Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Ty Clemmons
Pro Member
Votes |
Hard money loans

Ty Clemmons
Pro Member
Posted Jun 24 2024, 13:35

I recently flipped my first property and it was a cash purchase. I want to start flipping houses with hard money loans. I want to get tips on the steps to obtain a hard money loan.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 24 2024, 13:49

Hi Ty. Hard money is a great tool for fix & flip loans. Pro tip: make sure the rehab budget is non-dutch, meaning you are not paying interest on the rehab budget until you begin to use it. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jun 25 2024, 05:01
Quote from @Ty Clemmons:

I recently flipped my first property and it was a cash purchase. I want to start flipping houses with hard money loans. I want to get tips on the steps to obtain a hard money loan.

You are going to need at least 40% down. Simple post the deal in the local forums and indicate you are looking for a HM lender, 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 25 2024, 06:55

Would love to connect and discuss . Feel free to reach out to me anytime with any questions 

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
  • Lender
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver
Replied Jun 25 2024, 09:53

Check out BP's tab: BiggerPockets - Find a Hard Money Lender

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 9 2024, 11:28
Quote from @Ty Clemmons:

Hi Ty, 

Here's what I'd say for advice:

- Understand the loan terms thoroughly. Pay attention to interest rates, fees, loan-to-value ratios, and repayment schedules

- Have a clear exit strategy. Know how you'll repay the loan, whether by selling the property quickly or refinancing with a traditional mortgage.

- Focus on the property's potential value. Hard money lenders are more interested in the after-repair value (ARV) of the property than your personal finances.

- Have some skin in the game. Many hard money lenders require 30-40% of the project costs as a down payment. I only require 10-20%, so let me know if you'd like to also get a quote from me 

- Communicate regularly with your lender. Keep them updated on the project's progress, especially if you encounter any unexpected issues or delays.

- Consider using hard money loans as a bridge to longer-term financing if you're planning to keep the property as a rental. DSCR loans are great for that!

Remember, hard money loans are typically short-term (3-18 months), so make sure your flip timeline aligns with the loan terms. Lastly, always have a backup plan in case the project doesn't go as expected.

User Stats

Votes
    Anderson S.
    Lender
    • Lender
    • Brooklyn, NY
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    • Brooklyn, NY
    Replied Jul 13 2024, 18:13
    Quote from @Ty Clemmons:

Shoot us a message, let's chat!

User Stats

Votes
    Replied Jul 15 2024, 05:45
    Quote from @Mary Ainsworth:
    Quote from @Ty Clemmons:

Hi Ty, 

Here's what I'd say for advice:

- Understand the loan terms thoroughly. Pay attention to interest rates, fees, loan-to-value ratios, and repayment schedules

- Have a clear exit strategy. Know how you'll repay the loan, whether by selling the property quickly or refinancing with a traditional mortgage.

- Focus on the property's potential value. Hard money lenders are more interested in the after-repair value (ARV) of the property than your personal finances.

- Have some skin in the game. Many hard money lenders require 30-40% of the project costs as a down payment. I only require 10-20%, so let me know if you'd like to also get a quote from me 

- Communicate regularly with your lender. Keep them updated on the project's progress, especially if you encounter any unexpected issues or delays.

- Consider using hard money loans as a bridge to longer-term financing if you're planning to keep the property as a rental. DSCR loans are great for that!

Remember, hard money loans are typically short-term (3-18 months), so make sure your flip timeline aligns with the loan terms. Lastly, always have a backup plan in case the project doesn't go as expected.

I've heard of people taking on $0 down hard money loans, but I'm seeing much larger down payment requirements in this post. What's the difference? Is it just harder to find $0 down hard money loans?

User Stats

Votes
      Replied Jul 15 2024, 13:46

Text me, there is a new platform to connect with hard loan lenders that offer very competitive rates!

User Stats

Votes
      Replied Jul 16 2024, 05:08
      Quote from @Ekaterina Lansky:

Text me, there is a new platform to connect with hard loan lenders that offer very competitive rates!

That would be great! Can you provide the hard money lenders platform here so all can benefit?

