Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Goudreau
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
Flipping Modular Homes?

Gabe Goudreau
  • Lansing, MI
Posted

There's a property tax foreclosure auction coming up in my area soon (Ingham County, MI) and one of the properties being auctioned I found out is a 3 bed, 2 bath modular home. There are other modular homes in the area, but there is no info about them selling on the MLS to use as comps, I'm assuming this is because they were just purchased as a lot and placed a modular home on it. There is also no open house for this property, I would have to buy it sight unseen.

Does anyone have experience flipping modular homes or should I just stick to the more competitive SFH's on this auction?

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Replied

What is your goal with the purchase? Buy and sell? Buy and hold?

Regardless,

1) Make sure the modular home is affixed to the land. 

2) Do some research to confirm these modulars are financeable. If you are stuck with a modular home that can't be financed, you will never find an end buyer.

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Goudreau
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
  • Lansing, MI
Replied

My goal is to fix and sell, it is mostly a cleanout from the looks of it, and I believe that it is affixed to the land. Great suggestion about being able to be financed, I will call some local lenders and ask. Thank you! 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Gabe Goudreau If you're planning on fixing up the home and selling, it's best to make sure there's market demand for modular homes in the area. The last thing you want is to be left with a home no one is willing to buy at the price you're asking. 

As for comps, if there are other modular homes in the area you may want to check sites like Zillow or Redfin to see if there is data on those properties. 

The other option is to fix up and rent which may work if there's enough demand in the area. 

Hope that helps!