Why Foundation Repair are able to provide lifetime warranty

Why Foundation Repair are able to provide lifetime warranty

Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 39 votes

This question is purely for curiosity purpose, and I would like to have someone who works for foundation repair answer this question. 

I see that many foundation repair companies are now offering lifetime warranty. Why is that? and how does your company sustain overtime with these "lifetime" warranty as if the customer experience any problems with foundation, you will be called and you will have to provide the support. 

Are the piers that you install adjustable? so if soil changes, you can just tweek the piers? 

As an investor, I would like to learn about your lifetime warranty and how you are able to provide the support for it. 

0Reply
26 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto ON, Canada · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Did you call those companies and ask why do they support lifetime warranty?

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    Without seeing the recommended repair, I can't really speak for the foundation repair companies. However, typically helical piles transfer the vertical force from the base foundation to the helix of the pile. These piles are driven into the soil until it meets the required depth and torque resistance, which indicates that the helix has reached a layer of soil that provides adequate bearing capacity. Now, your soil profile will not change that dramatically over your life time... and if a couple of inches of topsoil washes away, it will not affect the pile. Assuming that it was engineered and installed correctly, the only way that I can see helical piles to fail would be due to liquefaction, sinkholes, and scouring.

  • Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    because the products wear out over time, typically foundations don't settle much more widen bases out slightly larger and higher the load is limited down force after a standard repair area. sinking may occur however remember a lifetime is typically a 20yr period, limiting this period to conditions make it a limited lifetime. marketing to people not realizing this. foundation work can be expensive, but when repaired properly and defects are corrected I would, sign any limited lifetime warranty, but I refuse to market that way personally....I would rather explain this to my customers why they do that instead of just being honest and say it's marketing and then break it down
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    I think there are two categories of companies that offer long warranties on their work. (10-15yr for roof work for example) 1) they truly stand behind their work. If something is done we'll, correctly, and with the right products, it should last nearly forever. I'm living in a house who's foundation has lasted 165 years with basically no upkeep. And if there are issues, they know they can be fixed easily and reasonably cheaply from their end - so long-term, it's still worthwhile. 2) the company knows it won't be around for more than a year or two, so it doesn't matter what they offer. As long as it lasts long enough for the check to clear.
  • Investor · New Hartford, CT · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 104 votes
    9y

    I worked in a garage that offered lifetime brakes on cars everyday. Think of it this way - what other jobs go on in a basement. Say you call for an issue: 

    You:Hi I am having an issue with my foundation - you guys fixed it xxx years ago so I need you to fix it ASAP. 

    Company: I will have someone come out and look tomorrow

    Company arrives on site

    Company: We inspected the area - we are going to fix it and do right by you as a customer, however we did notice a water intrusion issue in your basement - that indicates to us it wasn't our workmanship that was an issue. What I can do is warranty it this one time but you really need someone to fix the drainage issue... by the way we do that sort of work, my guys will already be here fixing the foundation for you so I can offer you a special price of 1999. 

    If there is a warranty there are stipulations on both sides, remember that. They want to come back because at some point it means more revenue for them. 

    I could be way off base, I am just a retired mufflerman ; )

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Interesting perspective guys. I appreciate everyone's answer. 

    To some of you asked me why didn't I call them up and ask this question... I don't believe that their answer is honest. And yes the answer that I have received from them is "Someone started to offer this in the industry, and now it is a standard in the industry that we must be able to match. And yes it is drag to our business when we offer life-time warranty, but we had to do it or else we will have no business". 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.