Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ross Hayes
Votes |
Ozone Generators - Worth it?

Ross Hayes
Posted

Hello

We are prepping a new SFH rental property, and the previous owner smoked. We are doing fresh primer and paint and removing any carpet.

I see cheap ozone generators on Amazon - give or take $100.  Are these units worth it, and have you had good success with addressing cigarette smoke odors with ozone?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied
Quote from @Ross Hayes:

Hello

We are prepping a new SFH rental property, and the previous owner smoked. We are doing fresh primer and paint and removing any carpet.

I see cheap ozone generators on Amazon - give or take $100.  Are these units worth it, and have you had good success with addressing cigarette smoke odors with ozone?

Thanks

They're my go to for any smoke damage (fire, cig, pot). Can't buy em in CA for many years. I use a remediation company and he typically sets up 4 to 6 machines. He's adamant it be done before any cleaning or painting. I think they work great, others on this forum disagree. Best of luck 

User Stats

Votes
Ross Hayes
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Alan F.:
Quote from @Ross Hayes:

Hello

Thanks

They're my go to for any smoke damage (fire, cig, pot). Can't buy em in CA for many years. I use a remediation company and he typically sets up 4 to 6 machines. He's adamant it be done before any cleaning or painting. I think they work great, others on this forum disagree. Best of luck 

Thanks for the feedback.  Why would it need to be done before any cleaning or painting?  Fresh paint is going up this week, so if I were to try this, it would be after painting and other work on the property.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied
Quote from @Ross Hayes:
Quote from @Alan F.:
Quote from @Ross Hayes:

Hello

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.  Why would it need to be done before any cleaning or painting?  Fresh paint is going up this week, so if I were to try this, it would be after painting and other work on the property.

He doesn't want encapsulation, from what I understand OG accelerates the normal outgassing of organic compounds. He says that if I just left the windows open for many years the smell would dissipate on its own. The OG accelerates this process. A flipper I know didn't follow his recommendation and applied Killz (water based in CA) and during Realtor walk through, prospective buyers complained of cig smell. Apparently women have better olfactory senses than me lol. I've also made a habit of learning from others experience. I'm ni OG expert though, I'm just risk adverse. YMMV