Debating on Investing in this market

Debating on Investing in this market

San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 8 posts 路 9 votes

All,

As part of my continued education, I've been trying to read anything and everything in hopes of being the most knowledgable I can be when I pull the trigger on my first deal, whether thats in CA or in TN. 

I also understand part of that is setting goals so I don't get analysis paralysis.

I have been 90% sure that I want to invest back in TN where i'm from since I know the area so well and the cash flow is hands down better. However, I wanted to keep my mind open and talk to a real estate agent about the market here. So, I set up a meeting with a local REA to discuss the numbers and what I could afford etc..Once we started going through MLS and all the "off market" deals, it became obvious that there are no "good deals" IMO and the number of opportunities are at a all time low right now. The pricing is out of control (even for foreclosures) and as a newbie I don't see anyway to justify a purchase especially not with the negative cash flow. There was nothing cheaper than 400k for a SFH and that was the outskirts of the city.

Whenever I mentioned my cash flow requirements to the REA, they quickly dismissed the importance of that and that they were hopeful the rent would "probably" cover the mortgage. This struck me as hope for a strategy and you know what they say about hope. I also know their trying to make a buck so I understand where their coming from. 

 I have also been warned from mentors and through BP podcasts about using appreciation as the sole justification for a purchase. Didn't brandon turners book talk about appreciation as the icing on the cake and not the whole thing? I've also been encouraged to disregard California entirely due to the cash flow situation. Interested in the communities thoughts on this.

I'm just looking for some guidance on how to think logically about investing in CA or not. I have seen the effect of appreciation because of the major increase in property from 2010 to now and wish we would've bought a condo back then but I didn't have a crystal ball.

My other question is whether to purchase a SFH for our personal home since I feel like i'm throwing away good money on rent every month (3300.00 a month!) which could be going towards a mortgage.

thanks for helping a newbie wrap his head around these issues.

V/r

Nick

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Sherman Oaks, CA 路 Member since 2013 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
9y
Originally posted by @Nick Allen:

All,

As part of my continued education, I've been trying to read anything and everything in hopes of being the most knowledgable I can be when I pull the trigger on my first deal, whether thats in CA or in TN. 

I also understand part of that is setting goals so I don't get analysis paralysis.

I have been 90% sure that I want to invest back in TN where i'm from since I know the area so well and the cash flow is hands down better. However, I wanted to keep my mind open and talk to a real estate agent about the market here. So, I set up a meeting with a local REA to discuss the numbers and what I could afford etc..Once we started going through MLS and all the "off market" deals, it became obvious that there are no "good deals" IMO and the number of opportunities are at a all time low right now. The pricing is out of control (even for foreclosures) and as a newbie I don't see anyway to justify a purchase especially not with the negative cash flow. There was nothing cheaper than 400k for a SFH and that was the outskirts of the city.

Whenever I mentioned my cash flow requirements to the REA, they quickly dismissed the importance of that and that they were hopeful the rent would "probably" cover the mortgage. This struck me as hope for a strategy and you know what they say about hope. I also know their trying to make a buck so I understand where their coming from. 

 I have also been warned from mentors and through BP podcasts about using appreciation as the sole justification for a purchase. Didn't brandon turners book talk about appreciation as the icing on the cake and not the whole thing? I've also been encouraged to disregard California entirely due to the cash flow situation. Interested in the communities thoughts on this.

I'm just looking for some guidance on how to think logically about investing in CA or not. I have seen the effect of appreciation because of the major increase in property from 2010 to now and wish we would've bought a condo back then but I didn't have a crystal ball.

My other question is whether to purchase a SFH for our personal home since I feel like i'm throwing away good money on rent every month (3300.00 a month!) which could be going towards a mortgage.

thanks for helping a newbie wrap his head around these issues.

V/r

Nick

Appreciation may be icing on the cake if that location does not historically appreciate otherwise that statement is a pretty ignorant way to look at real estate investing. Here is why, San Diego is #3 nationally for total profits ( cash flow + equity gains) since 2000. LA and SF are number 1 and 2. This is partly due to the higher than average appreciation, which turns out to be the cake in those locations. It goes beyond that. In some of those locations the dirt became so vaulable that condos or other new construction became the next phase. In those cases the returns become lottery like. It is those reasons you pay $3300 rent today and if your landlord owned for awhile I bet represents more cash flow than he would have had in TN. So now the best of both for him perhaps. 

Good luck with your search! 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Nick Allen for your second question, it depends on how long you plan on living in the area. If its 5+ years than I'd buy. You will spread the transaction costs out and gives you a chance to get some principal payments in. 

