Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mariah Monson
Votes |
Free Roof with Solar?

Mariah Monson
Posted

We just bought our first multifamily and it needs a new roof. We were able to get seller credit to help off-set the cost, but now we have heard of some people getting a free roof with the installation of solar. Obviously, most companies aren't advertising this openly. Does anyone have personal experience with this? Any recommendations would be appreciated. We know we'd still have to pay for the solar, but it'd be nice to get a two-for-one and pay over time rather than all at once. 

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez#3 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

They are probably including the roof in the price of the solar panels, and they make it enticing by offering installment plans. Be careful with solar!

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied

There will probably be some sort of payment plan on the solar and it will include the roof . Nothing is free lol . What is the cost of the solar ? 

• Jacob Sherman
  • [email protected]
  • 267-516-0896
  • BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Bill J Fay
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • San Diego
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • San Diego
    Replied

Don't fall for their marketing attempt. But, sounds like you already got your new roof "free" with seller credits. 

• Bill J Fay
  • User Stats

Votes
    Mariah Monson
    Votes |
    Replied

Thank you all. I was hopeful, but you all seem to echo what I was thinking. 

User Stats

Votes
    Jerry V.
    • Contractor
    • Richardson, TX
    Votes |
    • Contractor
    • Richardson, TX
    Replied

(from a Roofing Co!) Ummm... as others have noted, nothing is "free" and yes they are probably including the price of a "cheap" new roof in their arrangements.  OR, they are hoping that you (or they) can file an Insurance Claim to help get that new roof!  But since you are the NEW owner, any past storm damage is not covered now soooo....

We are not fans of "Solar" so (did you catch that Roof Vent reference!? lol), don't know all the tricks or things that they do but... if you really want Solar, get other quotes then you can at least compare them!

Good luck on the project!

w/ J's Roofing - Richardson, TX