Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark Bosworth
  • Flower Mound, TX
Votes |
Best source for kitchen cabinets?

Mark Bosworth
  • Flower Mound, TX
Posted Nov 1 2014, 07:59

Hi All,

I have a potential flip that needs a new kitchen.  Who do you use for inexpensive kitchen cabinets?  Big box store?  In the past I had an awesome custom cabinet guy but I've moved to a new area and don't have one yet.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Mar 20 2015, 18:41

George P. Did you cut the cabinets with a circular saw? Had to do that a few times here and there. I use a special 80 tooth blade I bought just for finish stuff. That and put painters tape covering up the finish side of where you plan to cut. If that's what you were talking about should minimize it.

Second on IKEA if your working with big bucks budget. They are big bucks but worth it if your going for a modern look I haven't seen anything that comes close in quality or matches the gloss white solid slab for that price.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Mar 20 2015, 18:59

I didn't install them.  had a company do it and what can I do?  make them go to HD,  order a new cabinet,  wait 2 days,  pick it up,  come back,  install it and them get paid? 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Mar 20 2015, 23:12

I've used lily Ann twice. Not too thrilled that they did not offer me the investor discount

User Stats

Votes
DL Martin
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Apr 22 2015, 16:57

@George P.  Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but with regard to Kitchen Kompact, do you buy them through Home Depot or directly from the factory in Jeffersonville, Indiana? 

thanks

DL 

User Stats

Votes
Tim G.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Miamisburg, OH
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Miamisburg, OH
Replied Apr 22 2015, 17:04

if you go to the Pro Desk at HD, they will give you pricing.  I don't know if you can buy directly from the factory. 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Miersma
  • West Michigan
Votes |
  • West Michigan
Replied Apr 22 2015, 17:10

I second @Steve Babiak's recommendation. The minimal difference you wil pay in price through better quality, real plywood cabinets assembled and delivered by a local cabinet shop or lumberyard is well worth it. Improved durability, improved value, and helps you stand out among the rest.

From a reputation standpoint, you'll also earn a reputation for installing higher quality furnishings - never a bad thing.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Apr 22 2015, 17:14

directly through HD.  best discovery I ever made. 

User Stats

Votes
Rudy Duran
  • Seattle, Wa
Votes |
  • Seattle, Wa
Replied May 21 2015, 01:57

bp newbie here buying my first duplex in bay area, ca.  did a lot of research on cabinets, and local asian kitchen supply stores are the best by far.

i used a 24x24" double door to price around.  plywood sides and back.  sold wood face and door, silent hinges.  

$142 + shipping for maple on rtacabinets with limited selection.  

local asian kitchen bath places quoted cheaper assembled with larger selection.  some offer a very reasonable delivery, some you pick up.    homedepot is a ripoff compared to both (particle board with cheap hinges cost more).  Some offer install, some only assembly with pickup.  Just avoid the nicer showrooms, as they charge a lot more for the same looking cabinets.  If you see contractor type customers, and not much handholding (no sales people), you found the right place.  

Also these places have granite for $100 2'x8' slab, quartz $150-200 / slab.  install quotes were about $200/slab, $200 sink cutout, oven is free as long as oven/range combo unit.

vanities run about 300-450 for 28" with quartz/granite prefab top + porceline sink.

for the most part, sinks and faucet prices are better on amazon.    However one place had sink price cheaper than Amazon. (using the in vogue farmhouse stainless).  

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Jun 9 2015, 13:54

Hi @Mindy JensenI would be interested in seeing your finished kitchen product. I am in the process of vetting GCs now and have already formulated my list of what I want to have done.

I too looked to HD as they seemed to have a good selection of cabinets. My property is a rental so I don't want to spend a "great" deal but I don't want sacrificing quality just because....

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Jun 9 2015, 13:58

Also, for anyone else who has done a kitchen remodel I am always looking for stories on this type of project. What worked, what didn't work, what you would do different.

I've done this before but only once and now I'm dealing with a difference set of variables...I was local the 1st time and always available. Now I'm not so the logistics is having to do things over the phone without being there 100% of the time. 

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Jun 9 2015, 15:21

@Daria B., I am happy to share pictures. Please note the backsplash isn't finished yet. The cobbler's children go without shoes and all that...

The cabinets are all from the off-the-shelf line except the panel next to the refrigerator, which wasn't available in the off the shelf line. I used a custom cabinet line that did offer both the refrigerator panel and an almost identical color and you can't tell the difference.

Pardon all the kids drawings...

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Jun 9 2015, 16:38

Wow @Mindy Jensen I''m impressed. They look great! I like that color. My rental appliances are white so I'll have to get something that won't wash out too much.

Did you do them yourself your did you have someone install them? 

How about the granite?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Jun 9 2015, 19:01

I installed the cabinets with my husband. The granite price includes installation and that stuff is so heavy, I am not ever going to look for one I can install myself!

That color is something along the lines of honey cinnamon maple...

