Penny wise and Pound Foolish- Vacation Rentals Outer Banks

Penny wise and Pound Foolish- Vacation Rentals Outer Banks

Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I spent the long Christmas weekend at the OB.  While there we looked at several properties.  It became very obvious that some owners were either unable or unwilling to spend on anything but basic type furniture and repairs.  To a large degree this affected how much they were getting in annual rents.   

Yes it is hard to put quality furniture in knowing that at some point in the next year or two, that furniture could be easily destroyed.  However, if you have a very nice place, the likelihood of repeat bookings (apparently there are a lot of families who return year after year to the same place) is much higher.  

Obviously, during the short (six weeks) peak season, just about anything will rent for a good price.  But I believe that the near peak weeks are the ones where a nicer place is going to shine through and attract more bookings and at a higher price.   

So instead of say $45K in yearly rents, spending $5K extra on upgrades and more comprehensive repairs, might get you $52K in rents, this year and also $55K in rents next year.   

Of course, there is a point of diminishing returns and you have to be cognizant of that. 

My hosts took over a property last year and substantially upgraded the property, they spend a lot more than $5K, but it was an initial rehab.  However, they increased the annual rents by nearly 50%.  They will continue to spend more on keeping their property in nicer conditions year in and year out.  I believe that they will continue to have higher income than similar properties.  

Bottomline- Being cheap doesn't always save you money and it can often cost you!

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 370 posts · 85 votes
11y

I can agree with your assessment. My family used to go to the OBX and one time we rented this really nice place on the water that had everything you could ask for. You never had to leave the premises if you did not want to. I was of the opinion that once you found a really nice place that you were happy with, why change houses.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 370 posts · 85 votes
    11y

    I can agree with your assessment. My family used to go to the OBX and one time we rented this really nice place on the water that had everything you could ask for. You never had to leave the premises if you did not want to. I was of the opinion that once you found a really nice place that you were happy with, why change houses.

  • Greensboro, NC · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 143 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Cal C.:

     However, if you have a very nice place, the likelihood of repeat bookings (apparently there are a lot of families who return year after year to the same place) is much higher.  

    Obviously, during the short (six weeks) peak season, just about anything will rent for a good price.  But I believe that the near peak weeks are the ones where a nicer place is going to shine through and attract more bookings and at a higher price.   

    A colleague of mine rented a beach house with his extended family this past summer - 23 consecutive years in the same house.  And I agree with you, particularly as it relates to our beaches here.  Everything is rented and commands top $ mid June - mid August.  For the month before, month after and holidays, vacationers can be more selective and would naturally go for those homes that have the nicer amenities/finishes. 

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    23 consecutive years in the same house is impressive. 

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I think you're absolutely right. People want to feel like they're living the good life when they're on vacation, not like they're slumming. And now, with all the online booking sites with photos/videos, people get to pick and choose.

    If you are shopping for furniture or fixtures for a vacation rental I would suggest looking at overstock.com. You can find fashionable furniture at really low prices and the shipping is usually free (which is kind of amazing, for furniture) Also a good resource for stagers, I'd say.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I would have to point out one thing about this  many , many people rent location so you can't compensate for a poor location with pretty furniture. After location the biggest thing for us is how it is equipped. Throwing in beach cruisers in florida for the rental or a couple beach chairs are the things that make us choose one place over another.  In a keys house we rented it was kayaks and for one a sailboat. The most annoying things are ill equipped or non-functioning kitchens you can't see that at first but  it makes you not come back.  The worst is arriving and being told the dishwasher was broke... I agree with you  but to me its more about maintenance and amenities  then furniture although there is no substitute in a vacation rental  for comfortable beds.   

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    I would have to point out one thing about this  many , many people rent location so you can't compensate for a poor location with pretty furniture. After location the biggest thing for us is how it is equipped. Throwing in beach cruisers in florida for the rental or a couple beach chairs are the things that make us choose one place over another.  In a keys house we rented it was kayaks and for one a sailboat. The most annoying things are ill equipped or non-functioning kitchens you can't see that at first but  it makes you not come back.  The worst is arriving and being told the dishwasher was broke... I agree with you  but to me its more about maintenance and amenities  then furniture although there is no substitute in a vacation rental  for comfortable beds.   

     I leaned a lot about beach or sound front, and  one back or two back.  I agree with you about maintenance but I think it goes hand in hand with repairs.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.