Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Investor Mindset
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marc Brandon
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Unbelievable Florida security deposit claim lawsuit!!!

Marc Brandon
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Posted Jul 17 2024, 18:13

Attention all Florida investors/landlords regarding making a claim on tenant's security deposit!! 

I obtained an eviction judgment against a former tenant who failed to pay rent in St. Petersburg, Florida (Pinellas County). After obtaining the judgment, but without my knowledge, tenant's attorney filed a "notice of last known address change re: security deposit" in the eviction case, listing an address belonging to an LLC located in another Florida county. Since I never received a copy of this notice, I was unaware of the address change or that the tenant assigned her security deposit claim rights to the LLC.

Within 30 days of tenant moving out of the property, I sent her a notice of intention to impose a claim on security deposit, via certified mail, to the tenant's last known address since I was unaware of the address change notice. The notice of intention to impose a claim on security deposit was returned to me as undeliverable by the USPS.

Now the LLC has filed a lawsuit against me for not returning the security deposit and/or for not sending the notice, via certified mail, to the LLC's address. Unfortunately it will be my word against the attorney regarding whether I ever received the notice and therefore knew about the address change. As a result, I will end having to pay the full amount of the security deposit and attorney's fees and costs to the attorney, even though I believe I fully complied with Florida law regarding this matter. To make matters worse, I discovered that this same law firm filed over 80 of these type of lawsuits against landlords just in 1 Florida county courthouse. Unbelievable!!!!

I welcome any feedback from other landlords regarding this type of case. Marc Brandon 

User Stats

Votes
Mary Jay
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
  • Glendale, AZ
Replied Jul 20 2024, 09:14
Quote from @Josh Green:
Quote from @Marc Brandon:

Nathan thanks for your response. The security deposit was $1,200, but here in Florida, attorney's fees and costs are recoverable to the prevailing party in cases concerning security deposits. (FL statute 83.49.)  If the landlord is making a claim against the tenant's security deposit, he/she must send a written notice to the tenant's "last known address" within 30 days, via certified mail.

In this case, since the tenant did not pay her last month's and stopped communicating with me, I obtained an eviction judgment. The tenant did not challenge the eviction, but apparently hired an attorney who filed a few documents in the eviction case, but I never received any of these documents.

Later I learned that the attorney convinced the tenant to assign her rights to make a claim for the security deposit (presumably because she could not pay the attorney) to an LLC that the attorney created. As previously stated, I never received a copy of the notice regarding last known address change for security deposit. More than 1 year after obtaining the eviction judgment, the LLC sued me for not returning the security deposit and/or not sending the notice to impose a claim on security deposit to the LLC's address in another Florida county.

Though I sent the notice to the tenant's last known address, via certified mail, I cannot prove that the attorney never sent me the address change notice and therefore run the risk of losing the case at trial. If this happens, the attorney will probably seek thousands of dollars in attorney's fees and costs, far greater than the security deposit.

This is incredibly frustrating since this attorney filed many of these type of cases against landlords throughout Florida!!!

Who’s the attorney? We should find their Google business page and leave bad reviews 🤣

Sometimes I wish I was an attorney. I would take those attorney to court.

I would find all the victims and do a class law suit against that attorney firm

User Stats

Votes
Mary Jay
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
  • Glendale, AZ
Replied Jul 20 2024, 09:39

Attention all Florida investors/landlords regarding making a claim on tenant's security deposit!! 

I obtained an eviction judgment against a former tenant who failed to pay rent in St. Petersburg, Florida (Pinellas County). After obtaining the judgment, but without my knowledge, tenant's attorney filed a "notice of last known address change re: security deposit" in the eviction case, listing an address belonging to an LLC located in another Florida county. Since I never received a copy of this notice, I was unaware of the address change or that the tenant assigned her security deposit claim rights to the LLC.

Within 30 days of tenant moving out of the property, I sent her a notice of intention to impose a claim on security deposit, via certified mail, to the tenant's last known address since I was unaware of the address change notice. The notice of intention to impose a claim on security deposit was returned to me as undeliverable by the USPS.

Now the LLC has filed a lawsuit against me for not returning the security deposit and/or for not sending the notice, via certified mail, to the LLC's address. Unfortunately it will be my word against the attorney regarding whether I ever received the notice and therefore knew about the address change. As a result, I will end having to pay the full amount of the security deposit and attorney's fees and costs to the attorney, even though I believe I fully complied with Florida law regarding this matter. To make matters worse, I discovered that this same law firm filed over 80 of these type of lawsuits against landlords just in 1 Florida county courthouse. Unbelievable!!!!

I welcome any feedback from other landlords regarding this type of case. Marc Brandon 

I would suggest you also write a complaint to the Board of Attorneys of Florida about the attorneys who are suing you

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Hagen
  • Chicago Area, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago Area, IL
Replied Jul 26 2024, 06:21

Please stop panicking. That is when we make bad decisions. People here are trying to help, and you keep restating the points that you are panicking over. This is what this lawyer is counting on. A rush to settle before you find out their scam. And everyone here is telling you that you have the better position.

