Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bryson Williams
Votes |
Fixing up the property

Bryson Williams
Posted

I want to save money by doing most of the work myself on a renovation project I have coming up. I have pretty much all of the skills to do the renovations sheetrock, tile, etc. Outside of a electrician and a plumber do I need to hire a general contractor to oversee me while I work? Could someone tell me how they handled this if you were in this situation ? Thank you !

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied

Normally, doing the work yourself seems like you are saving money, but it actually may be costing you more if you factor in time. How much sooner could you have that property rented if you paid to have it done?  If you have so much time, doing it yourself won't slow you down, go for it.

You do not need to hire a general contractor to oversee your sheetrock and tile work.

• Greg Scott
  • User Stats

Votes
    Jeff Tucker
    • Contractor
    • Amelia, Va
    Votes |
    • Contractor
    • Amelia, Va
    Replied

@Bryson Williams look up the rules for your state, in Virginia, if you own the property you can pull your own building permits and do your own work, this includes the mechanicals . I would not venture beyond your skill set and suggest you risk harming yourself, such as getting electrocuted, however, once you have completed your work, have it inspected with the local building inspector. They are there to protect you and those that come after you from not meeting code compliance.

Nothing wrong with putting in the sweat equity, it will make you a better investor and appreciate those that possess skills you do not have.

It takes a team to make all this happen

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Bryson Williams
    Votes |
    Replied
    Quote from @Jeff Tucker:

@Bryson Williams look up the rules for your state, in Virginia, if you own the property you can pull your own building permits and do your own work, this includes the mechanicals . I would not venture beyond your skill set and suggest you risk harming yourself, such as getting electrocuted, however, once you have completed your work, have it inspected with the local building inspector. They are there to protect you and those that come after you from not meeting code compliance.

Nothing wrong with putting in the sweat equity, it will make you a better investor and appreciate those that possess skills you do not have.

It takes a team to make all this happen

Im doing work in a small rural city, Tuskegee,AL , this information isn't listed on the city building codes website. Do I just use the state of Alabama rules?

User Stats

Votes
    Jeff Tucker
    • Contractor
    • Amelia, Va
    Votes |
    • Contractor
    • Amelia, Va
    Replied

Keep it simple, call your local building inspection office and ask what are the rules for homeowners /investors working on their own houses. They are paid public officials there to serve the us all. Also, they have access to a tremendous amount of information and connections to those trades that we all need more access to. 
    you may also ask where are the regulations stated in writing, then you will have the ability to answer further question you may have regarding these matters

User Stats

Votes
    Greg Parker
    Property Manager
    Agent
    • Realtor
    • Montgomery, AL
    Votes |
    Property Manager
    Agent
    • Realtor
    • Montgomery, AL
    Replied

You do not need to hire a general contractor to oversee the project.  As the owner, you can pull any permits needed.  Not sure Tuskegee even has a city inspector.  But, the water company and APCO will let you know if you have to get a permit and inspection to get utilities turned on.  If utilities are already on, then there should be no one checking.  My suggestion, keep the city out of your business as much as possible.

Some of my Montgomery subs will work in Tuskegee.  Let me know if you need some contacts.

• Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
    Jacob Sherman
    Pro Member
    • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
    Replied

It all really depends on where you are and what type of property etc 

• Jacob Sherman