard to answer without knowing a few things, like:

    1) how much square footage of flooring are we talking about?

    2) is the current subfloor in good enough shape to accept new hardwoods? 

    3) what is your timeframe?

    4) what do the comps in your price range have for floors? [I think this is the most important question of all]

    I recommend checking out a Floor and Decor store if you have one near you.

    Good luck with your rehab. 

     About 1k sqft , the subfloor looks good it's on a crawl.  I'm not selling the house for years and all the houses in the neighborhood have old wooden floors but they are also very outdated and aside from the fact that it is hardwood thier floors don't look very good in today's standards. 

  • Design | Build · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Yerry Balenzuela Hardwood. I don't like laminate for a multitude of reasons. A more cost effective option could be engineered wood flooring.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.