User Stats

Votes
Tony Gatto
  • Property Manager
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
Replied Jul 20 2015, 08:08
Originally posted by @Rudy Duran:

bp newbie here buying my first duplex in bay area, ca.  did a lot of research on cabinets, and local asian kitchen supply stores are the best by far.

What do you mean by "Asian" suppliers? Do you know how i could find one in my area?

tks

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Denney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 25 2015, 20:51

I'll second the Ikea suggestion if you've got one nearby.

As an interior designer, I've spec'd everything from Home Depot "Usually In-Stock" cabinets to extreme high end cabinets to built from scratch custom cabinets in everything from 400 unit apartment complexes to multi-million dollar homes.

Ikea is my go-to for middle of the road cabinets for several reasons, not the least of which is their 25 year warranty.

Almost always in stock, well built, affordable, and come in a variety of styles/finishes. The hardware on them is manufactured by Blum, which makes much of the hardware for high end cabinet companies. While it's not likely their top of the line, it IS well made and gives the cabinetry a high-end feel.

For higher end jobs, a combination of Ikea boxes and hardware combined with custom doors & panels made by a company like SemiHandmade, and you've got a great looking kitchen on a budget price.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Oct 30 2015, 05:56

this kitchen cost me $1,100 from home depot. it haas a dishwasher in the peninsula.

they are kitchen kompact and i get the cabinets from the store in 1-2 days from the warehouse that's 60 miles away. the come up about $100 per box/cabinet.

User Stats

Votes
Marc D Pierce
  • Toronto, Ontario
Votes |
  • Toronto, Ontario
Replied Mar 1 2016, 03:12

Hi, recently my neighbor happened to renovate his bathroom and kitchen. In case of the kitchen renovation, he changed the lighting and the cabinets. This was done by experts in kitchen renovation from Toronto. They replaced the old with granite cabinets that shines in the light.

User Stats

Votes
Amy A.
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
  • Portland, ME
Replied Sep 28 2016, 16:00

@George P. have you ordered kitchen kompact from HD lately?  I don't see it on their website.  Do you think any HD can get it or just your Michigan store?  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Sep 28 2016, 17:10
Originally posted by @Amy A.:

@George P. have you ordered kitchen kompact from HD lately?  I don't see it on their website.  Do you think any HD can get it or just your Michigan store?  Thank you!

Yes, I have ordered 7 kitchens this year.  Maybe more, can't remember. Menards even have kitchen kompact in stock, but a different color. 

I think that line is available only in Michigan to be honest...  but u have to go to your store and talk to the lead designer... And ask him ALL the lines they carry.  I bet u all states have local lines that never advertised.. Yet, just as good. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Moore
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 27 2017, 08:42
Originally posted by @George P.:

i am shocked that no one has mentioned Kitchen Kompact.

here is how it looks. this is Chad Oak

I just did one with 14 cabinets, toe kicks, crown molding for around $1400. that's cabinets only. 

this is the same line, just a darker finish:

all the builders get it here since they are available the next day from the warehouse close by. it ends up being about $100 per cabinet and you dont have to stain, assemble, all that crap. they are great cabinets, wooden doors. the back is a little thin, but never had an issue.

they dont even have a display at HD. you have to ask and they can show you the different (4-5) door styles they have. they are 4x better than in store stock junk.

http://www.kitchenkompact.com/styles2.htm

i looked at the sites you posted above. the % discount doodoo is a red flag of "let's make it look like a whole sale price and website (very busy is the motto here) and still charge people that look for a deal $2-3k+ for a 10x10 kitchen. then we will get them on the "Accessories"". so you think it's a "great discount place, screw these box stores".

the only negative with KK is when i did the darker one. looks AMAZING, but the saw was not sharp enough and it chipped the corners. the DARK skin is VERY thin and the white below shows and stands out like a sore thumb.

noone can beat HD KK cabinet prices and delivery. i have tried their other distributors and they were all higher.

i can go on and on, but if i have not convinced you by now, i should just stop.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Moore
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 27 2017, 08:43

George,

Maybe I am missing it, but I thought you said they were assembled already. What is your contractor cutting with a circular saw?

thanks,

mark

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Aug 27 2017, 09:10
Originally posted by @Mark Moore:

George,

Maybe I am missing it, but I thought you said they were assembled already. What is your contractor cutting with a circular saw?

thanks,

mark

I have employees that install these weekly. Great cabinets

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Trevor T.
  • Contractor
  • Matthews, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Matthews, NC
Replied Aug 27 2017, 09:13

I’m going to agree with the others suggesting the Chinese cabinets. They’re cheaper than box stores and higher quality. I used to get mine from Lifeart cabinets out of Atlanta.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Moore
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 27 2017, 09:19

But what are your employees cutting if these cabinets are assembled already?

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 04:08

These are the Ikea kitchens I've been doing. Up to 10 at this point and doing 4 right now.  All mine are rentals but I would do them in flips if I did that.  That was 2200 with the fridge panels an all hidden drawers inside the draw pullouts(see below) If I wanted to go cheaper I could use another door style and get it down to around 1200 with no fridge panels and a cheaper door.