    The first question is a good one, but I don't think anyone here can give you a 100% answer that will work for you. First you need to define your why and goals for RE Investing. Reading between the lines of your conversation with the other investors, I think they have a different end state than you. They may have more capital than you and need a place to park it in order to hedge against inflation risk. RE in a growing city like San Diego is a way to do that. That could explain their belief that Gross rent should cover PITI. Another explanation is also stupidity. You met them so would know better than us.

    It seems like you have the more traditional four wealth builders in mind for your RE investments. If those suit your goals better, maybe it's not time for you to invest in SoCal and you'd get better returns elsewhere. Though just because you scoured the market once and didn't find any deals, doesn't mean there won't be one tomorrow or next week or next month. Keep looking and you may be surprised what you find. 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA 路 Member since 2013 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nick Allen:

    All,

    As part of my continued education, I've been trying to read anything and everything in hopes of being the most knowledgable I can be when I pull the trigger on my first deal, whether thats in CA or in TN. 

    I also understand part of that is setting goals so I don't get analysis paralysis.

    I have been 90% sure that I want to invest back in TN where i'm from since I know the area so well and the cash flow is hands down better. However, I wanted to keep my mind open and talk to a real estate agent about the market here. So, I set up a meeting with a local REA to discuss the numbers and what I could afford etc..Once we started going through MLS and all the "off market" deals, it became obvious that there are no "good deals" IMO and the number of opportunities are at a all time low right now. The pricing is out of control (even for foreclosures) and as a newbie I don't see anyway to justify a purchase especially not with the negative cash flow. There was nothing cheaper than 400k for a SFH and that was the outskirts of the city.

    Whenever I mentioned my cash flow requirements to the REA, they quickly dismissed the importance of that and that they were hopeful the rent would "probably" cover the mortgage. This struck me as hope for a strategy and you know what they say about hope. I also know their trying to make a buck so I understand where their coming from. 

     I have also been warned from mentors and through BP podcasts about using appreciation as the sole justification for a purchase. Didn't brandon turners book talk about appreciation as the icing on the cake and not the whole thing? I've also been encouraged to disregard California entirely due to the cash flow situation. Interested in the communities thoughts on this.

    I'm just looking for some guidance on how to think logically about investing in CA or not. I have seen the effect of appreciation because of the major increase in property from 2010 to now and wish we would've bought a condo back then but I didn't have a crystal ball.

    My other question is whether to purchase a SFH for our personal home since I feel like i'm throwing away good money on rent every month (3300.00 a month!) which could be going towards a mortgage.

    thanks for helping a newbie wrap his head around these issues.

    V/r

    Nick

    Appreciation may be icing on the cake if that location does not historically appreciate otherwise that statement is a pretty ignorant way to look at real estate investing. Here is why, San Diego is #3 nationally for total profits ( cash flow + equity gains) since 2000. LA and SF are number 1 and 2. This is partly due to the higher than average appreciation, which turns out to be the cake in those locations. It goes beyond that. In some of those locations the dirt became so vaulable that condos or other new construction became the next phase. In those cases the returns become lottery like. It is those reasons you pay $3300 rent today and if your landlord owned for awhile I bet represents more cash flow than he would have had in TN. So now the best of both for him perhaps. 

    Good luck with your search! 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Poway, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 7k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    9y

    @matt r. Makes a good case for investing in San Diego but the historical high appreciation goes back a lot further than the year 2000. You can go back at least 60 years and find San Diego long term appreciation for financed buy n hold has a better ROI than areas that rely primarily on cash flow.

    However along the way there have been some short depreciation cycles so you must be able to with stand a potential depreciation cycle.  

    As for timing the market and believing it is at a high is similar to trying to time the stock market. Statistics show those that try to time the stock market on average do worse than those that simply ride the market. For my own experience I have purchased twice in San Diego near market highs. In 1992 I purchase a SFR for $167k. It fell to ~$140k. Today it is worth around $550k and has the advantages of prop 13. In 2003 I purchased a SFR for $741k. It fell to ~$640k. Today it is worth ~$940k. The only people to have lost money on financed San Diego buy n hold RE are those that sold when the market was depressed (mostly people over leveraged).

    There are people that state cash flow is better than appreciation but I give no credence to this as I care about the total profit and do not care if it came from cash flow, appreciation, or both.    

    Also for the price of the properties that your REA is showing you I would consider looking on your own or getting another REA.  In the past couple weeks I have seen a duplex for $405k, a quad? at $640k, and a 6 plex at $799k.  

