Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Scaife
Pro Member
Votes |
Deciding when to Rehab

Ryan Scaife
Pro Member
Posted

I recently closed on a contract on a half duplex in a solid appreciating market. My plan is to stabilize the side I purchased with cosmetic rehab (flooring, paint, cabinetry) before working with the owner of the other side to purchase it and do the same. I got the property for under market value so I believe there is potential to BRRRR this property.

On the day of closing I did a walk through and met the tenants of the other side. I noticed a stench of marijuana smoke on a shared back porch, and that they leave their property looking less ideal from the outside that will impact the outlook on my property with potential tenants.

It has me questioning how I should approach my property. I could wait to do my renovations and just lay down new flooring for now and advertise for rent while waiting to purchase the other side, but that could hurt my appraisal, and refinance amount. However, with the current tenant situation I fear that by increasing the quality of the property right now may not get me the higher rents needed to justify until the tenant situation next door is resolved.

Looking for advice on how to navigate the situation.

Loading replies...