Living below my means?

Living below my means?

Real Estate Investor · Martinez, CA · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone. I will start off with some basics:

I work full time in the tech industry and make a decent income. I own a condo in California that I rent out. On a monthly basis, my cash flow from this property appears negative. After tax adjustments, I am just about breaking even on that property. If you factor in rising equity, it is profitable (that is questionable right now, I know). It was my first purchase - I definitely made mistakes, but I have learned from them and am most likely holding that property - at least for now. The current market in California is not something I feel like wrestling with for a sale at this time.

My interest is to invest in multi-unit rental properties. My goal is to generate enough monthly cash flow to quit my full time job and pursue personal business interests and additional real estate investments. I am reading several books on the topic and boning up on my necessary mathematics. I am 28 years old and single with no plans for marriage or children.

I do not own the house I currently live in. It is a rental. My reasoning for this at the time was that I wanted a nice large house with a swimming pool, room for my dogs, etc, and was not sure if I would be moving out of state soon. I pay the rent and all bills on my own - rent is $2250 a month and bills probably get the total closer to the $3,000 range.

I have become accustomed to the large house and amenities. However, I can't help but think of the extra $1,000 or so a month I could save by moving into an apartment or a less expensive property. I could use that money in this down market to make some great investments on additional rental properties and have a much more comfortable life in the long run.

My question to you all is this - how do you motivate yourself to be more forward thinking? That, or do you have any suggestions on how I can continue to live the style I am used to while still capitalizing on the great real estate prices out there now? I am very wary of any type of zero-down loans, so my plan would be to save up the necessary down payment and make one or two purchases a year, depending on the logistics.

0Reply
63 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    Another member here turned me on to Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover". Some of the thing really hit home. His motto in this book is "If you live like no else, later you can live like no one else." I read that as "if you live like no one else will, you can live like no one else can."

    I ran this for myself, and realized that if I can pay off all my debts, including my house (yes, some here will say that's crazy talk), I can live on a tiny fraction of my current income. Half a dozen paid off rentals will cover me. A much more achievable IRA balance would cover me. That's gives me incredible freedom that I don't have now. That's the "live like no one else can" part.

    If you live in CA, I think renting still makes a lot of sense. Rents and prices are still WAY out of wack. Prices are continuing to decline. IMHO, they're likely to continue to decline. I suspect you mean that, after the tax break you your rent just covers your PITI payment. That's not breaking even, that's being in the hole. You've just been lucky so far. Rising equity isn't questionable. Unless there's something special going on in your neck of the woods, you're losing far more value each month than you making up in your equity payments. So, you have an investment that's sucking money out of your pocket each money, that will take huge bites as soon as you have some major expense or a lengthy vacancy, and that's declining in value. And you're hanging onto this why?

    You say your goal is to have enough income to quit your day job and pursue you own business interests. That's not too far off my own goals. You're a lot younger than me. Focus on those goals right now, rather than a the nice lifestyle, and you'll achieve them in your thirties. For me, mid 50's look achievable. Don't be me.

  • Real Estate Investor · Martinez, CA · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Wheatie,

    Thank you for your insightful reply. This gives me some things to think about.

    I do realize that my current property is a bit of a drain. I think I am trying to convince myself otherwise so as not to feel the sting. Selling it in the local market I am does not feel like an option at this point though - I really think I have to tough this one property out until I can either:
    - Pay down the loan enough to make the monthly cashflow positive
    - Wait until the market goes back up, sell, take the profit and reinvest

  • Real Estate Investor · Oroville, CA · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Your best bet is to go out buy at these low prices. Flip a couple properties and you will see that the ROI will translate into huge annual rates of return. The game of life we are all in is a numbers game. You play the game like it or not. If you don't learn the rules to the game you will lose.

    97 percent of the population at the age of 65 will be eiter dead broke or still working. Those who learn the rules will be the other 3 percent....self sufficient.

    It's pay the price now or pay it later.

  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, British Columbia · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    My mentor said something very interesting. He said that people would rather do what is comfortable than do what is good for them. I guess if your why is big enough, you'll move out of your comfort zone and do whatever it takes.

  • Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
    18y

    I love what Wheatie said about paying off your debts and being able to live on a fraction of the income you have now. It seems like the natural tendency for people is to increase consumption as our incomes increase. Bigger houses, nicer cars, memberships, more clothes, nicer things, etc.

    If we avoided these increases in consumption, I think we could all live happier lives. Someone once told me that consumer debt makes you a slave to your job. I think this is so true. If I go out and charge $5k on my credit card for a gadget, I have just committed to working at my job for X number of weeks to pay for that gadget. There is a lot to be said for living below your means.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Francisco Bay Area, CA · Member since 2008 · 38 posts · 1 vote
    17y
    Originally posted by Michael Rogers:
    There is a lot to be said for living below your means.

    Michael, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately most people seek their peers approval.. and society doesn't look to kindly upon the guy who lives below his means. Most people want the attention and "so-called" respect that comes along with having nice things. It makes them feel important.. and successful.

  • Vancouver, British Columbia · Member since 2008 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    "short term pain for LONG TERM GAIN"

    "Do what others won't do to have what others won't have"

  • Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    {"short term pain for LONG TERM GAIN",
    "Do what others won't do to have what others won't have"}

    I like this Idea! You lose nothing but gain in return if you take the plunge and do what others wont.. it's like digging treasure even if you're uncertain that there really is a treasure chest hidden.

  • Real Estate Investor · CO · Member since 2009 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I would recommend reading "Total Money Makeover" as well, but I would also recommend reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad".

    For getting out of debt and making you realize you don't need all the little stuff you think you need, Dave Ramsey is great. For me though, I like my toys, and I would rather just figure out how to make more money to afford the things I want. That's where "Rich Dad Poor Dad" comes in. I'm sure there are some here that don't like Kiyosaki, but if you start to understand where you fit in the cashflow quadrant, you start to see what it will take to get where you want to go.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    The trouble with making more income is that your wants can always exceed your income. Trust me, I speak from personal experience. If you can't control the spending, more income doesn't help a bit.

    The New York Times ran a piece last week talking about how painful a $500K salary cap would be to the NY bankers. For me, $500K sounds like a ton of money. But it you've built a lifestyle based on a million or two, its a huge cut. And, I have little doubt its easy to build a lifestyle that consumes a two million dollar base salary.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 1 vote
    17y


    Michael, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately most people seek their peers approval.. and society doesn't look to kindly upon the guy who lives below his means. Most people want the attention and "so-called" respect that comes along with having nice things. It makes them feel important.. and successful.


    I couldn't agree more. I 've been guilty of thinking that way in the past.(keep in mind I was younger and bearly learning about 'reality'). Anyhow, I'm thankful for the mistakes I made in the past because if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have made better choices later.

  • Real Estate Investor · CO · Member since 2009 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I won't disagree with you on any of your points Jon, but to me, Dave Ramsey is more of a get out of debt guy, than a entrepreneurial type. I would say if you're in this forum you're looking for ways to make more money.

    People that can't control their spending are going to do that no matter what their income might be. Kiyosaki talks about that. Learning how to buy an asset to pay for your liabilities. You just have to make sure you do it in the right order!

  • Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I don't know how to NOT do it, really. I mean, I'd feel like I was going broke if at the end of the month the balance sheet came up negative - which would make perfect sense, I guess! :lol: And that would really freak me out, so to be totally honest, I think it's a bit of healthy paranoia to some degree. You might just be the type who doesn't worry about it. Or maybe you've always lived to a particular standard, and never considered what it would take to make a change.

    Whatever the case, it was a bit of an surprise when I realized just how much I was helping myself by living a simple life. And what was satisfying was realizing that I don't even feel like I'm missing out on anything - I *do* have the means to do a whole lot more, but...well, I'm content.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Living below your means is like losing weight: it's uncomfortable and takes work. But it can certainly be done and once one sees results one gains more motivation.

    In my youth I earned good money, had lots of strength and energy, and was half-way good-looking. Life was great!

    But, oh, how times have changed.

    You have two incredible gifts at your disposal: time; and access to more resources and knowledge than any individual in all of history.

    As my old high school coach used to say right before a game: "Boys, the biscuits are on the table."

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.