    Good luck

  • San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 8 posts 路 9 votes
    9y

    @Bill F.- We're on military orders so it's a minimum of three years but could easily be longer based on other job opportunities down the road. Regardless, There's no doubt we won't be here forever so It would have to be a place that we could use as a personal home and then turn it into a rental afterwards which brings other issues into consideration (distance from work/school for the kids etc..). You're right on the different pathways that each person has and mine is a typical newbie. Not a lot of liquidity and need to focus more on cash flow now to get some momentum going. But i will say I think if it was in the right area for growth then it would be an easier pill to swallow. Great point on continue searching. i was disappointed the other day but i'll keep looking for a better deal. thanks for the help.

    @Matt R.- Fantastic point about appreciation. I've never looked at it through that lens before. We're in an interesting situation as a family and it makes purchasing a home in the area we live in (point loma) next to impossible but i am interested in buying a duplex via FHA. Are there certain areas that you would focus on that you see continuing to grow over the next ten years? I can get a great deal in National City but i'm guessing this is not where the future growth is. Thanks for the feedback and putting up with my ignorance ..haha

    @Dan H.- copy on the long term ROI. What is the best source to use to find out where the best long term appreciation exist in the city? I think your point about depreciation speaks directly to making your money on the buy side, right? what part of town was that duplex/quad? just curious.

    Really appreciate all the help while I work through my own personal strategy.

    V/r

    Nick

  • Sherman Oaks, CA 路 Member since 2013 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nick Allen:

    @Bill F.- We're on military orders so it's a minimum of three years but could easily be longer based on other job opportunities down the road. Regardless, There's no doubt we won't be here forever so It would have to be a place that we could use as a personal home and then turn it into a rental afterwards which brings other issues into consideration (distance from work/school for the kids etc..). You're right on the different pathways that each person has and mine is a typical newbie. Not a lot of liquidity and need to focus more on cash flow now to get some momentum going. But i will say I think if it was in the right area for growth then it would be an easier pill to swallow. Great point on continue searching. i was disappointed the other day but i'll keep looking for a better deal. thanks for the help.

    @Matt R.- Fantastic point about appreciation. I've never looked at it through that lens before. We're in an interesting situation as a family and it makes purchasing a home in the area we live in (point loma) next to impossible but i am interested in buying a duplex via FHA. Are there certain areas that you would focus on that you see continuing to grow over the next ten years? I can get a great deal in National City but i'm guessing this is not where the future growth is. Thanks for the feedback and putting up with my ignorance ..haha

    @Dan H.- copy on the long term ROI. What is the best source to use to find out where the best long term appreciation exist in the city? I think your point about depreciation speaks directly to making your money on the buy side, right? what part of town was that duplex/quad? just curious.

    Really appreciate all the help while I work through my own personal strategy.

    V/r

    Nick

     IDK the specific locations that itimately to advise other than the general SD market location is about as strong as one can find nationally on a historical basis for investment returns. National City I am sure has opportunities just like the rest of SD. Good luck!

  • Investor 路 Orange County, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 2k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y

    In regards to questions above, historical sales prices are a matter of public record, so you can find historical comps all over the internet. From looking at multiple properties and their historical prices in a neighborhood, you can get a good idea about the long term appreciation. If you want to get more precise, you can put several into a spreadsheet, spanning multiple decades (which cover multiple RE cycles with both peaks and troughs), and compute average long term CAGR. Rents typically follow closely behind price appreciation, but historical rent comps are harder to come by.

    With regards to crashing of the local market from time to time ... yes, getting great deals insulates you to some degree from short term market fluctuations. Timing the market is notoriously difficult and inconsistent. Most important, over leveraging and stretching yourself too far financially is what most often leads to selling at the worst possible time or getting foreclosed on. You have to make sure you can make it to the long term before you can see those long term gains. Avoiding the follies that have prevented others from this from happening is half the battle. Those that are willing and able to hold long term in SoCal have been rewarded handsomely, and I don't see those long term trends reversing anytime soon. The weather is still nice. People still want to live here. There are still great jobs. There are still no more building lots near the ocean, and even if there were regulations make it more and more expensive and difficult every year to build, just ask any developer. High demand, persistently limited supply.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA 路 Member since 2013 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nick Allen:

    All,

    As part of my continued education, I've been trying to read anything and everything in hopes of being the most knowledgable I can be when I pull the trigger on my first deal, whether thats in CA or in TN. 

    I also understand part of that is setting goals so I don't get analysis paralysis.

