Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bryan N.
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Votes |
Carpet negotiation and where to buy

Bryan N.
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Posted

I saw this post

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/6908...

@kimberly S. mentioned negotiating the price, because it's like buying a car.  

For negotiating:

I'm assuming go to local stores (not box box or chain) to get quotes, but what are you successfully haggling?  Is it the price, the install, or the dumb stuff like tack strips etc...

For where to buy:

Big box, local, Craigslist, Angie's list, or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

User Stats

Votes
Ron Drake
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

@Bryan N. You need to find a wholesale fooring store. I usually do not buy from big box stores but did just buy a carpet HD had but did NOT buy their pad. They want about $6/ yard for pad which is how they get you. Ask contractors general contractors and even installers with carpet on their trucks where they picked up the carpet. May be able to google too.

Most wholesale carpet stores will quote you a lot less than the guys advertising on TV and with big fancy showrooms but know there is still room to negotiate but may take you purchasing several times so that the salesman realizes you are a return customer. Also, if you like your guy enough, stay with the same salesperson.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Pincus
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

Go to a construction site (production home builders--- Toll Brothers, Orleans, KHov) and find the carpet installer. Ask him / her to do work for you. You can bet they do quality work or these huge companies would not be hiring them. 

Note: Most people will argue that those companies listed above build less than subpar houses, but that is not the case. 

Typical install price for the installers that work for the big named companies above is about $2.5 / sq yd. The all-in price should be right around $12 - $15 / sq yd, which will include the carpet, padding, all misc materials and install.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I am looking for the same information. If not the bog box stores, where can we go to buy carpet at affordable prices? How can we compare the prices ? The outlet stores do they have same carpet as Lowes/Home Depot to compare the prices?

User Stats

Votes
Kevin VanderWall
  • Wholesaler
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied
Quote from @Bryan N.:

I saw this post

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/6908...

@kimberly S. mentioned negotiating the price, because it's like buying a car.  

For negotiating:

I'm assuming go to local stores (not box box or chain) to get quotes, but what are you successfully haggling?  Is it the price, the install, or the dumb stuff like tack strips etc...

For where to buy:

Big box, local, Craigslist, Angie's list, or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We sell New and Repurposed Carpet tile Wholesale. By by the pallet or truckload as low as .21 sqft.