You keep stating that they have filed "Proof of Service". That is just a form stating that they have mailed something. (See link below) Anyone can state anything. Proof is another thing. As stated before, certified mail to the correct address, would be the minimum most courts would accept.

If you insist on doing this on your own, take a breath, and re-read what has already been said here. If you can't take the pressure, then please, get a lawyer. Then it is off of you to research and find all the laws and regulations.

They should have provided you with copies of everything they have filed. If there was a certified receipt, it should have been included.

Florida method of service

User Stats

Votes
Marc Brandon
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Jul 26 2024, 06:40

Dave thanks for your reply. I am not panicking and have spoken with several attorneys regarding this matter.  Unfortunately in Florida, the attorney was not required to send me the last known address change notice by certified mail. Instead regular mail with the proof of service is all that was required. As a result, if I were to proceed to trial, in all likelihood I would lose and end up having to pay thousands of dollars in attorney's fees and costs. 

While I appreciate some of the comments others have made, they simply do not understand Florida law regarding security deposits and that this particular law firm has found a legal loophole in order to extort money out of landlords all over the state.  I do not see the logic or reasoning in paying an attorney thousands of dollars defending me when in the end, I will probably lose the case and have a judgment against me for significantly more than I can settle for. Again, several experienced attorneys have agreed with my analysis.

User Stats

Votes
Al D.
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jul 26 2024, 12:19

Marc, can you please clarify what documents you’ve received about the lawsuit against you. I continue to see no suit against you in the jurisdiction.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Brandon
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Jul 26 2024, 14:22
Quote from @Al D.:

Marc, can you please clarify what documents you’ve received about the lawsuit against you. I continue to see no suit against you in the jurisdiction.

I received a complaint, notice to appear for a pretrial conference/mediation in the case filed against me in Palm Beach County, Florida (small claims court)

User Stats

Votes
Al D.
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jul 26 2024, 16:22

I do see the case in that county. As previously known, one of the allegations in that complaint is that the tenant left on March 13, which was also asserted by the lawyer firm in the eviction case records. The form that the attorney representing the tenant filed after you obtained the final judgement in the eviction case was electronically filed with that court on March 24, alleging also that you were served with a copy of it “by mail or eService” that same day. And you mentioned when you sent your letter.

Looking it this as an investigator, not a lawyer:

You may not have to proceed to trial, but you may have to get to discovery, predominantly to see how - and exactly when - you could have been served with the “NOTICE OF UPDATING MAILING ADDRESS FOR DEFENDANTS AND OBJECTION TO ANY CLAIM ON SECURITY DEPOSIT,” alleged to have been “furnished” to you on March 24, a Friday last year. I imagine that Florida law still places the burden of proof on the plaintiff here, that (i) the law firm (and exactly who there) did, in fact, send this notice to you, (ii) on what date it was stamped by either the machine inside the law firm (think “Pitney Bowes.” And then subject to subsequent timely submittal to the care of the USPS for delivery) or postmarked by the USPS directly, and (iii) still be subject to actual delivery (time) logistics in either stamping case… To start with.

In their complaint against you (Item 12,) the plaintiff omitted mentioning the date when they “filed” the updated address notice. (It’s just the complaint, so, fine.) But they readily provided the date for when the tenant left the property in Item 13. Could be nothing. Or everything... Discovery is expensive, and I can see your point of listening to the advice of the attorneys you’ve spoken with - it is your money, and you know the facts of the matter to be able to present them to get proper counsel. But I am also seeing you filing your own motions. And it’s important that none of us underestimate your reality - regardless of our own experiences and desire for justice at any alleged cost.

Interesting set of facts and events, and I wish the best for you. Again, thank you for the warning.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Hagen
  • Chicago Area, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago Area, IL
Replied Jul 28 2024, 23:42
You say that you can't afford to pay a lawyer, and losing, pay a judgement.

But if you pay, you are already on their radar. Every time you file for an eviction, will they try this again? Or someone they sell your name to?

And will you now consider this an additional headache, and maybe not be so ready to file for an eviction in the future? How much will this cost you in the future? And yes, bad prospective tenants can also find this out and see you as a mark. There are valid reasons others have said that they would pay more, just to not settle. And I've met too many lawyers that don't fight, but give in. Maybe you just haven't found a lawyer who isn't a wimp. lol

Just trying to show some of the other effects you may not be considering, if you settle. In the end, it is your decision. None of us can choose for you, because we don't have to live with it. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Lax
  • Investor
  • Miami
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami
Replied Jul 29 2024, 12:28

Late to the party here but as a Landlord I find this interesting.... 

Question - How can a Tenant assign its Security Deposit without Landlord Consent ? 

User Stats

Votes
Al D.
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jul 29 2024, 13:55

Good question, Andrew. The following are some “Factual Allegations” the law firm stated in the complaint against Marc, in order, limited to what should matter to us to avoid similar. To your point, the lease was no longer in effect:

4. “… the tenant, rented the premises, located at …(the “Property”), from the Defendants.