    I have been 90% sure that I want to invest back in TN where i'm from since I know the area so well and the cash flow is hands down better. However, I wanted to keep my mind open and talk to a real estate agent about the market here. So, I set up a meeting with a local REA to discuss the numbers and what I could afford etc..Once we started going through MLS and all the "off market" deals, it became obvious that there are no "good deals" IMO and the number of opportunities are at a all time low right now. The pricing is out of control (even for foreclosures) and as a newbie I don't see anyway to justify a purchase especially not with the negative cash flow. There was nothing cheaper than 400k for a SFH and that was the outskirts of the city.

    Whenever I mentioned my cash flow requirements to the REA, they quickly dismissed the importance of that and that they were hopeful the rent would "probably" cover the mortgage. This struck me as hope for a strategy and you know what they say about hope. I also know their trying to make a buck so I understand where their coming from. 

     I have also been warned from mentors and through BP podcasts about using appreciation as the sole justification for a purchase. Didn't brandon turners book talk about appreciation as the icing on the cake and not the whole thing? I've also been encouraged to disregard California entirely due to the cash flow situation. Interested in the communities thoughts on this.

    I'm just looking for some guidance on how to think logically about investing in CA or not. I have seen the effect of appreciation because of the major increase in property from 2010 to now and wish we would've bought a condo back then but I didn't have a crystal ball.

    My other question is whether to purchase a SFH for our personal home since I feel like i'm throwing away good money on rent every month (3300.00 a month!) which could be going towards a mortgage.

    thanks for helping a newbie wrap his head around these issues.

    V/r

    Nick

     Here is a five unit in National City and he is looking for an investor to partner. Zoned for 10 units so perhaps a solid future play down the road you hit the lottery by design. Good luck!

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517/topics/456129-5-unit-more-in-escrow-san-diego-looking-for-com-builder-investor

  • Investor 路 Oceanside, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 36 posts 路 20 votes
    9y

    @Nick Allen, 

    Greetings and welcome to BP. First, you are doing everything you're supposed to right now, learn as much as you can as fast as you can so you can get your "sea legs". I recently walked in the shoes you are wearing right now being a military guy in SoCal and going back and forth on investing in state vs out of state. I know exactly how you feel. 

    My answer (may be different for you because we all have different goals) was BOTH. haha. I am actually buying a house in Oceanside right now, in escrow from Kuwait actually. haha. It is a nice little fixer that I plan on renovating over the next couple years as I finish my time at Pendleton, then either selling or renting out depending on what the market is doing at the time. Like you, I have rented for my entire life till now and I couldn't stomach the thought of giving my money to others in the form of rent. However, like I suggested to you, I've tried to learn as much as I could about that phenomenon and came to the realization that renting isn't so bad, just like anything, as long as you do it smartly. I recommend checking out this article:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/buying-a-...

    as well as youtubing Grant Cardone who talks about it extensively. Again, it will come down to what is right for YOU. 

    As far as investing back in TN, I actually have a good POC (fellow Marine Officer) for a turnkey company that specializes in SFR purchases with IRAs, either traditional or Roth and so I am actually working with them right now as well to purchase my second property in Memphis using my Roth IRA. If you'd like more details about that, I'd be happy to chat via PM.

    The final pointer I will give to you about purchasing in Southern California is you have a great asset available to you that not everyone does, the VA. The house I am purchasing in Oceanside is just north of $500k and I am putting nothing on the deal outside of closing costs. Using that buying power to get you into your first property is a heck of a way to get your foot in the door. Just make sure you run all your numbers, make sure that it makes sense and have multiple exit strategies to handle the uncertain future. Check out my post from a couple weeks ago, more specifically the answer I get from Clayton Mobley at the bottom.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/451...

    As the gentlemen that commented before me, while not 100%, you can predict with a high likelihood that SD market with appreciate in the long term. It always has. 

    Best of luck!

    Greg

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Poway, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 7k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    9y

    @Nick Allen

    >what part of town was that duplex/quad? just curious.

    Look at my profile.  It is where all but one of my rentals are.  I do not want to make it too easy to add competition 馃榾.  Ask your REA for a list of all duplex to quads sold in that area in the last year.  I suspect you will be surprised by what you see.  In general, they sell for less than $200k/unit.

    I suspect the duplex and quad would cash flow positive with current conventional rates with a 30 year loan. The 6-plex would require a commercial loan which typically carries more risk (fixed rate is typically shorter) but would cash flow if interest rates stay close to their current level. I have eliminated the 6 plex from consideration. The duplex is not listed (off market offer). The quad I believe is on the MLS.

