Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sam Issa
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Finding deal in a saturated market

Sam Issa
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Posted

Hello BP Community,

I've been working hard to find my next fix & flip property here in South Florida, just north of Miami. A saturated and expensive market. 

I've tried working through wholesalers, but the numbers just don't make sense. Nothing below 80%, minus rehab. I tried doing direct mail myself, but the response rate has been very low. D4D didn't return any results.

For those of you who are in similar markets, what's your strategy? How do you find deals? Do you go above the 80%? I know in other areas on the country they don't look at anything above 70% of ARV.

I tried to fix and flip 4 hours away from where I am, and didn't enjoy it. It was just too difficult to keep up with my GC and permits.

I appreciate the advice!

Sam

• Sam Issa
  • User Stats

Votes
    Evan Polaski
    Pro Member
    #2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
    • Cincinnati, OH
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
    • Cincinnati, OH
    Replied

@Sam Issa, I have had success just watching stale listings on the MLS.

Additionally, my renovations are full guts anymore, which helps limit some competition and allows me to push the ARVs relative to other houses for sale in the neighborhoods.

Admittedly, this doesn't necessarily create substantially more deal flow.  But, especially in this high demand market, you need to cast as many nets as possible and, likely, take on what feels like more risk.

• Evan Polaski
  • User Stats

Votes
    Branden Rivero
    • Investor
    • Miami, FL
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Miami, FL
    Replied
    Quote from @Sam Issa:

Hello BP Community,

I've been working hard to find my next fix & flip property here in South Florida, just north of Miami. A saturated and expensive market. 

I've tried working through wholesalers, but the numbers just don't make sense. Nothing below 80%, minus rehab. I tried doing direct mail myself, but the response rate has been very low. D4D didn't return any results.

For those of you who are in similar markets, what's your strategy? How do you find deals? Do you go above the 80%? I know in other areas on the country they don't look at anything above 70% of ARV.

I tried to fix and flip 4 hours away from where I am, and didn't enjoy it. It was just too difficult to keep up with my GC and permits.

I appreciate the advice!

Sam

Hey Sam! You just have to be patient and always on the hunt. Don’t depend on just wholesalers to find deals. Make some calls and hit the mls 🏚️🏚️

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Lotus Eli
    • Investor
    • Casper, WY
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Casper, WY
    Replied

Hey Sam!

I’m Lotus. I’m currently facing a similar situation and realized that I wasn’t using the right resources or consistently marketing to a single, optimized list. You might want to create a list of 50-100 prospective properties that meet your criteria using a tool like PropStream, optimize it, and then market to that list up to 30 times a quarter. When you’re pressed for time or eager to start a project and need things to move faster, consider outsourcing tasks for efficiency.

Overall, I think you should go back to the drawing board, build a specific and optimized list, and market to it consistently. Alternatively, you could work with a realtor; by providing value and building good rapport, you might get access to pocket listings. I hope this makes sense and helps you! I studied this in school, so I have some expertise in this area. I’d love to strategize with you if you’re open to it. Maybe we could work together to reach our deal goals!

User Stats

Votes
    Robert Ellis
    Agent
    • Developer
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Developer
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied
    Quote from @Sam Issa:

Hello BP Community,

I appreciate the advice!

Sam

you can do ground up and there's no competition. areas like florida city, homestead, Vero beach, depending on your comfort level. I like areas that are very difficult to enter so there's little competition. I'd look at land development as an equity capture tool to generate additional returns. land is a buyer's market in almost every market. you just have to expand what you are willing to do or your strategies. I'm happy to discuss I'll shoot you a dm 

User Stats

Votes
    Joe Morello
    Agent
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    Replied
    Quote from @Sam Issa:

Hello BP Community,

I appreciate the advice!

Sam

Tell me about it. Being in West Palm Beach and always monitoring the South Florida market, nothing makes sense! But hold tight, sellers and brokers alike can’t hold on to these asking prices much longer.