Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Software/ Phone App for Measuring and 3D Design

Alexandra Reeves
Posted Jun 27 2024, 21:04

Hello all, I just purchased a property that is in very bad condition and will require a full gut job.  I know this has been asked in other forums, but I'm looking for the most up-to-date / best option to get good room measurements and create a layout of the property.  I'd like to be able to use my phone to measure the space digitally and then work on my laptop to create a design, especially for things like a kitchen with different options for cabinet placement, etc.  Let me know if this exists in one platform.  

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied Jun 28 2024, 04:52

We just listed a property and the photographer we use now offers 2-D and 3-D renderings which we opted for.  I was not there when he took the photos but the renderings were done with his phone.  I can reach out and see what he uses.  This is what they looked like.  Impressed the heck out of me and we asked if he will do it as a stand alone option to help us in the layout phase which he will . . . $75 is not bad in my mind.

User Stats

Votes
Amy Lemaistre
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 28 2024, 04:57

Canva has a floor plan designer that I’ve heard is good. But if you want to do super detailed drawings and create 3D models, then SketchUp would be the software I’d recommend. Or you can pay someone, like myself, who does architectural drafting to do the drawings.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Morrell
  • Homeowner
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul Area
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul Area
Replied Jun 28 2024, 14:59

Hi Alexandria,

I echo using Canva as well. You can use your phone to scan the room and/or entire house and create a highly detailed 3D model that can be brought into design tools such as Sketchup, Revit, etc. (Canva charges a fee for each model which varies based on size). 

I’m an architectural designer & drafter who works at a high end firm and we use it for all our remodel projects. Super accurate and works amazing to bring into external softwares to aid in the design and drafting process.

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Ivey
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Marysville, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Marysville, WA
Replied Jun 28 2024, 15:40

our photographer uses the app magicplan.  we plan to use on our rental this next month to help get a detailed Floorplan for future updates.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jul 1 2024, 10:24

I would stick to old school tape measure and measure each room 

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 1 2024, 12:31

@Alexandra Reeves, in my experience, tape measure or laser measure is about the only reliable measuring device.  I have an iPhone 13 Pro, and attempted to use the measure app.  It is not design/construction drawing accurate.  Maybe newer models are better.  

For basic floor plans, I used MagicPlan on my iPad.  It worked fine for basics, and I even did some barely passable permit drawings on it, but it is by no means pro-quality.  Starting out, I was pinching any penny I could, so would spend hours and hours measuring and building plans.  Thankfully, now I pay an architect to measure and draw up plans, especially for my typical renovation (which involves gutting and lots of walls moving).