tripping over dollars, trying to chase a dime.

tripping over dollars, trying to chase a dime.

Newberg, OR · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 7 votes

Hello BP community, this is my first post. I'm a Realtor and new investor outside of Portland, Oregon. Writing this post in a bit of a peeved mood and figured some of you seasoned guys could throw in some advice/laugh at me. First off, I never really imagined I would a flip a house. Partly because I have never really swung a hammer or have been too handy. Most detailed conversations with contractors go right over my head. However, I have always had a passion for homes and RE. Seeing a home in its worst state, and then watching someone renovate and practically make a whole street better is just captivating to me. At the end, it truly is about making a buck though. I caught a glimpse at where that line is. 

Like I said, never really thought I would flip a house until I got the luckiest floor call at my RE office. The conversation was basically: "I need to sell my house. Not making this months payment and I do not care If I sell for what I owe." Me in Realtor mode thought "sweet, quick 6% in 2 weeks and a list back after 1 or 2 phone calls to some local builders". After the listing appointment and signing the papers I sat in my truck and thought to myself, all this needs is a little lipstick, why can't I do it? Long story shirt, I got back out, knocked on his door and filled out an earnest money agreement and made an offer for what he owed. Secured some OPM at 10% and then got to work on the light demo myself (ripping out carpet and trim and doors, awesome stress relief to some Zeppelin)

Once it was a shell and got some bids from some great local contractors, my mind started turning. I went from how clean and great it will be for the neighborhood, to how many pennies can I pinch. My reno strategy was literally I can get this at lowes and have a handyman do this and handyman do that I can paint this and I can paint that.... 2 months later at 2 interest payments later and a fat bill from my not-so handy handyman... I'm paying those trusted contractors to come back and fix lousy work... What hurts the most is the darn thing could be done and probably be in escrow or be listed during the sweet spot. Luckily, I will still make really good money. But I have learned so much about scheduling, my personal limits, and that good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good. That line between being passionate about your end product, and saving some dough.

2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
12y

I use "handymen" a lot.  Good handymen can do a good job and save you a bunch of money.  You may just need to spend some time to find the good ones.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed  Congratulations, that is a lesson that takes some people years to learn. And .... you acted. Great first steps.

    Welcome to BiggerPockets. You will find this to be a great resource, and a very helpful community.

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    It's a false analogy to say your problems with the flip came from trying to save money.  Your problems were a result of typical mistakes made on your first flip: mainly mismanaging  contractors.  I recommend you read J Scotts books so you accelerate your learning curve on how to handle contractors correctly.  I promise you he spends less money on some flips than you did on this one and gets much better results.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed ..Welcome to BP!  We learn and grow the most from the mistakes...keep it moving!! Good luck!

  • Newberg, OR · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    @Steve B.  I will look into that book. I can agree for the most part- I'm saying my main mistake was obsessing over saving money rather than looking at the big picture- my contractors gave me great deals that I should have been all over, and they are reputable. My problem was I thought i can always do a little better than that bid, and I came to find it was at more of a cost in the end. You are right onnmy management though. Thanks for the recommendation!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    I use "handymen" a lot.  Good handymen can do a good job and save you a bunch of money.  You may just need to spend some time to find the good ones.

  • Newberg, OR · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    @Bryan L. I'm sure there are a ton of good ones. This guy seemed like a good one too. Wouldn't hire someone if I thought they weren't good. He even came recommended from a pretty decent resource in my area. 

  • Jonna WeberPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed.  Your honesty is refreshing! I think it is great you took a chance - you are learning much.  It always surprises me how many Realtors never get into any real estate besides handling the transaction paperwork.  Way to go!  

  • Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Congrats on jumping in and giving it a shot! 
    Its nice to see someone put their investor cap on and actually learn from a few mistakes. Too many people are either too ignorant to learn from them, or just never have a mindset to think like an investor. 

    Having the real estate agent background & network should only help in finding your next!

    Best wishes to you! 

  • Mike DmuchoskiPro Member
    Realtor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2014 · 158 posts · 56 votes
    12y

    Congrats and well done, @Account Closed .  Sometimes difficult lessons to learn but silver lining sounds like it didn't hurt your pocketbook too much.  

    Best of luck in your future investing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.