    Good luck

  • Investor 路 Cullman, AL 路 Member since 2015 路 15 posts 路 20 votes
    9y

    @Nick Allen Paula Pant (a former podcast guest) has an excellent article on her blog about the rent/buy calculus. The case for purchasing a primary residence isn't nearly as tight as many assume, but Paula offers some helpful tools for the analysis.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Poway, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 7k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin Rogers:

    @Nick Allen Paula Pant (a former podcast guest) has an excellent article on her blog about the rent/buy calculus. The case for purchasing a primary residence isn't nearly as tight as many assume, but Paula offers some helpful tools for the analysis.

    In general I agree that purchasing primary residence versus renting has arguments for and against.  However markets like coastal So Cal have a history of appreciation like few other locales.  In addition there is prop 13.  So I believe in So Cal it comes down to how long do you plan to live in your primary residence?   So Cal has had short cycles of depreciation.  You want to plan to own longer than any of those cycles.  

    So pro primary ownership includes interest and prop tax write-off, not paying rent, principle pay down, 30 year fixed owner occuppied loan is best loan most of us will ever get, long term historical appreciation going back at least 60 years, prop 13.  

    So anti-primary includes restricts mobility due to mortgage which may cause missed opportunities, your home is unlikely to be as good buy n hold investment rental as a property purchased for that purpose.  Any others?

    In San Diego, if you plan to stay in your home for a decade or longer, I would definitely purchase in large part due to the historical appreciation. Shorter durations could result in not enough benefit to cover selling costs.  

    In general, I am not pro turning a primary residence into a rental property due to primary residences are purchased to be good homes for yr family and not good rentals.  I have an ex-primary residence as a rental and even with a good prop 13 advantage it is my worse performing property. 

    Good luck

  • Investor 路 SC 路 Member since 2016 路 89 posts 路 35 votes
    9y
    Bill F. What do you mean the traditions 4 wealth builders? I have never heard that before.
  • Investor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y

    @JR M. The Four Wealth builders are the main ways to think about how you make money in Real Estate. 

    Cash Flow: The money you get from rent, master lease, storage, late fees ect. 

    Tax Advantages: Things like deprecation, mileage expenses, interest charges all add up to reduce yours and/or your entity's taxable income. The less you pay in taxes the more money you put in your pocket. 

    (Side note: depreciation isn't really a savings per se, but more of a interest free loan from Uncle Sam to be repaid when you sell the property through capital gains tax, but I'll gladly use the government's money until I'm ready to sell.)

    Appreciation: The White Elephant in the room. Buying something for X and selling it for 2x later on. This makes and ruins people's fortunes. Two main categories of appreciation are forced and market. The best way to think about forced is flipping in the SFR world. You buy a property that needs work, spend $50,000 to improve it, but when its done the value of your property increased but $110,000. Market appreciation is to many buyers chasing too few homes creating competition and raising the price. Inflation also can drive the price of a home up over time.

    Amortization: Just like owning your own home, if you have a mortgage, every month the tenants make the payments for you and a portion goes to interest and a portion goes to principal. The later part becomes yours when you sell the property. 

    Whenever you look at a property you need to keep these three or four (depending on if you plan to have a loan) in mind. All of them will come together to make or lose you money. You can buy a house overlooking Carlsbad State Beach by Dini's and rent it for $5k a month, but if your expenses and mortgage are $5,500, you are cash flow negative. However, your tax situation could make it so you save $1,000 a month by having it. Plus with the renters paying down the mortgage principal $1,000 a month that helps too. If you have to sell it during a recession and be forced to take a price close to what you paid for it, then you could end up having to pay out of pocket if you don't have enough equity built up. 

    I just made that up off the top of my head, but you can see how those four wealth builders can combine to themselves in odd ways to make a deal that sounds bad on the surface work or take the shine away from a diamond in the rough. They are very deal and individual specific so you need to have a good perspective on the big picture to model them well. 

    Hope that makes sense.

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Encinitas, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y
    Nick Allen I think in your shoes I'd buy a personal residence in California. That's just me. I don't love it as an investor (I own out of state) but Prop 13 has huge advantages over the long haul. So you get to save on rent today, start to pay down the mortgage yourself, get appreciation in the long-run (short or mid-term timeframes, who knows), and get your property tax levels set today. I'm also a little biased as I'm a believer in visiting your properties a couple of times a year (even though I use a PM). Those trips aren't free and don't create much of a dent with 30+ units but can really sting if it's a single property.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.