Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Orange County Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
George Iskaros
Votes |
Rental property in Orange County, CA

George Iskaros
Posted Nov 12 2020, 14:57

Hi all, hope you are doing well during these crazy times! Would love to learn from all you experts on Bigger Pockets-- I'm thinking of starting to invest in rental property in Orange County, California. Any thoughts on what the best strategy is? Also, if rental property is not the most attractive strategy in this area, any thoughts on other forms of REI? Thank you very much in advance!!

User Stats

Votes
Cody Barna
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Nov 12 2020, 15:11

@George Iskaros what does your current living situation look like?

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dana Point, CA
Votes |
  • Dana Point, CA
Replied Nov 12 2020, 18:59

What are you looking for?  Cash flow?  Do you need money every month?  What's your holding period?  

I assume you are in neither Florida nor OC so you'll be using some sort of property management correct?  Or do you have friends, partners, or family in either area that would be helping? 

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
George Iskaros
Votes |
Replied Nov 12 2020, 19:21

Yes I am out in the NYC area so will be using a property manager. I am definitely looking to at least break even and a thousand bucks a year wouldn't hurt in cash flow! Long term hold period for sure

User Stats

Votes
Joe Homs
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied Nov 13 2020, 08:17

@George Iskaros not a great idea in Orange County.  If you do the numbers you will be in a negative cash flow situation.  Look into Flipping and Wholesaling, but there are many other things you can do.

Good Investing...

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Sylvain
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Nov 13 2020, 09:15

If you're going to go through all the necessary hassle for Out of State Investing, why on earth would you choose Orange Country of all places? That's got to be one of the worst areas for a beginning investor in the entire nation, right up there with San Francisco and New York City.
You can get a 8 unit apartment building in some areas for the price a 2 bedroom dump in Orange County.

Account Closed
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Replied Nov 13 2020, 09:16

You need to be able to stop by occasionally.  I would never consider anything further than 30 minutes.  There are many markets in the NJ suburbs of NYC that cash flow, that would be much closer for you.

User Stats

Votes
George Iskaros
Votes |
Replied Nov 14 2020, 20:07

Forgot to mention my fiancé lives there so have some family and will be visiting quite frequently. But given the consensus around OC not being a great market, what do you guys think is the most attractive region for rental properties in the country?

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Sylvain
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Nov 15 2020, 16:36
Originally posted by @George Iskaros:

Forgot to mention my fiancé lives there so have some family and will be visiting quite frequently. But given the consensus around OC not being a great market, what do you guys think is the most attractive region for rental properties in the country?

Having family in a market is not reason enough to invest there. It can be helpful, but only if family is on board with the whole real estate investment thing.

Speaking of which, the more important question is, do you know if your fiancé is on board with Real Estate Investing? Few things can drag down an investment strategy like a Significant Other either being ambivalent, against it entirely, or has completely different strategies in mind. I assume you two plan on spending a long time with each other, and it won't do either of you any good if your goals don't sync up at least a little bit.

And don't even get me started on differing strategies on raising kids! Or what to spend money on! Money habits is a BIG killer in relationships, worse even than infidelity.

To the original point about where besides Orange County to invest: OK, this will sound crazy, but, almost anywhere else.

First thing to do is search the BP forums. There is plenty of free information available, I think maybe even a forum dedicated to the topic, or you can purchase David Greene's book, "Long-Distance Real Estate Investing". Keep a look-out for the BP webinars, he gave one on that very topic a month or so back. And as they tend to eventually repeat, he's bound to give another one again.

Bottom line, keep looking, keep educating yourself, and good luck! Kiss that fiancé once or twice for me.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Nguyen
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Dec 8 2020, 21:12
Originally posted by @George Iskaros:

Hello George,

You can consider buying a property in OC with a huge lot and add an ADU to create your own "duplex" in a sense. I just copied what I posted in another section for reference.

I just purchased a property in Lake Forest with the intent of adding a 1000 sq ft 2 bed / 2 bath with den ADU in the backyard. The company I'm using actually showed me an ADU they were building in Long Beach and are highly knowledgeable. The company does both modular homes built in a factory or build from the ground up. There are a few ADU companies in the bay area as well. Timelines are the same for both modular homes vs ground up - 1 month for plans, 2 months for city approval, and 3-4 months to build depending on weather conditions. The modular home for 1000 sq ft is about 220k vs 275k from the ground up. Ground up requires solar panels and usually appraise better, but modular homes are cheaper, require less on-site construction (usually 2-3 weeks only), don't appraise as high, and tenants cannot tell the difference. Since modular homes must be craned into your backyard, you need a nice rectangular backyard. Keep in mind, just because you spend 275k on an ADU, doesn't mean the house will appraise 275k higher. Since my backyard is L shaped, I have to do from the ground up.

For financing an ADU, best options are HELOC from primary/secondary home or cash-out refinance. Construction loans are an option but interest rates run from 5-7%. Could do a construction loan then refinance the property to pay off the construction loans.

Junior ADUs must be attached to the primary residence (i.e - attached garage can be converted to a jADU, but detached garages do not qualify) and require owner occupancy which is a huge downside if you are trying to buy a new property every year for owner use to get away with <20% down payment.

For some numbers, my main house is 4bed/2bath renting for $3500/month and ADU 2 bed/ 2 bath + Den used as 3rd bedroom will rent for around $3000/month. Main house 10% down with 2.625% interest rate and ADU financed with a HELOC with around 4% interest rate. I am anticipating about $1,400 cash flow after expenses. I currently have tenants in the main house as I am constructing the backyard ADU, but made it clear upfront that there would be 3-4 months of construction. With modular homes, it would be less on-site construction.

I specifically target properties with large lots to build ADUs as duplexes/triplexes/4plexes seem to be extremely competitive in CA.

I hope this helps!