Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Puzar
Votes |
Basement Dig Out in Philly worth it?

Brittany Puzar
Posted Jan 6 2024, 08:39

Hi! Currently getting quotes from contractors to expand and finish the basement in my south philly row house (east passyunk). We have a portion of the basement unfinished with 6' clearance and a portion that is crawl space. Exploring options to get as much of it as possible to 7' ish ceilings. Will be finished to use as a den/playspace/storage/laundry. It will not be used as a bedroom. 

How should I think about the resale value gained from the square footage being finished? Just poking around zillow and redfin it seems like the neighborhood gets between 250-300$/sq ft (can any Philly agents chime in on this?) Would any finished space in the basement add this much value?  E.g. Finishing 300 sq ft adds 75-90k? This will be a major expense, so I want to make sure its worth it compared to other options to spend my money. 

Also, for anyone based in Philly, I've heard from one contractor that quotes of 20-30k were common a few years ago, but due to recent rule changes, contractors need to maintain excavation licenses/ insurances to do any dig out work and that cost is getting passed to customers. He's saying the cost is more like 40-50k now. Will be talking to many contractors to validate of course, but curious if anyone here knows anything about this or has done basement dig outs in the last 6-12 months? 

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance! 

Loading replies...