Tiny House Rental Market In San Diego / Point Loma

Tiny House Rental Market In San Diego / Point Loma

Realtor · Newberg Oregon · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 32 votes

Hello,

I with the recent easing of California and San Diego rules on Tiny houses (Accessory Dwelling Units) I'm interested in purchasing 2-3 tiny houses / Accessory dwelling units, place them on underutilized property in the San Diego / Point Loma area and then rent those houses.

Does anyone have experience with:

1) the application of this law?

2) The contracting side of placing these units on the property (electric/water/sewer)

3) Renting these accessory dwelling units?

It seems to me the tiny house movement took off in 2013-2015 and then has died off a bit...

I've enclosed the specific laws/regulations for reference.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompa... -- THE CA LAW ON ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS

http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/pds/zoning/formfields/PDS-345.pdf - SAN DIEGO REGULATION ON RELAXING RESTRICTIONS FOR ADUs

http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/pds/zoning/formfields/PDS-611.pdf - SAN DIEGO REGULATION ON RELAXING RESTRICTIONS FOR ADUs

Thank you, John

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@John Laney You have to own the property and the owner has to be living onsite in order to rent out the ADU.

At least that's how it was shaped up when I last looked into it early this year.

I don't see that changing - it makes sense from a policy perspective.  They're not trying to double housing density and hangs neighborhoods in one fell swoop.  

Course, if you build the thing and later move out, then rent both, I don't see many neighborhoods that would notice or object.  (?)

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    9y

    The new ADU laws are not intended to help you set up little villages like you are thinking about doing. They are meant to allow owners the ability to add them to existing homes as a second unit to help with the housing shortage in California. John Arendsen is a contractor and is very active in this area. I heard he was booted off BP for some reason. Send me a PM if you want his contact info.

    @John Arendsenundefined

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    9y

    manufactured housing is something you should look into

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @John Laney I stopped looking into it when I realized it requires owner occupancy.  IMO, it's a good thing from a social perspective, but I don't see a viable business angle for me.

    *** Bruce mentioned, John Arendson (can't tag him for some reason) has posted about ways to approach this from a Contractor's perspective (I'll let him chime in if he's interested and still on BP [?!]).

  • Realtor · Newberg Oregon · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Justin R. i think that was one of the San Diego regulation changes. As of the PDC-345 ADU's can now be rented while, guest houses (ADU with out a kitchen or laundry) may not be rented.

    This is where application of the rules gets tricky. The rules allow me to put an ADU and rent an ADU on my own property; however, do they allow me to put an ADU on my neighbors property and rent that on his behalf?

    Best, John

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @John Laney You have to own the property and the owner has to be living onsite in order to rent out the ADU.

    At least that's how it was shaped up when I last looked into it early this year.

    I don't see that changing - it makes sense from a policy perspective.  They're not trying to double housing density and hangs neighborhoods in one fell swoop.  

    Course, if you build the thing and later move out, then rent both, I don't see many neighborhoods that would notice or object.  (?)

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @John Laney You have to own the property and the owner has to be living onsite in order to rent out the ADU.

    At least that's how it was shaped up when I last looked into it early this year.

    I don't see that changing - it makes sense from a policy perspective.  They're not trying to double housing density and hangs neighborhoods in one fell swoop.  

    Course, if you build the thing and later move out, then rent both, I don't see many neighborhoods that would notice or object.  (?)

  • Realtor · Newberg Oregon · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Justin R.  May need to put this on the back burner for a few years and see how this tiny home market shapes out...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.