Fix & flip a house bought 20 % below market or refinance and repeat?

Fix & flip a house bought 20 % below market or refinance and repeat?

Investor · Prague, CZ · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Hello dear fellow investors,

I've just bought an easy fixer upper that only needs cosmetic improvements (a fresh coat of paint, new flooring, tiles in the kitchen and bathroom, clean the pool). I bought the property 20–30 % below market value from a motivated seller in a very hot market ($702k $562k).

At first I was planning on doing the fix & flip strategy, since I invested 50 % of my own money into the deal (because high interest rates). That way I would make a profit of approx. $56k in 4–6 months.

However, I am also considering to keep the property, live in an ADU I would add to the property and keep the house as a short/mid-term rental. That way it would not only cover the mortgage payments, but would also save us $1k per month for an apartment that we're currently renting. I was thinking that once the interest rates go lower again (in a year or two), I might refinance the property, get that initial investment of $280k back and buy more properties. The mortgage payments would then stay the same or be even lower which could add another $300–$500 per month in cashflow.

In the meantime, the property is also going to appreciate by forced and natural appreciation at a 5% rate per year. So let's say I would be potentially able to sell the property in 5 years with a profit much larger than $56k – potentially $400k.

The problem: since this is my second property, I am still a newbie and am not sure what's the smart move here. I am afraid of the “can't see the forest for the trees“ situation. What is my overall motivation is that I love real estate, am getting better and better at it and would love to eventually do this full time. 

The question is:
– Either I make $56k now
– I rent the property out, save $1k monthly, refinance in 2 years and get that initial investment of $280k back to invest further
– Or I wait 5 years and make potentially $400k, however the whole market is going to appreciate as well + inflation and am not sure if that's smart

I am stuck in the analysis paralysis world and would love to know what a more experienced investor would do.
So thank you all for helping out a newbie. :-)

1Reply
37 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 376 posts · 242 votes
    3y

    This would really be a matter of you defining what are your personal goals. You started that your motivation is the love of real estate but from a financial standpoint; what are your current goals. You described a few routes you have and there is honestly no wrong answer at all but the answer will come down to what you want to currently accomplish. If you are in need of rapid cash infusion then selling the property would give you a quick influx of cash that you could use for personal needs or other investment opportunities (is there a current use you can put this cash towards? Another property with better returns? Another investment opportunity you really want to be involved?). If you do not need that quick cash infusion then holding onto the property will lead to higher longer term wealth accumulation. As you said, rents and value are likely to continue to rise so putting off the sale for several years does have the potential to increase your returns by a substantial amount. 

    My personal preference would be to hold onto the property as long as I am cash flowing or at least breaking even. My current motivation still revolves around long term wealth accumulation and future cash flow growth. Congratulations on this property and I hope you are able to reach the goals you have set for yourself! The property itself is gorgeous! 

  • Investor · Prague, CZ · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Hi Konstantin,

    Thank you so much for your perspective and time. I totally agree and it's really great to get that second opinion from a fellow investor. :-) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.