House flipping was dumb, until I flipped my first one!

House flipping was dumb, until I flipped my first one!

Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 11 votes

I have never liked the Idea of house flipping even though it has become a trendy buzzword when talking about real estate. I personally prefer the buy-and-hold method, specifically the BRRRR process. I believe the buy and hold, has a lot more benefits and fits my goals a lot more than flipping. I own a construction company and work full-time in the business while investing on the side. To me, flipping becomes another full-time business, which I wanted to avoid. Buy and hold requires a lot of time and energy when in the renovation process or filling a vacancy. Flipping seems very hands-on, being involved in the renovations and waiting for the listing to sell on the market. The idea of capital gains tax also has deterred me from flipping, but against my desire to avoid it, I ran into a deal that just made too much sense not to flip.

I purchased a house from a family remember back in September of 2022 for a below-market amount due to some work needing to be done. My plan was to complete a simple renovation, rent the house and refinance when I need to pull money out for the next house. I bought the house for 40k and only about 10k all in closing and renovations.  The house was located in a pretty rural area so I was unsure how easy it was going to fill with a tenant. After spending some time at the house renovating the property, I met a neighbor who I found out owned a lot of the houses locally and rented them all. After some talks, he showed interest in buying the house from me. I told him to make me an offer, fully expecting the offer to come in well under what I was willing to accept. He came back to me with an offer of 93k as is, I only owned the house for just over a month.  Being a numbers-oriented and bigger-picture kind of person, I knew the potential this property had long-term. But, 43k profit in about a month, I have never made that much money that easy. 

I am not saying I will now be a full-time house flipper but this deal has definitely opened my eyes to the potential. I honestly was very deterred by the thought of paying capital gains tax on something just for selling it for more than I bought it. After considering the offer I did end up selling it, it only made sense. I could walk away from the project with money to buy another deal closer to my other properties in an area I was more familiar with.  I knew the property finished would be worth the 110k area but would only be renting for around 800 a month. Not as high of a rent as I would have liked for the value of the home but not terrible in the same breath. The property was also located about 30 minutes from my house, I considered the drive any time there was an issue. After talking it over with my accountant and discussing the impacts of capital gains tax, I did sell the property. Officially being my very ever house flip, Likely not my last. 

The point of this post is to potentially info someone else who was closed-minded about house flipping like I was. I now see that it has its place in an investor's toolbox. It holds great value for certain deals and just wanted to provide an example of how it can be a great option in the right situation. 

2Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2020 · 140 posts · 145 votes
3y

Love that! I felt the same way and always had a buy/hold mindset until I flipped my first too. Since then I have pivoted and use the cash generated from flips to invest in multifamily syndicates as a passive investor. The tax benefits from multifamily help offset the gains from the flips too. 

We've flipped a few properties that took anywhere from 1-3 months and have walked away with over 6 figures on each of those deals. It is hard to think of a more time/effort-efficient way to make that kind of money that quickly.... 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    Nice work.  Just a heads up that you will be paying ordinary income tax rates on flips, not lower capital gains tax rates.

  • Lender · 92703 · Member since 2022 · 326 posts · 538 votes
    3y

    Hello Miles, 

    Thank you for sharing your experience and great reminder to have an open mind as theres so many different directions one can invest in real estate. I haven't had the opportunity to house flip yet but it does sound very exciting and financially rewarding.

    @Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

  • Real Estate Agent · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2022 · 551 posts · 378 votes
    3y

    Love to hear it! So you have to pay more taxes up front, so what. You just pretty much doubled your investment in less than a month. That is not a super common thing to do, well done!

  • Investor · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2020 · 140 posts · 145 votes
    3y

    Love that! I felt the same way and always had a buy/hold mindset until I flipped my first too. Since then I have pivoted and use the cash generated from flips to invest in multifamily syndicates as a passive investor. The tax benefits from multifamily help offset the gains from the flips too. 

    We've flipped a few properties that took anywhere from 1-3 months and have walked away with over 6 figures on each of those deals. It is hard to think of a more time/effort-efficient way to make that kind of money that quickly.... 

  • Michigan / South Carolina · Member since 2021 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    Love it! Great mindset! Would love to connect! 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 201 votes
    3y

    I was the other way around on the most recent properties we had. We bought them with the intention of flipping them, now that the market is turning, it sat on the market for a few weeks, and we decided to re-run the numbers as buy and hold. Well, we got almost all our initial investments back, and still cash flowing well. Totally agree with you about being open-minded and considering other options based on the given situation. Congratulations!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.