5. Tenant paid Defendant a $1,200.00 security deposit.

6. Pursuant to §83.56(3), the Defendant delivered a 3 Day Notice for the tenant to pay or the tenancy would be terminated.

7. The Defendant terminated the lease as a statutory predicate to filing its eviction action pursuant to §83.59(1) and (3)(a).

8. The Defendant then brought an action for possession pursuant to §83.59(1) which states

“[i]f the rental agreement is terminated and the tenant does not vacate the premises, the landlord may recover possession of the dwelling unit as provided in this section.”

9. After terminating the lease, Defendant sought Property possession through an eviction action.

10. Since the Defendant terminated the rental agreement as a condition precedent to filing the eviction action for possession, the Defendant was obligated to comply with §83.56(6).

11. §83.56 Termination of rental agreement.-

‘...

(6) If the rental agreement is terminated, the landlord shall comply with s. 83.49(3).’

12. A Notice of Updating Mailing Address for tenants updating the tenant’s mailing address was filed in the prior eviction.

13. The Tenant surrendered the Property on or around March 13, 2023.

14. Under the plain reading of § 83.49(3)(a), a landlord must send deposit-claim notice to the tenant’s “last known mailing address.”

15. The Tenant assigned the rights to the security deposit to the KAC 2021-1, LLC.

16. KAC 2021-1, LLC, assigned the rights to the security deposit to the Tenant's Rights, LLC."

17. The Defendant did not return the security deposit within the statutory time allowed.

18. The Defendant failed to send a deposit claim via certified mail to the last known mailing address.”

Count 1, based on the above:

“20. After the tenant’s breach, the Defendant terminated the lease pursuant to §83.59(1), as a condition precedent to filing the Eviction Complaint seeking possession.

21. Since the Defendant terminated the lease, the Defendant was required under Florida statute §83.56(6) to comply with §83.49(3).

22. The Defendant failed to send a claim on the security deposit within 30 days of the Tenant’s surrendering the Property.

23. The Defendant fail (sic) to return the security deposit, even though §83.49(3)(a) required Defendants to do so.”

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 7 2024, 14:06

The following is information for consideration and not legal advice. Check with an attorney for legal advice specific to your situation. I would start at the beginning. What does my lease say regarding the notice requirement. Most leases typically have two terms: (1) defining how notice will be given and (2) defining where notice will be given to each contracting party. For example, certified mail to Tenant at 123 street. Did I comply with that? My tenant's attorney is filing a notice with the court which obligates the parties to use that address for court service purposes. It doesn't supersede the written contract, especially if the lease spells out how the notice must be given and how it can be updated. At worst my tenant could argue I had knowledge of a new address (I'll be checking the certificate of service on the notice they filed with the court and make sure it lists me or my attorney). If my attorney was served and didn't notify me, that's a malpractice issue for them and a good point of leverage that they better deal with this at their expense because the only other recourse is against them. Assuming my lease had the right notice language on method and address, I'd be directing my attorney to challenge anything the tenant does in court because the court must enforce the lease as written and it can't be modified without a written modification (I have lease clauses for this and that the lease is an integrated contract so they also can't testify on facts outside the contract terms or that something else was verbally agreed to, etc.). Statute 83.49 requires notice by certified mail to the tenant’s last known mailing address. Was my tenant's court notice filed after I had already sent notice out to the last known address. Also, I might argue that the tenant waived the statutory right and contracted to be notified as spelled out by the lease.  

User Stats

Votes
Mary Jay
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
  • Glendale, AZ
Replied Aug 16 2024, 14:47

Dave thanks for your reply. I am not panicking and have spoken with several attorneys regarding this matter.  Unfortunately in Florida, the attorney was not required to send me the last known address change notice by certified mail. Instead regular mail with the proof of service is all that was required. As a result, if I were to proceed to trial, in all likelihood I would lose and end up having to pay thousands of dollars in attorney's fees and costs. 

While I appreciate some of the comments others have made, they simply do not understand Florida law regarding security deposits and that this particular law firm has found a legal loophole in order to extort money out of landlords all over the state.  I do not see the logic or reasoning in paying an attorney thousands of dollars defending me when in the end, I will probably lose the case and have a judgment against me for significantly more than I can settle for. Again, several experienced attorneys have agreed with my analysis.

In that case, I would just return the security deposit. It probably will be cheaper for you vs hiring an attorney and going to trial.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 16 2024, 15:06

@Marc Brandon

What’s the latest?

User Stats

Votes
Marc Brandon
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Aug 16 2024, 15:11

I settled the case for $3,000.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 20 2024, 05:04

I settled the case for $3,000.

I knew that was going to happen.

The attorney scared you into paying his shake-down. I've seen it a lot with copyright violation claims. The only reason these lawsuits prevail is because people get scared and give in. This is why he's filed 80 of these suits and it's why he will continue to do so.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo