Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chad Johnson
  • Realtor & Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Flipping Newbie -Investor/Partner deal... Is this a good deal for me?

Chad Johnson
  • Realtor & Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Posted

Okay guys I have never done a rehab a wholesale, or anything of the sort. Fortunately my father owns rental properties - both commercial and residential, my sister is a real estate agent, and I have been studying the art of wholesaleing, flipping, and general real estate for months now so I do understand the generalities of it.

My question is this:

I posted an ad on craigslist looking for a mentor/ investor. Someone who would invest with me (using the decent stack of cash I do have) and teach me, in exchange for a percent of my profits.

Today, immediately the morning after posting the ad I received a phone call from a man that owns a wholesale, rehab, and brokerage in my hometown. (one of those 1-800-webuyhouses things)

Being as I am a Marine he seemed fond of working with me since he was an Army vet. or maybe he just wants to make money... anyways.

He wants 5k cash up front and 5.5% listing fee. He told me to get approved through a hard money lender (RED DIRT LENDING) which I've already done. They want 14.5% 4 points, 6 months only, and I need to register a business name. I am now already approved with them.

In return for my 5k cash and 5.5% listing fee, he apparently will let me rehab the homes he finds (which according to him have solid profit margins after repairs). I am waiting for a phone call from him tomorrow in which I will either get a property with 50k+ profits or his other 80k+ profits.

So basically I am paying him 5k cash and the 5.5 percent to find the home, let me buy and rehab, then he markets it online. Is this a good deal or is he just generally attempting to make big profits off of me.

Please, I need your opinions. This is my first flip in houses, I don't want to lose and I want to make the right moves. On the first two cars I ever bought and sold I lost 15k cash, after that I have a 41% ROI but I would like to not make the mistakes I made with cars, on houses.

-Chad

Loading replies...