User Stats

Votes
      Jay Hinrichs
      Professional Services
      #1 All Forums Contributor
      • Real Estate Broker
      • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
      Votes |
      Professional Services
      • Real Estate Broker
      Replied Jul 16 2024, 06:54
      Quote from @Kelsey VanSleen:

That would be great! Can you provide the hard money lenders platform here so all can benefit?

the simple reply to your question is they do not exist except for very experienced repeat clients. someone with no experience or very limited experience is not going to get a true no money down HML.. BE VERY CAREFUL of fake lenders they are rampant in this industry they will tell you what you want to hear and they are very good at it.. they will then suck up front money out of you.. NEVER send up front money to any lender that you met on the internet.. the only money you should pay for is a 3rd party appraisal and your check should go straight to the appraiser. If there are fee's due up front then they have to go to Escrow to be held and only dispersed upon a successful settlement..

the way to start with limited funds is to find a partner that is close to you or you find at a local meet up that will be your cash partner.. for context.. Google Ingrid Robinson and the American greed episode on Remington financial this will show you the scams these fake lenders use.

User Stats

Votes
      Remington Lyman
      Agent
      #2 New Member Introductions Contributor
      • Real Estate Agent
      • Columbus, OH
      Votes |
      Agent
      • Real Estate Agent
      • Columbus, OH
      Replied Jul 16 2024, 10:15
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

the simple reply to your question is they do not exist except for very experienced repeat clients. someone with no experience or very limited experience is not going to get a true no money down HML.. BE VERY CAREFUL of fake lenders they are rampant in this industry they will tell you what you want to hear and they are very good at it.. they will then suck up front money out of you.. NEVER send up front money to any lender that you met on the internet.. the only money you should pay for is a 3rd party appraisal and your check should go straight to the appraiser. If there are fee's due up front then they have to go to Escrow to be held and only dispersed upon a successful settlement..

the way to start with limited funds is to find a partner that is close to you or you find at a local meet up that will be your cash partner.. for context.. Google Ingrid Robinson and the American greed episode on Remington financial this will show you the scams these fake lenders use.

I wish they would change their name...

User Stats

Votes
      Jay Hinrichs
      Professional Services
      • Real Estate Broker
      Votes |
      Professional Services
      • Real Estate Broker
      Replied Jul 16 2024, 12:14
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

You mean the term Hard Money Loan ?  that is what these loans have been called from when I started in it in 1975.. be interesting to see who coined that  ? As you know many companies etc have moved to PML  ( Private Money Loans) to give the illusion that the terms are better.
      Rental Home Council logo
      Rental Home Council
      |
      Sponsored
      Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
      Remington Lyman
      Agent
      • Real Estate Agent
      • Columbus, OH
      Votes |
      Agent
      • Real Estate Agent
      • Columbus, OH
      Replied Jul 16 2024, 12:33

You mean the term Hard Money Loan ?  that is what these loans have been called from when I started in it in 1975.. be interesting to see who coined that  ? As you know many companies etc have moved to PML  ( Private Money Loans) to give the illusion that the terms are better.

no, Remington

User Stats

Votes
      Jay Hinrichs
      Professional Services
      • Real Estate Broker
      Votes |
      Professional Services
      • Real Estate Broker
      Replied Jul 16 2024, 12:37

no, Remington

LOL.. have you watched that one on those guys.. big time pump and dump due diligence fraudsters.. the owners got serious prison time.. The lady that bought them down was trying to buy an Island in Clear Lake CA that I had worked on with another developer in the late 70s and it could not be built on at all period.. she had this big dream would never have happened but Remington stole her 10k and she went on the war path.. When i saw that episode I was like REALLY that Island in Clear lake CA of all places.. !!!  that was the county I grew up as an agent my first 5 to 6 years was selling land there and  my dad had been there since the mid 60s..

User Stats

Votes
      Jay Hinrichs
      Professional Services
      • Real Estate Broker
      Votes |
      Professional Services
      • Real Estate Broker
      Replied Jul 16 2024, 12:46

no, Remington

In addition I almost got hoodwinked by them.. I had a rather complicated RE play I was doing in 2012 and of course financing was still non existent I sent a basic concept plan they looked at it for about 3 days and came back and said hey we like it just need 10k to move forward.. But they never asked any of right questions.. or enough questions so I said thanks but no thanks. then I see the American Greed episode and I was like  I sure dodged a bullet there.. Now we have all sorts of fake lenders trolling SM sites promising the moon telling folks what they want to hear and scamming them out of small and Big dollars some of these folks lose 10s of thousands to these folks.. with the  line  " Hey its going to fund next week just need another 5k for some BS item"

User Stats

Votes
      Brandon Becsi
      Pro Member
      • Rental Property Investor
      • Richmond, VA
      Votes |
      Pro Member
      • Rental Property Investor
      • Richmond, VA
      Replied Jul 17 2024, 07:23

I would find people that are lending their own capital and not "brokers". Most people you will find are middle men for others. Go to local meetups, network ask questions and ask if they are lending their own capital or a broker? Work with only people you like/feel comfortable with. Good luck!